STAR Education Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Katya Bozzi

1. "After school instructor"

Current Employee - After School Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - After School Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at STAR Education part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team to work with. Great support from the company!

Cons

Traveling to different school sites and the traffic!

2. "After school teacher review"

I worked at STAR Education part-time

Pros

It's nice because you get to design your own classes. It's a good experience to have under your belt if you want to get into education.

Cons

Negative atmosphere. Not compensated well. Borders on creepy and cult-like. They have required "volunteer" hours that you need to do, so that's interesting. They don't respect your time. This is especially bad for part-time employee who have other commitments.

3. "part-time job"

I worked at STAR Education part-time

Pros

They are flexible with your schedule

Cons

Unnecessary mandatory emails and limited organization

"Work on Site, stay away from Office"

I have been working at STAR Education full-time

Pros

-the rewarding nature of working with children
    -work in subject matter that interests you, many options

Cons

-CEO is mad with power
    -Upper mgmt makes mal-informed decisions
    -threatening office politics evironment

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who actually teach every day and improve program quality that way.

"Family of Incompetence"

I worked at STAR Education full-time

Pros

Working with kids. I've been a teacher for many years, and the students that are part of the program are great. Wonderful students.

Cons

CEO is crazy and terrible at her job, she will fire anyone for any reason. You are completely expendable here - they don't care about keeping the employees happy. They will give you cake instead of a raise.

Advice to Management

Change the CEO. This company will continue to be under-performing as long as there is an incompetent CEO. This family may not be any good at running a business.

7. "star education"

Pros

easy to work with, can be fun if you make it fun, good pay to survive while in school

Cons

no cons as of this time

8. "Good job if you don't mind driving."

Pros

-Pays well for minimum hours.
    -They supply all the equipment.
    -Always pay for your time ( unless its a *volunteer event or driving.)
    -Minimizes interaction between you and the parents as much as possible.
    -Always willing to work around your schedule.

Cons

-Lots of driving you don't get paid for ( unless you leave from the office, but that's out of the way for most events.)
    -*Mandatory volunteer time because its a non-profit.
    -Pay Day schedule

Advice to Management

Animals at Eco-Station need more room.
    Drive compensation exceptions should be made for long distance events.

"Ups and Downs"

Current Employee - Administrator in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Administrator in Culver City, CA

I have been working at STAR Education full-time

Pros

The organization has a generally positive attitude and great employees. As a children's educational company the organization truly puts family first and provides great flexibility in work schedule for family engagements, continued education, etc. And with such diversity through its enrichment programs there's an opportunity to meet people from all sorts of different backgrounds which provides a unique and fun working environment. It operates on a pretty casual basis in terms of attire; nothing too tight or too loose; closed-toed shoes; and a company t-shirt whenever at site. Compensation is low, but benefits are okay. Benefits available include medical, dental, vision, supplementary insurances, and a 401k (the company does not match contributions).

Cons

This organization has undergone rapid growth and therefore has some managers that are not necessarily the most suited for leadership positions. They are all qualified at what they do but are not always the best at leading a team and setting goals for team members. Upper managers also often misdiagnose problems placing blame on incorrect departments resulting in delays to solutions. Compensation is low, but benefits are okay. Administrators on average will likely be making 25% less than at a comparable position here in Los Angeles.

Advice to Management

Management needs to recognize the strong talent that is present. It should foster and incentivize exceptional talent. Many great employees pass through the organization, but are not retained because management does not provide the growth opportunity those individuals need.

"Leadership"

Current Employee - After School Teacher
    Current Employee - After School Teacher

I have been working at STAR Education part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I happened to get an excellent supervisor. I've received 3 raises in 4 years. I basically work by myself.

Cons

I was never trained, I was thrown into a school. Unless you become a director or lead teacher there aren't really any promotions or a chance at more hours.

Advice to Management

Train every staff member before placing them @ a school. Within my 4 years I haven't come across one employee that's been trained. I have common sense and great leadership skills, but unfortunately everyone that gets hired doesn't. That's why so many people quit.

"Enrichment Teacher ("NOVA")"

Former Employee - After School Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - After School Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at STAR Education part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-After school enrichment classes: teach a topic you're passionate and knowledgable about.
    -Afternoon hours allow for other jobs/commitments in the morning or evening.
    -For the most part, my department head was very helpful if something went wrong with my equipment or I needed help teaching a class.
    -Staff at STAR are enthusiastic about kids and education. They love their jobs.
    -A lot of kids are smart and genuinely passionate, and they're a lot of fun to teach (and they teach you just as much, if not more)!

Cons

-Sometimes computers would malfunction and I would need to troubleshoot technical difficulties on the spot, coming up with creative activities if class didn't go as planned.
    -Lots of driving around LA to different schools (as a NOVA teacher, I'd teach a different school each day of the week, some close to home, some across the county).
    -Maintenance/prep take a little time in the morning, so it can be more time than just the couple hours of class (depending on your department, what things you're working with, etc.)
    -Some kids can be a pain.

Advice to Management

Regular (weekly?) check-ins with teachers just to make sure everything's going smoothly.