SSPR "sspr" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

SSPR Reviews

Updated Nov 8, 2018

3.4
SSPR CEO 	Heather Kelly (no image)
Heather Kelly
  1. "A Dynamic Company That Fosters Employee Engagement and Growth"

I have been working at SSPR full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

SSPR is committed to training and employee development through a range of formal and informal training/mentoring programs. This commitment to training leads to engaged and motivated employees excited to take the next step in their career. As a merit based agency, there are vast opportunities for employee advancement. The management team is dedicated and inspirational to the rest of the team.

Cons

As is typical in the PR industry, there are some work-life-balance challenges. However, SSPR works hard to ensure their employees are happy and find balance.

Advice to Management

SSPR's management team has made a commitment to training which sets the company apart from competitors and creates a motivated workforce. I encourage management to continue to make training a priority and continue to be an incredible example to the rest of the staff in regards to client relationships, media successes and management style.

SSPR2014-01-28

"Truly the worst experience of my career"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at SSPR full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is honestly difficult to pinpoint a single positive thing about working for this company. If I could give it zero stars, I would.

Cons

1) Horrible management. The management at this company should be a case study of *exactly* how not to manage employees. The CEO supervised every single employee at the company and micromanaged every task. I wholeheartedly agree with the reviewer who said that if you don't play by his irrational rules around micromanagement, you're treated terribly. I have never been treated with such disrespect. The environment... within the company was very gossipy, and pay raises seemed to be handed out based on how well you endeared yourself to the upper management. (And working hard, unfortunately, does not do much to endear you to them.) 2) Client management. Clients are cycled in and out at an incredibly frequent pace. During my tenure there, the CEO promised clients stellar results from the outset. Inevitably, within six months, the client realized those results weren't going to happen and withdrew their business. I believe the only reason this agency is still solvent is because they lure in so many new clients at a time and then live off of the retainer for a while before the clients realize how poorly the company is run and move on to a real PR agency. 3) Unless you are a complete newbie to PR, there really are no opportunities to learn. Life at SSPR is primarily spent spam-emailing reporters about products that have no chance of making it into the news. 4) Unethical behavior. I don't use the word "unethical" lightly, but the way clients and employees were treated made me feel extremely uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

Please treat your employees with respect, and please go about your business in a more ethical way.

SSPR2013-12-11
  3. "Pro-active PR firm"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at SSPR full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You are able to get your feet wet from the ground up. There is a great ability to learn at SSPR--especially if you are willing.

Cons

The company could offer better benefits to workers and salary could be more competitive in comparison to industry norms.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing forward.

SSPR2012-10-26