STAR Education Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Katya Bozzi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great if your looking for part-time work (in 4 reviews)

• brings good experience working with children (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • As a substitute, you have little to no status so you're fighting against the class that's trying to take advantage of you every minute (in 3 reviews)

• Lots of driving you don't get paid for ( unless you leave from the office, but that's out of the way for most events (in 3 reviews)

1. "Enrichment Teacher"

I worked at STAR Education part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule. If you are college student this is great for you to be in school and work.

Cons

No room for growth. Not alot of support for employees.

"Ok for part time teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Roseville, CA

I have been working at STAR Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Students, families, schools, and teachers. The best part is definitely the kids and co-teachers (as long as you work with helpful co-teachers and they don’t quit because that happens a lot) The families are great too.

Cons

Administration is a disaster. Everyone at the office seems miserable and makes you feel uncomfortable. Don’t bother speaking to a higher up about any concerns either. The higher up you go the more heartless they seem to be.

3. "It was okay at times."

Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at STAR Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible.
    Good co workers.
    The kids were nice to work with.

Cons

They won't give you a raise.
    The head clusters can't leave their egos.
    The boss is nice and caring but she is too nice sometimes.
    To be honest nothing is organized.
    I saw kids playing in the hall.
    Leaders would call you out with your mistakes but will ignore the hard work.

Advice to Management

Listen to all the bad reviews and fix the problems. It is a matter of time that this company will go down the drain.

4. "Horrific experience, terrible environment."

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at STAR Education part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The hours are good for people who are not early risers or who have a second job. The Eco Hub is very cool with the reptiles and birds on display. I felt supported by my immediate supervisor. They do pay you on time.

Cons

What an awful experience. The afterschool sites I worked at appeared to have little structure or disciplinary standards in place to control the children.

The program's motto is "Where learning is fun!" But anyone who has worked with children in an academic setting knows that you must maintain a structured environment with children or risk losing control. I don't mean heavy-handed corporal punishment. But STAR appears to believe that children cannot be disciplined; they are allowed to run free and explore their whims without any structure. It was madness at the sites I worked at, all across LA county.

Every site director is different so every day presents a new set of challenges to wade through. Each day I worked, I felt a tangible sense of depression and weariness from the site staffs, which in turn depressed me. As a substitute, you have little to no status so you're fighting against the class that's trying to take advantage of you every minute. I saw little to no actual "teaching" going on. Most of the teachers I saw were young with little to no real-world teaching experience. I never got the point of the program; it just seemed like one big afterschool daycare center.

I experienced a work-related issue and received zero support from management in resolving the conflict, which led to my leaving. I discovered afterwards how many other people had negative experiences with STAR. Wish I'd known before applying; will never return.

Advice to Management

Support your teachers and instill disciplinary guidelines at sites so children understand that being a STAR pupil is a privilege that can be taken away.

Stop playing favorites with certain teachers and staff...especially in HR matters.

The pay rate is not enough for what you put teachers through nor for the extensive interviewing process.

Substitute teachers should be called rotating teachers...travelers...anything but "substitutes." Children should not be allowed to disrespect or take advantage of them.

Stop lying to prospective teachers when asked about disciplinary issues at sites. I broke up fights, heard children curse out teachers & adults and witnessed inappropriate behavior by both children AND teachers. It's a terrible work environment and needs some major restructuring. And as the saying goes, the fish rots from the head down.

5. "After School Teacher"

Former Employee - After School Teacher in Rocklin, CA
    Former Employee - After School Teacher in Rocklin, CA

I worked at STAR Education part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are going into a career teaching children it is great experience. Good for a part time job while you are going to school.

Cons

The higher ups really don't care about the part time staff which makes up most of the teachers. They expect you to treat STAR like it is a full time job and get upset when you have other commitments, but they will not compensate you or give you any benefits of a full time job.
    They only promote to full time jobs based on how long you have been there so there is little room for growth, unless you want to stay for years. Because of this, most of the directors are people who started at STAR as their first jobs, stayed there for years, and moved up to director. Just because someone is good with kids does not mean they are good at managing adults so most of the directors have no idea how to manage their jobs.
    Extremely high turnover with little to no training so the new people have no idea what's going on. They always need people so they will hire pretty much anyone.

Advice to Management

Instead of having all part time staff who are not very good, invest in making the good teachers full time staff. There will be far less turnover, the programs will be better overall, and the kids won't have to get used to a new teacher every few weeks.
    Think about hiring outside people for director positions, or vet the people you are going to promote better.

6. "Fun part time work"

Former Employee - After School Teacher in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - After School Teacher in Culver City, CA

I worked at STAR Education part-time (More than a year)

Pros

High pay
    Fun work with children
    Friendly co-workers and management

Cons

Can only work at certain times (i.e. after school) - but that's what the business is, so this can hardly be held against them

7. "Company with a great mission, but needs a little cleaning in the office"

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at STAR Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get the chance to really help kids learn new things, decent hours, pretty flexible, good for students

Cons

Office not well organized, very last minute

Advice to Management

There needs to be more communication between the sites and the office and better organization for camps and supplies.

8. "After School Teacher"

I worked at STAR Education part-time

Pros

Co-workers great. Titles/relationships built on trust.

Cons

Can be tiring. Very demanding for meager pay.

Advice to Management

Very good for college students and recent college grads.

9. "teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at STAR Education part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good experience with students and helps for upcoming teacher

Cons

wages are low for "permanent "position ..kind of wierd

Advice to Management

Needs to increase wages for Permanent Employees

10. "Happy place and good environment"

Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at STAR Education (Less than a year)

Pros

The kids are always cheering up your day. Flexibility. Good and positive environment. Good words. Part time : good for students

Cons

Since it's part time it's not really good in benefits. We have none. Even thou it would be good to have health plan at least.