STA Travel Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
John Constable

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fun work environment - it's very laid back and comfortable for employees and customers (in 21 reviews)

• Good training, leadership, products and customers and fam trips (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay doesn't make up for the perks (in 12 reviews)

• Your career has a limited shelf life if you have ambitions to earn more money and have a better work life balance (in 6 reviews)

1. "Senior Travel Advisor"

Former Employee - Senior Travel Advisor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Travel Advisor in Seattle, WA

I worked at STA Travel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great travel benefits and health benefits

Cons

Not much room for growth besides manager

"CAll Center"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at STA Travel (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people! Fun Culture. Enjoyable work

Cons

Didn't really have any issues with it.

Advice to Management

Super great team; keep up the great recruitment

3. "Change is good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at STA Travel (More than a year)

Pros

New leadership helped to bring the company into the current times

Cons

A lot of things are dictated from London HQ

4. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ

Pros

I had a wonderful time at STA. The people and the environment are great!
    The energy in the office is perfect, and everyone is interesting and well traveled.

Cons

The pay is not as good as the environment. If they would increase the pay, it would have been a perfect place to work.

"STA Manchester"

Former Employee - Central Fulfillment Administrator in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Central Fulfillment Administrator in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at STA Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy-going team/management. Get to wear whatever you like. Can manage your own time (as long as you get stuff done, you can take a break whenever you like).

Cons

Occasionally have to work on one of the weekend days, which can make it a little bit difficult to plan ahead.

6. "Very focused and target driven company"

Current Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)

I have been working at STA Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have to enjoy chasing targets.

Cons

Targets to hit bonus. But that is the norm in sales Very easy company to talk to all levels of people even at the top.
    Tend to listen and have good rationales

Advice to Management

Always communicate and give notice when changing anything. Be consistent and always stick to core values.

7. "Opportunity and freedom"

I have been working at STA Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

An incredible brand to be a part of - focused and moving forward, really pushing things to keep current and competitive in a really tough market. A lot of love of the company from customers and past travellers and working with inspirational travel as a "product" is wonderful. Great young people working throughout the business and if you want to go far, you can, and in a global environment.

Cons

Working in a tough market - travel in retail and online - means things move FAST, you need to be willing to roll up your sleeves and get things done, and to think quickly and act faster. This pulls in a type of person but doesn't suit everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep people in the loop, communication of change could be better and more thorough. People are smart and open and want to know the why in the larger business decisions.

"Start The Adventure in travel"

I have been working at STA Travel full-time

Pros

I love working for STA as I feel my work is valued and I am not just a number; it is really refreshing that SLT know who you are and when they visit my store they also know my Travel Experts.
    Within the short time of being employed (1 year 9 months) I have been rewarded for my hard work with an amazing FAM trip to Zimbabwe and also the proud winner of Global Store Manager 2015!
    I am always looking to develop my skills further and I have been able to do this with some great training programmes which include SM1,2,3 and RockSTA Academy.
    I have always had an ultimate goal that by the age of 30 I want to be a Regional Sales Manager, this has been listened to and I am currently on RSM Development and I know that there are lots of opportunities for me in STA Travel.

Cons

Due to my high performance last year and increasing the store budget by £100k I received some great bonuses, I also took the store from a small to medium store. However, I was brought in on the medium store salary for my experience and due to there only being 3 salary bands I will not get a salary increase unless I move to a large store. I will find this year difficult with pay as I won't earn as higher commission levels due to increase of budget and do not want to move store. So for having an extremely successful year one year can almost damage you the next year with your years take home.

9. "Travel Expert"

Current Employee - Travel Expert in Auckland (New Zealand)
    Current Employee - Travel Expert in Auckland (New Zealand)

I have been working at STA Travel (More than a year)

Pros

I have been at STA for just over 2 years and so far I have had the time off my life! I do believe in work hard, play hard and I think that is something that I love about STA. The company culture and the people is what keeps me loving this job. There is always room to grow and progress your career in a fun , forever changing environment.

I love the fact that you can set your goals and see them being reached, this wouldn't be possible without the support that comes a lot from the senior leadership team and also other TE's surrounding you on a daily basis!

There are always perks to any job, but going diving in the Yasawa Islands of the coast of Fiji is pretty unbeatable! I have also been lucky enough to go on Contiki's Rock Around The World and to the Big Bash in March this year, also pretty chuffed to walk away with most Improved TE!
    With this job the more you put in, the more you get out of it! It's pretty awesome!

Cons

With the fast paced nature of this job role and constant up date of new product, EG: airfare specials and land specials it can sometimes not all be passed down to T.E level as quickly and as often as possible. I think It would be useful for some BSM's to go through product training as and when they are released and then passed on to the team. I think this would help make the team feel more 'together' rather than so individual in store.

With any job it can be stressful, I think it is all about how you turn the stress into something useful and try and grow on your weaker areas that you struggle with.

Advice to Management

I think it would be great to have the RSM or CM maybe once a quarter or so talking to TE's and asking what they are happy/not so happy with in there job and if it's bad coming up with a positive solution to solve it. Hearing a TE's opinion on a situation could be a great way of improving some things as we are customer facing, selling the product daily!

10. "Why STA Travel is the BEST company to work for"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Brisbane (Australia)
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Brisbane (Australia)

I have been working at STA Travel (More than 5 years)

Pros

Its fun, exciting, diverse & has great core values which every employee lives and breaths.

Cons

Its hard work but so rewarding at the same time and because everyone is passionate about travel you get excited working at STA,

Advice to Management

The best company for progression, fun atmosphere and with a huge passion for travel.