SSPR "sspr" Reviews | Glassdoor

SSPR Reviews

Updated Nov 8, 2018

3.4
SSPR CEO 	Heather Kelly (no image)
Heather Kelly

"Great place to learn important skills"

I worked at SSPR part-time for more than a year

Pros

I'm going out of my way to write this review because I've been working at a full time job and have a good baseline to compare experiences... I am realizing now just how invaluable the skills I learned at SS|PR have been for me. SS|PR is a company where I felt valued out of the gate, my opinions and ideas were heard and I was granted autonomy which made me work harder. SSPR was hands down the most fair/just working... environment I have ever been in. Highly recommend!

Cons

Some pressure to perform, pretty standard stuff. Some employees not my cup of tea.

Advice to Management

You're a special firm with the right people on the jobs. Thanks for an experience that I know now is RARE to find. Keep up the awesome work and continue to treat your employees with the respect you did while I was there, and its all up from there!

SSPR2016-03-25

"Growing pains, but in the right direction"

Senior Account Executive

I worked at SSPR

Pros

SSPR empowers employees from day one. From intern to senior account management, everyone has an opportunity to prove their abilities. You pave your own way and can choose your future within the agency. Perks are similar to tech industry - free lunches, summer hours, etc.

Cons

Lack of leadership, mostly as a result of remote workforce. HQ is in Chicago, but most of the talent is elsewhere. Unifying the company has been a challenge, but is trending upward. Communication and feedback can be challenging to obtain from management. Teams work with extremely limited bandwidth. Clients are often signed under unrealistic pretenses. Pay does not reflect work executed.

Advice to Management

Unify the business development and client relations teams. Focus on retaining talent and accounts vs. growth. Cut out anyone who isn't pulling his or her weight. Reward teams that deliver and recognize those that aren't. Built teams in areas with strongest leaders/talent.

SSPR2015-10-14

"A wonderful place to start your career"

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive

I have been working at SSPR full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've interned at a few PR firms but nothing compares to the hands-on training I got from the moment I joined the SSPR team. The people who work here are some of the most dedicated, hardworking, driven, kindest you'll ever meet. Great company culture - they understand that this is a stressful industry so they take steps to make sure that their employees are happy. Company lunches, snacks, and rewards and incentives... for doing your job well are some nice perks.

Cons

Very media relations-centric firm. If you came here looking to write news releases or press kits, better look to another firm because most of the writing you'll be doing at SSPR is pitch oriented. SSPR's persistent approach toward media relations is successful but it has definitely irritated some journalists. Also, you'll be working more than 40+ hours a week... be warned. But that's the nature of this industry.

Advice to Management

Intern salaries are a little low by industry standards Emphasize the importance of relationship-building with media relations, not just mass-emailing reporters

SSPR2014-11-07
  4. "You'll Learn a Lot!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at SSPR full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are just starting out in public relations and want to learn the ropes, this is the place to be. The opportunity to work with a variety of clients and experience all aspects of running a PR campaign were invaluable as I moved forward in my career. Senior level management was very helpful and provided guidance. The staff was friendly and welcoming.

Cons

Like most agencies, SSPR is not a 9-5 job. Most of us worked more than 40 hours a week, but it didn't feel like work because I really enjoyed what I was doing and was learning so much. Salaries, when I worked there, weren't great, but I'm sure that has changed since then.

Advice to Management

When I was there, management was excellent and provided the training needed to succeed.

SSPR2014-08-10
  5. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Glenview, IL

I have been working at SSPR full-time for more than a year

Pros

I like SSPR because of the team system they have created. Many of my colleagues work with me almost similar like a buddy system to offer clients better service. I also like weekly brainstorming sessions we have to solve problems and come up with new ideas collectively.

Cons

I would personally like to visit clients and be at their events.

Advice to Management

Continue the team approach. Evaluate how the system is working every six months.

