STAR Education Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Fun part time work"

Former Employee - After School Teacher in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - After School Teacher in Culver City, CA

I worked at STAR Education part-time (More than a year)

Pros

High pay
    Fun work with children
    Friendly co-workers and management

Cons

Can only work at certain times (i.e. after school) - but that's what the business is, so this can hardly be held against them

2. "teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at STAR Education part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good experience with students and helps for upcoming teacher

Cons

wages are low for "permanent "position ..kind of wierd

Advice to Management

Needs to increase wages for Permanent Employees

3. "After school instructor"

Current Employee - After School Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - After School Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at STAR Education part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team to work with. Great support from the company!

Cons

Traveling to different school sites and the traffic!

"Ups and Downs"

Current Employee - Administrator in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Administrator in Culver City, CA

I have been working at STAR Education full-time

Pros

The organization has a generally positive attitude and great employees. As a children's educational company the organization truly puts family first and provides great flexibility in work schedule for family engagements, continued education, etc. And with such diversity through its enrichment programs there's an opportunity to meet people from all sorts of different backgrounds which provides a unique and fun working environment. It operates on a pretty casual basis in terms of attire; nothing too tight or too loose; closed-toed shoes; and a company t-shirt whenever at site. Compensation is low, but benefits are okay. Benefits available include medical, dental, vision, supplementary insurances, and a 401k (the company does not match contributions).

Cons

This organization has undergone rapid growth and therefore has some managers that are not necessarily the most suited for leadership positions. They are all qualified at what they do but are not always the best at leading a team and setting goals for team members. Upper managers also often misdiagnose problems placing blame on incorrect departments resulting in delays to solutions. Compensation is low, but benefits are okay. Administrators on average will likely be making 25% less than at a comparable position here in Los Angeles.

Advice to Management

Management needs to recognize the strong talent that is present. It should foster and incentivize exceptional talent. Many great employees pass through the organization, but are not retained because management does not provide the growth opportunity those individuals need.

"Enrichment Teacher ("NOVA")"

Former Employee - After School Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - After School Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at STAR Education part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-After school enrichment classes: teach a topic you're passionate and knowledgable about.
    -Afternoon hours allow for other jobs/commitments in the morning or evening.
    -For the most part, my department head was very helpful if something went wrong with my equipment or I needed help teaching a class.
    -Staff at STAR are enthusiastic about kids and education. They love their jobs.
    -A lot of kids are smart and genuinely passionate, and they're a lot of fun to teach (and they teach you just as much, if not more)!

Cons

-Sometimes computers would malfunction and I would need to troubleshoot technical difficulties on the spot, coming up with creative activities if class didn't go as planned.
    -Lots of driving around LA to different schools (as a NOVA teacher, I'd teach a different school each day of the week, some close to home, some across the county).
    -Maintenance/prep take a little time in the morning, so it can be more time than just the couple hours of class (depending on your department, what things you're working with, etc.)
    -Some kids can be a pain.

Advice to Management

Regular (weekly?) check-ins with teachers just to make sure everything's going smoothly.

"Programs Flow From The Top Down"

Current Employee - Full-Time Supervisor Level in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Full-Time Supervisor Level in Culver City, CA

I have been working at STAR Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Individual programs can be strong until tampered with by upper management.
    The heart of some of the employees.

Cons

The major issues are with the power-chain of the organization. There is no structure in place for employees to develop the necessary skills to advance within the organization. As stated before, the meetings are pointless and usually turn into conversations that are of little importance to anyone. The high turnover and regular lawsuits resulting from payroll and HR disputes lead to a disruptive work environment with little to no professionalism. The program has SO much potential, but any organization is only as strong as its Board and Executive Director. Unfortunately, the Executive Director, although well meaning, is incapable of managing the program and is further hindered by her two children who are unqualified to contribute in any meaningful way. The Board, which is hand picked and there for appearance only, is inept and does not actually accomplish anything of meaning. This is an organization that is responsible for thousands of children, yet cannot manage itself in any way except through intimidation and capricious financial and employment decisions. The CFO needs to be actually trained in finance, the CEO needs to have a background in Leadership and Executive Development, and the individual department heads should all have significant experience in education and curriculum development. As a non-profit, how is there no development department???!!!??? The Board needs to make the difficult decision to replace the Executive Director and create a new organizational structure that can turn this organization into something great. Is it even legal to have employees walk so far to work? Shouldn't we have parking for a job we have to do on-site for most of the day?

Advice to Management

Have the hard conversation about the direction of the company and let the employees know what the plan for succession is. That way, if it is accurate that the daughter of the current director is taking over, employees can make the responsible decision to leave now. In the interim, a solid development department with qualified personnel should be put in place. The CFO should retire and a new, external group should come in to actually effectively manage the resources that the company has.

"Wanted to give it more STARs but couldn't"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The kids are great, and its a really rewarding job. The program itself is awesome and the kids all enjoy it. Most of the employees are all very nice and cool.

Cons

Extremely disorganized. Will make you teach classes you know nothing about, give zero direction and zero resources. I started as a sub (mistake) which meant I would get calls literally an hour before a school needed me, for subjects I was by no means qualified to teach. Certain people in STAR HQ building are extremely, extremely rude. I now understand why the turnover rate is so high.

Advice to Management

Don't get mad if somebody wants more hours, be kind to your employees, pay more and get organized.

8. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Teacher in Lincoln, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Lincoln, CA

I have been working at STAR Education full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team is friendly and does a good job
    Very organized schedule for activities
    I have a blast every day

Cons

Directors seem overworked and often very busy
    Very understaffed until recently

Advice to Management

I think you hire great people. I would have the upper management work on being more organized.

"Overwork, Underpay"

Former Employee - Gifted and Talented Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Gifted and Talented Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at STAR Education part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great kids, a lot of who, really need the programs
    Good teaching experience w/o certificate
    Room for growth even if you start as an after-school sub

Cons

They'll pay you as little as possible
    They have strange policies about sitting while working with kids in the after-school segment
    Each school is only as good as its director
    They try and work you as much as possible (eg 30 hours for no benefits) without pay
    The best people love their jobs then move on

Advice to Management

Value your people by paying them more and giving them benefits

"Site Director."

Current Employee - School Site Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - School Site Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at STAR Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love working with my fellow directors. Love what the organization stands for, the work we do, our passion, the kids & our mission.

Cons

Not enough support. All about upper Admin Politics. I have too much to say on this....

Advice to Management

Please Listen to your Directors.