SSCG Media Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Debbie Renner

1. "Great Company"

I have been working at SSCG Media Group full-time

Pros

I have been working at SSCG for over 2 years and my experience here has been wonderful so far. This place has a great culture and the people are extremely great to work with. Upper management ensures that employees are well informed about current happenings and future plans of the organization. The work life balance is great and I would recommend SSCG to anyone.

Cons

Career growth could sometimes be hard since it is not only dependent on performance but also the team structure and other things which could lead people to look for other opportunities.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Most non-professional work environment ever"

Former Employee - Media Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Media Coordinator in New York, NY

Pros

My peers were amazing people who made even the most strssful days at SSCG bearable.

Cons

I felt that mid-upper management was very "cliquey". Just like in Highschool, If you weren't liked by your supervisors on a personal level, you will not last long.

Advice to Management

Just because people have senority and have worked with the agency for many years, doesn't mean that they provide quality work or representation of the agency. The gossip in the office is horrific; incessant and childish. In my opinion it is the people who seem to be "midlevel", are the ones who have the most power trips in the work environment. Instead of approaching you about questions or comments they "taddle" on you to upper management. Again, if you aren't liked by the rest of the "wolf pack", they will go against you and tear you up until you get fired or quit.

3. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Media Planner in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Media Planner in New York, NY

Pros

Small agency vibe with the resources of a big company. Upper management are smart and compassionate about their employees. Very niche industry that you can become an expert in fairly quickly. Great benefits, especially in terms of paid time off.

Cons

Mid-level management is very green, and so direct manager may not provide the right amount of structure/support/etc. Work hours can be very inconsistent, depending on the whims of clients.

"Decent Place To Start A Career"

I have been working at SSCG Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a good place to start a career in media planning. There are some really intelligent folks here, and they train you well. They try foster a supportive culture within the team, aligning with The CDM Group values of substance, style, conviction, grace.

Cons

Upper management has their favorites-- this can be very apparent. Can be very political. Senior management is usually absent, as most VPs are either busy with new business and/or only work 3-4 days a week. When I was interviewed, I was told that I would work in a team, and will be staying late with the team working on plans/projects. This is not true. Supervisors/VPs rarely stay beyond 5/5:30. If you are a lower-level employee, expect to be alone and working late with other lower level employees who don't work on your brands. The turnover rate is similar to other agencies-- despite what they might tell you. The agency loses a lot of talent because there are limited opportunities for growth. There are a lot of deceitful people here that are only out for themselves.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees more frequently. Too much emphasis on new business and not enough time is spent cultivating the teams in place.

6. "Nice Place"

I have been working at SSCG Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits & perks, promotes work-life balance, laid-back office environment, offers education classes in different roles within the company, senior management is very hands off and doesn't micro-manage.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for growth, a lot of staff is very young & unprofessional, salary increases are very minimal. There is a lot of emphasis put on "grace", but very few people seem to exhibit it.

Advice to Management

Look into the senior management and assess who is really needed and who isn't, it seems like most of the underling staff does the brunt of the work for the company.

"Happy to come into work everyday"

I have been working at SSCG Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started my professional career at SSCG about a year out of college. I can't say enough how thankful and lucky I am to have been hired by this company when I was. SSCG built me from the ground up in the healthcare agency world. The company has a lot of extremely dedicated employees and the senior management plays a big role in the growth of the junior level employees. I truly feel like I have learned from the best in the industry.
    SSCG pushes you to think outside of the box and be the inventors of the future. We have implemented some newer technologies into the healthcare industry and continue to expand our innovations. I think its very important as an employee to be empowered like that.
    There are many opportunities to grow within SSCG and if you find that media is not quite your forte, there are opportunities to jump to other agencies within the CDM Group umbrella.
    The people that work here are great. I can honestly say I look forward to coming into work everyday, not only to get the job done, but to see and be around my co-workers. The company culture is awesome as well! We plan group outings and office parties as often as possible and always have a good time.

Cons

We do work long hours sometimes but its kind of a fun experience since most of your team is staying late. The company allows a dinner stipend and car ride home after you work a certain amount of hours in the day so that helps.

8. "A great place to start or continue a career"

Current Employee - Media Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Media Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at SSCG Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working at SSCG for a little bit over a year. The best thing about my job are the people who I work with. If you are coming in to an entry level position, you will soon find that all managers and higher ups are 100% willing to help you grow and learn. I have never once felt nervous or intimidated to ask questions. Training is very important and I'm pretty amazed at how much I've learned about the industry in the last year.

The benefits and health care coverage are all very impressive. The vacation days and days off are also incredible. There is a large break during the holidays and you even get your birthday as a vacation day! Also, during the summer we get out at 1:00pm.

Pharmaceutical media planning is also, in general, a pretty fun industry to be in. It's a "smallish" industry filled with fun, smart people.

I was once told that "People don't leave SSCG. They just continue to move up the ladder" and I really think that this is true. There are so many employees here that have created a career and a life for themselves at SSCG. They have started as coordinators or assistants and have moved up to be supervisors, vice presidents, ect.

Cons

If you are looking for a set 9-5, this might not be the place for you. There are going to be some late nights here and there, especially during planning season. However, if you work after 9:00PM, a car is provided to ensure that you get home safely.

9. "Amazing place to begin/continue your career!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at SSCG Media Group (More than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoy coming to work each day because I work with such a great group of people. You feel like you are part of a family. Supervisors are always there for support and have your back no matter what. The department takes their core values of Substance, Style, Conviction, and Grace very seriously and it exudes through the work delivered. SSCG is constantly evolving and staying ahead of the times, always creating new opportunities for employees and challenging them. Managing Partner Debbie Renner, has been a mentor to me throughout my many years with the group. She is so approachable, hardworking, intelligent and caring. I can't imagine our group being where we are today without her leadership. The company is very generous with time-off (we get the whole week off Christmas-New Years!), Summer Fridays, Birthday off, encourages volunteering with GoodWorks program, and offers great benefits. Overall, amazing place to work!

Cons

You will stay very busy and at times (especially during planning season), there can be a few late nights. Otherwise, work-life balance is a priority.

10. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at SSCG Media Group (More than 10 years)

Pros

SSCG Media is a really a family. Employees' are cared about and treated extremely well. Managers have an open door policy and any time I have needed support or asked for help, they have been there for me. I feel I am set up for success and have the tools I need to do my job well. They have their employees' back! Managers work hard and lead by example. There is an opportunity to be exposed to all types of multichannel media which is exciting. We take advantage of tried and true but also are one step ahead and launch new offerings/technology. We are definitely considered a leader and experts in the field. We do things right and offer clients the best work possible and we have fun!

Cons

Not exactly a con but you will be busy, work hard and multitask.

11. "It really doesn’t get any better than SSCG Media!"

I have been working at SSCG Media Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I’m still blown away by this place. Everyone works so hard because they genuinely care about doing amazing work. The core values they talked about in my interview are “real” and not just lip service. I’ve been with several media agencies and have never been at a place that cares so much about their people, about fostering an environment of “good human beings” who respect each other, and about constantly evolving and improving themselves. They are way ahead of their competitors and I’m proud to be a part of it. Leadership is very forward thinking and works just as hard as everyone else -- if not harder. They really care - and it shows.

Cons

You work really hard. But then again, if you're dedicated and do a great job - there is huge career opportunity.

Advice to Management

Thank you!