SSPR2014-08-02

"Account Executive"

I worked at SSPR

Pros

I found my experience at SSPR to be quite fun due to the following reasons: - flexible work hours - employees are encourage to collaborate, move about the office and inspire creativity - fully stocked kitchen with yummy and healthy snacks - lots of happy hours, company bought lunches, events and perks - colorful and clean office space - paid for parking

Cons

With the good, comes the bad: - strictly results based [ no leads = no more need for you] - limited training opportunities/help given to newbies - over promise clients on deliverables to encourage motivation - stressful environment, management has little to no regard for workload - let 2 interns go, each after their 60 day reviews and claimed they "weren't producing" and were not where management expected them... to be, despite no training - cliques galore = feels like high school - badmouth clients as soon as conference call was complete = calling certain member of client teams "so dumb" - extreme cursing - president is extremely removed from client accounts yet was main contact

Advice to Management

Give everyone equal opportunities to shine. Reward your employees with praise rather than perks. Provide extensive training to interns even after their 60 day reviews. Don't over promise clients more than you and your team can deliver. Encourage motivation through training/hard work - not a contest.

SSPR2014-06-17
  7. "Unlimited growth potential via hard work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at SSPR full-time

Pros

Flexible work environment, leadership encourages personal growth and development. You are able to work your way into promotions and raises due to hard work, not based on tenure.

Cons

Can be stressful, but think that is more of the nature of PR than working at SSPR.

Advice to Management

Take what works and replicate across offices.

SSPR2014-05-22
  8. "Great place to grow, thrive and promote within"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at SSPR full-time for more than a year

Pros

SSPR is great agency to not only get your feet wet but grow professionally. From my experience, upper management invests a lot in their internship training while still avoiding the micro-managing you may expect elsewhere. The company is great for those who look to be promoted from within, are results oriented and competitive. The team atmosphere is positive and SSPR allows you to flourish both individually and in a... team environment. The sky is definitely the limit.

Cons

Typical to the PR industry, you need to have thick skin and a sense of humor to survive sometimes harsh criticism from reporters. You also need to be prepared to find a work-life balance and understand that there are some nights you need to put a clients' needs first.

Advice to Management

Would love to see more in-person interaction with remote teams and a more competitive 401K matching system.

SSPR2014-02-05
  9. "Fast-paced, Hands-on Opportunity for Experience & Growth"

Current Employee -

I have been working at SSPR full-time

Pros

The company is always looking for ways to grow, improve and are open to hearing new, out of the box ideas, even from the most junior employees. They value their employees and are willing to invest in their growth through additional classes and experiences that are offered early on and throughout. The teams have opportunities to bond through extracurricular activities such as volunteering, happy hours, office yoga,... meditations, crafts, friendly competitions, holiday parties, staff lunches and more. Having a bonded staff can make for a great team (knowing each others strengths and weaknesses will make the teams stronger and more successful). I have been with SSPR for 2.5 years and have seen immense growth in myself. The vast amount of knowledge and skills I have learned in client communication, writing, management, documentation, organization and many other areas is not comparable to any other company I have worked for previously. There is still a ton of room for growth and moving up. I'm excited for what's to come.

Cons

It would be beneficial for the agency as a whole to look at strengths and weaknesses coming from each office. The strengths should be passed around - team members from different offices should travel around for visits to train each other. Weaknesses must be recognized and addressed. Job descriptions/duties need to be clearly defined for the whole company.

Advice to Management

Once a year the whole company should hold a conference - discuss successes, failures, give certain employees recognition/awards and offer workshops, brainstorming sessions. All of the different offices are separate but still work together in may ways and it's important for the company as a whole to be on the same page.

SSPR2014-02-04
  10. "Great experience for motivated, driven people"

Current Employee -

I have been working at SSPR full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

SSPR is upwardly mobile and a great place for motivated people to make your career path what you want it to be—truly a place where the sky is the limit. Senior management also strongly encourages personal development both on and off the job through training programs and outside classes. We have a chance to participate in the success of the company and are encouraged to share ideas, feedback on an on-going basis—a... great opportunity to be part of something bigger.

Cons

The company needs to continue to improve how the distant offices work together. It’s definitely getting better, but in my opinion, would help improve overall employee relations if we could work more as a whole unit. I think there also needs to be better definition of what individual job roles are and exact goals we need to meet to be considered “successful”.

Advice to Management

Continue to build bridges between the individual teams. We work better when we all work together and understand what exactly is expected of us. And thank you for the opportunity to grow, personally and professionally. It's a great environment for motivated, enterpreneurial spirited people like me.

SSPR2014-02-01