STATS Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Carl Mergele

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Interesting work with flexible hours (in 8 reviews)

• Have a great office space and great people who love sport (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management at the EVP level and above is misguided and dysfunctional (in 5 reviews)

• Days go by very quickly and there are a lot of changes that are happening/need to happen (in 3 reviews)

1. "Challenging & Meaningful Work"

Current Employee - Training Lead in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Training Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at STATS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

While it helps to have a passion for sports (working for a sports data/tech company), it isn't something that was required for my role. I have to admit though, I'm learning SO much about the sports world!
    The environment is casual and collaborative. The unit that I work in has a very 'one STATS' mentality, meaning that we take global ownership of the work that we do - even if it's not 'technically' in our job description.
    This is a pretty exciting time for people who like to have some hand in creating their role and responsibilities - recent evolution (and a CEO change) have led to a companywide examination of what we do and how we do it. Don't like something? Find a new solution. Chances are you'll be helping create a new path.

Cons

Following the CEO change, there is a need to specifically define the different roles and functions. If you are someone who needs consistency, predictability and well-defined direction then this probably isn't the right time to join. It's cliché to say that the only thing constant is change, but in this case it very much applies.
    While the company currently has a very 'start up' feel to it, I can already see the changes that are adding more structure (and therefore more accountability) to the work. Again, these are big changes that some might find scary.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent - Carl's (CEO) weekly updates are a good start. As roles and job functions change, take into account the expertise of those who have been in the trenches. Finally, don't be like all those other companies that promise to invest in technology but don't ever get around to doing so. Taking some time now to really think through efficiencies can save a lot of time, money, turnover and turmoil later.

Mar 29, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

We greatly appreciate your review and feedback. While we’re in the sports industry, our focus, as a company, is to hire problem solvers. We’re thrilled that you’ve so quickly found your stride and... More

"Could be so good but......."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at STATS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic colleagues, talented individuals, hard working and passionate

Cons

Constant change, senior management not engaged in the day to day business, US business detached from regional reality, inability to deliver products that will make a difference in the market

Advice to Management

Listen

Apr 18, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your review and feedback. Our employees are the foundation of our company, so it’s great to hear you believe in the talented, hardworking and passionate individuals who work here... More

3. "I look forward to coming to work every day!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at STATS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked at a couple different tech companies now, and STATS, by far, has been the most willing to make the tough choices for the best company growth. I've worked with some of the sharpest people in data, AI, development, and design in the year that I've been here at the Chicago HQ, and my managers have gone above and beyond to help me further my career in a way that isn't through the standard managerial path.

The benefits are wonderful, with reasonable health, vision, and dental insurance, a convenient location to most CTA lines, Union Station, and Ogilvie Transportation Center, great lunch spots, and no shortage of snacks, happy hours, and company events, where I've gotten to know many of my wonderful coworkers, and now friends.

Most teams get to choose their own schedule to fit potentially long or difficult commutes, and managers are wonderful about maintaining a good work-life balance for their teams.

Cons

It tends to take a while for information to trickle down from the C-level to developers, so sometime's there's some downtime or confusion that could be cleared up with more transparency.

Advice to Management

We're already pretty good with this, but keep pushing 1-on-1 meetings between managers and team members to keep everyone on the same page and allow team members to have a chance to discuss their career growth.

Mar 29, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

First and foremost, we’re thrilled that you enjoy coming into work every day – we think STATS is a special place to work, but we appreciate your feedback and validation! We’re excited about our... More

4. "Innovative and Forward Thinking Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at STATS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Have an amazing amount of data and work across most sports
    * Have a great office space and great people who love sport
    * Invested an enormous amount in artificial intelligence
    * Ambitious company at the cutting edge of technology

Cons

* Changing from a data collection company to a tech company always takes time and there has been the necessary changes to make this occur.

Mar 27, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for writing this review and for your feedback. We’re always happy to hear that our employees think highly of our people, our offices and what we do. As data, Artificial Intelligence and... More

5. "STATS is headed higher than ever before"

I have been working at STATS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

STATS combines a go-getter attitude with precision and professionalism all at the same time. It's impossible to ignore the engagement and captivation that the employees have for the work that they do. Dedication to sports and analytics is at the forefront. Countless people all over the world love sports and discuss them regularly with friends, family and coworkers. At STATS, people love sports and discussing them, and they have the in-depth knowledge of the statistics and analytics to go with it. The use of data and analytics becomes more and more substantial every single day in sports coverage and the media. STATS LLC is the leading source worldwide for this information, and it's something to be proud of as a member of the team.

Cons

STATS does have some trouble letting go of the weak employees who routinely don't perform adequately at their job. I have some trouble understanding why a few employees still have their job at STATS when they are constantly messing up and their managers are constantly irritated and having problems with their poor performance.

Advice to Management

Realize that the people you know are weak are making SO MANY other people's jobs that much more difficult.

Mar 23, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your feedback. We’re happy to hear that you enjoy working at STATS and that you see the same passion and energy from our employees... More

"Great People, Challenging Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at STATS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Positioned at the center of three exciting industries: Data, Technology and Sports.
    -Supported by a large PE firm so they can hire the best and brightest in the industry to lead the company.
    -Fast paced environment where projects, priorities and teams change often which gives you exposure to all parts of the business and the chance to work with a lot of bright individuals.
    -The people are exceptional! They're hardworking, dedicated and supportive. It's truly a pleasure to come work everyday and work alongside my colleagues.

Cons

-The environment requires a lot of flexibility and forces you out of your comfort zone. The company is not for those that want to do the same thing everyday for eight hours and then go home.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting the hard working individuals that make this company great!

"Challenging Environment - Great People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at STATS (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Culture, warm environment, challenging work with an interesting spin

Cons

Needs more structure around processes across company

8. "Great Environment, Up and Coming"

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at STATS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's a great environment here at STATS. People are easy to go to for help and are all working together for a common goal. For example, there's a trivia night once a month and happy hour every other Thursday. STATS runs the company like how a modern business should run.

Cons

The interview process was a bit frustrating because they kept pushing back my interview time. I felt like they were not treating me as someone who can make an impact at the company (but that changed when I started working). There's also a severe lack of communication across departments, but it appears to be getting better.

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"

Pros

Well, it's sports, I guess still, when you get right down to it.

Cons

Since STATS was purchased a few years ago, it's on its second CEO, CFO, CTO, head of marketing, their third head of product and so on. Anyone with any industry knowledge has left voluntarily or been laid off. They made it clear from the beginning they wanted to change to a product mindset (never mind that one largely existed...no one bothered to look). I guess they want to transition from a data company to a software company, but no one's sure how they're going to get there. Oh, and never mind that data is the hot industry in 2018.

Advice to Management

STATS was successful with positive growth partly because of their stability. I can't give you advice on controlling your own future because the executive turnover since the Vista acquisition speaks for itself, but maybe easing off on the semi-annual layoffs to stabilize the workforce would be a start.

Really, you've got to decide what kind of company you want to be...either understanding the roots that made you successful while exploring new avenues for the future, or focusing solely on becoming that software company you think you are. Right now, you're stuck in between, and that's the problem.

Apr 18, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. As you mentioned, we’re privileged to work in a really cool industry – sports. As data and analytics become more prevalent and... More

10. "revenue operations sales research"

Current Employee - Sales Research in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Research in Chicago, IL

I have been working at STATS part-time (More than a year)

Pros

environment is great, positive people, fun place to work

Cons

job can get boring and tedious