STEVE MCCURRY STUDIOS Reviews | Glassdoor

STEVE MCCURRY STUDIOS Reviews

Updated March 24, 2017

2.0
CEO

1. "It was an experience..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Island City, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Island City, NY

I worked at STEVE MCCURRY STUDIOS (Less than a year)

Pros

Notch on your belt and resume. Was introduced to the business of photographic journalism, archiving, there was an element of creative exposure, and co-workers were wonderful people.

Cons

Don't even know where to start- hostile work environment, vague directions, indecisiveness, a lot of condescension, which was known as an 'initiation' (and all came from the big boss himself).

Advice to Management

Sit with your new employees to communicate what you want/ expect from them. Encourage instead of condescend. Big boss needs to be clear and descriptive when talking with management before those assignments are delegated to employees.

2. "Unnecessary Hostility."

Former Intern - Intern in Long Island City, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in Long Island City, NY

I worked at STEVE MCCURRY STUDIOS as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

As one person rated this experience, it's just a "notch in your belt" and will look stellar on a resume.

Cons

I went into this experience expecting to pick up the dirty work: running errands, doing the tasks no one else had time for, being unpaid. I had no qualms with any of that. However, I went through 3 months of being spoken to in a manner that insulted my intelligence. I have no issue doing any job as long as I'm addressed with respect and positivity.

Advice to Management

Please work on the tone at which you address your employees. Being condescending will create a hostile work environment and it will become even harder to gain their respect and cooperation if you continue to treat every intern like a disobedient child. I understand that Steve has a tremendously busy schedule, but it would make a world of difference if he could sit down with each intern just once throughout their internship for a maximum of 15 min and give individual advice and tips on ways they could enhance their careers moving forward. The best kind of artist is the one that wants to see others develop their own passion and talents..not the kind that sends you to pick up his dry-cleaning.

3. "Unpaid Internship"

Current Intern - Intern in Exton, PA
    Current Intern - Intern in Exton, PA

I have been working at STEVE MCCURRY STUDIOS as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Only pro is the free lunch under $8.

Cons

Interns learn little to no new skills, boss often makes interns run personal errands. General uncomfortable and hostile work environment.

Advice to Management

Brush up on the US Department of Labor Laws regarding unpaid internships.

4. "Very Insightful"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at STEVE MCCURRY STUDIOS as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Got a real understand of how a photography studio should run, organize my images to create business and exposure, and client relations.

Cons

Because it is a 3 month internship, the ability to really get involved within a specific department of the business.