SSPR Reviews | Glassdoor

SSPR Reviews

Updated 8 Nov 2018

Found 58 reviews

3.4
SSPR CEO 	Heather Kelly (no image)
Heather Kelly

"Account Executive"

I worked at SSPR full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule. Strictly 9-5. Don't have to write releases and bylines, just pitches and briefing documents.

Cons

Lacks leadership. Don't know hot to train and help employees grow. Lack of communication in a communication agency, ironic. Favors other employees over others.

SSPR2015-08-16
  2. "c"

I have been working at SSPR full-time

Pros

organized, professional, culturally diversified, team oriented

Cons

far away, technically focused benefits limited

SSPR2015-06-11

"I will not speak about this topic"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Sea Girt, NJ

I worked at SSPR full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Small business owners and they are appropriate

Cons

Tasks become. Boring after years of working

Advice to Management

Cross train all your employees

SSPR2015-03-13

"A wonderful place to start your career"

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive

I have been working at SSPR full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've interned at a few PR firms but nothing compares to the hands-on training I got from the moment I joined the SSPR team. The people who work here are some of the most dedicated, hardworking, driven, kindest you'll ever meet. Great company culture - they understand that this is a stressful industry so they take steps to make sure that their employees are happy. Company lunches, snacks, and rewards and incentives... for doing your job well are some nice perks.

Cons

Very media relations-centric firm. If you came here looking to write news releases or press kits, better look to another firm because most of the writing you'll be doing at SSPR is pitch oriented. SSPR's persistent approach toward media relations is successful but it has definitely irritated some journalists. Also, you'll be working more than 40+ hours a week... be warned. But that's the nature of this industry.

Advice to Management

Intern salaries are a little low by industry standards Emphasize the importance of relationship-building with media relations, not just mass-emailing reporters

SSPR2014-11-07

"A lot to handle..."

Former Employee - Employee

I worked at SSPR full-time for more than a year

Pros

People were pleasant and friendly to work with. Good overall feel for those beginning in PR.

Cons

Promotions made not due to achievements but rather just due to shuffling of positions or firings. Lack of training in intern phase and beyond. Complete lack of strategy with campaigns and lack of knowledge of clients form upper management. Expected to answer emails the second received even after hours.

Advice to Management

More time off, training, and perks needed if you want to retain professionals.

SSPR2014-11-13

"Great opportunities!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SSPR full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work-life balance, lots of opportunities to work with different people, lots of room to grow, manage others, and learn the ins and outs of the industry. Very fast-paced environment where every day is different. Lots of opportunity to work directly with clients which is always cool! And you get to work directly with the CEO which is great because he's a very hands-on leader. Opportunities for travel as well (to... see clients). You get to work with all types of companies from startups to IPO and tell their story so if this sounds like a something you want to be a part of, definitely apply!

Cons

More time off for holidays would be nice :)

Advice to Management

Consider implementing yearly or biannual reviews of your employees to encourage growth and direction. Continue promoting teamwork and team collaboration; people love coming to a friendly environment where they feel like they are part of a team that wants to help/motivate one another so I would continue the track you're currently on.

SSPR2014-10-17
  7. "Quick Experience"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Northfield, IL

I have been working at SSPR full-time for less than a year

Pros

Starting off an SS|PR employees are immediately thrown into a plethora of different accounts, giving them the opportunity to gain experience at an exponential pace. Working one on one with a CEO who is hands on with all of his employees is very rewarding.

Cons

Being thrown into so many accounts can be very stressful as times.

Advice to Management

Monitor employee account balance, make sure to take advantage of employee skills.

SSPR2014-10-03
  8. "You'll Learn a Lot!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at SSPR full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are just starting out in public relations and want to learn the ropes, this is the place to be. The opportunity to work with a variety of clients and experience all aspects of running a PR campaign were invaluable as I moved forward in my career. Senior level management was very helpful and provided guidance. The staff was friendly and welcoming.

Cons

Like most agencies, SSPR is not a 9-5 job. Most of us worked more than 40 hours a week, but it didn't feel like work because I really enjoyed what I was doing and was learning so much. Salaries, when I worked there, weren't great, but I'm sure that has changed since then.

Advice to Management

When I was there, management was excellent and provided the training needed to succeed.

SSPR2014-08-10
  9. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Glenview, IL

I have been working at SSPR full-time for more than a year

Pros

I like SSPR because of the team system they have created. Many of my colleagues work with me almost similar like a buddy system to offer clients better service. I also like weekly brainstorming sessions we have to solve problems and come up with new ideas collectively.

Cons

I would personally like to visit clients and be at their events.

Advice to Management

Continue the team approach. Evaluate how the system is working every six months.

SSPR2014-08-02

"Email Spamming"

I worked at SSPR

Pros

Paid Internship..Minimum wage but it's something

Cons

not much training CEO likes to micromanage everything

SSPR2014-07-29