STG International Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michelle S. Lee

Pros
  • pretty good pay, good work team for evening shift, Public Health Staff supportive (in 2 reviews)

• I have been with STGi for over 6 years (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very unorganized with a high turnover rate (in 3 reviews)

• The schedule, the upper management, the pay, and the job (in 3 reviews)

"Opportunity, Challenge, Responsibility, and Accountability."

Current Employee - Supervisor in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at STG International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In spite of the size of STG International there continues to be an atmosphere of growth and opportunity. If you like rolling up your sleeves and getting the roots of things this is your place to work. The office environment is extremely professional and respectful. There is a friendly tone set by the President of the company.

Cons

If you don't like to work hard and be held accountable then stay away from STG. Management expects everyone to carry their weight and give 100%. If you want to spend you time taking breaks, visiting with your coworkers, or surfing the internet then look for another opportunity or better yet start your own company.

Advice to Management

Let you teammembers shine and hold us accountable for our roles and responsibilities. We are capable of doing so much more.

"Don't listen to angry former employees. STGi is a good place to be."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I worked at STG International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I recently left the company and stumbled across this site... I am really surprised to see some of the negative reviews! I worked with STGi in their HQ for a few years and I enjoyed the people I worked with, my time there, and had many opportunities. I received training and certification from STGi, and I was able to have part of my education paid for. Even though I left the company, I am happy with the opportunities I had at STGi. They make a point to include all levels of leadership in discussions, and they do a good job about communicating to all of their staff. Now, if you don't listen or don't read your email - that's your problem. The management and senior exec team works hard to make sure all of the staff know what's going on and what the plan is for the company.

The CEO, Michelle Lee, is a great lady. I'm not sure why I hear about vacations "every week" - that isn't true. (Is one person posting multiple negative reviews??) STGi has employees in something like 41 states, and Michelle makes site visits a few times a month. I had the pleasure to accompany her on a few of these trips and she does an amazing job. She knows all of her employees, takes time to listen to their thoughts, knows about important events in their lives, and she LOVES to recognize people. If you are a young person getting married, or if you're about to have a baby, or even a grandchild - you can expect Michelle to congratulate you in front of an entire room of people. She is outgoing, she is razor smart, and she knows where to take her company. I was always impressed with how much she knows about each contract and how involved she is. I guess people who sit at their desks and never make an effort to engage her may not know that portion, but Michelle is dynamic.

Cons

I think the company is going through a growth-period, and growing pains can be tough. But this is a government contractor in DC - they're all hurting right now. STGi seems prepared to get lean and agile to face possible government budget cuts. That doesn't meant the exec team doesn't know what they're doing - it means they DO know what they're doing and they're make sure the company is in a good place. I guess that's hard for some people to understand.

Probably the biggest "con" I can think of is that I'd like to see more EdAP from the company. They do provide it, but it isn't very much. It would be nice to offer enough to cover a 3-credit class from one of the local colleges for continuing studies.

Advice to Management

Judging by these comments, you seem to be doing a good job of weeding out people who don't have much to contribute. Continue to make your team lean and agile and keep your employees in the loop with what's going on in the industry. Hopefully then, more employees will understand.

"New opportunities every year."

I have been working at STG International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

STGi has a very professional and respectful environment. In spite of expecting everybody to carry their weight there is a sense of team work and collaboration. While deadlines exist we typically know in advance what they are and what we need to do to meet them.

Cons

It seems like all I hear about in Washington DC is about people losing their jobs. The federal government is even threatening to shut down if they can't agree on how to proceed with their own budgets. STGi is a bit of a victim of the government's lack of planning and fiscal responsibility.

Advice to Management

Don't neglect to provide feedback and acknowledge our hard work and contributions. Even though you all are carry a load of responsibilites too we look to you for input and guidance.

5. "Great company"

Pros

Timely responses. No issues with payroll.

Cons

No issues. Never had any complaints.

6. "lpn"

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Bethesda, MD

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

None that I know of

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and don't always believe what you hear.

7. "Stil challanged"

Current Employee - Professional in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at STG International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I get the have input on projects and help come up with ideas to help find solutions. I genuinely feel like they value my ideas. The tele-work option is great for me because I would otherwise have a really dreadful commute.

Cons

The tele-working has compressed the meeting agenda to one day a week. For some reason management wants to hold certain meetings in person. Not everybody know how to use the Go To Meeting and the Conference line to schedule "virtual" meeting.

Advice to Management

My advice is to hold your staff accountable for doing their jobs and using the tools they have available.

8. "Corp Recruiter"

Pros

Recruiting team is top notch.

Cons

None back in the day.

"Great place to work!"

Pros

I have the ability to strengthen my current skills, develop new skills and work collaboratively with others. I am impressed with the talent that resides within STG International and the willingness my co-workers have to share their knowledge with me and others.

Cons

None I can think of . . . STG International is always looking for ways to grow and improve which are great qualities of an organization.

Advice to Management

Continue to recognize those who do good work!

"A+ to STGi! Lots of communication and great people"

I have been working at STG International full-time

Pros

One of the best elements of working at STGi is the people. Everyone, from staff on sites to staff at headquarters, is so friendly, polite, motivated, and smart. I've really enjoyed the opportunity to work with a wide variety of STGi employees on different projects - and they're great about recognizing people! STGi regularly recognizes staff at headquarters and on different contracts for a job well done, which doesn’t always happen at other companies. Overall, I think STGi is really focused on taking care of its employees. I have been here for a while and there have been a few bad apples here and there (that happens at every company – don’t sweat it), but the vast majority of people I’ve worked with have been a joy to collaborate with and work with on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. Another aspect I love about my job is the general feeling that everyone belongs to this big STGi family. The staff at headquarters does a good job of disseminating information – they’ve got a company newsletter and have sent out other newsletters for smaller groups of staff with similar interests – and they seem to be really focused on communicating information, which I think could be difficult for a company with employees in 38 states, but they’ve always done a good job. Last pro is the CEO, Michelle Lee – she is awesome. She regularly visits employees all over the country, which makes people feel valued and special. And usually they bring lunch, which everyone loves! I’ve been really happy working at STGi and am surprised to see some of the more negative reviews.

Cons

There really aren’t any I can think of during my time with the company. Whenever I have a question or an issue, someone from the main office is quick to respond and help me. They’re really pleasant folks. I guess the only difficulty is that there are a lot of people all over the country working on the same sorts of projects, and it can be hard to know who else is doing something similar to you. I think the newsletters and groups STGi has put together (and from my understanding, is working to expand) really help to connect people who may be able to benefit from shared knowledge.

Advice to Management

Keep visiting different sites and keep communicating! Stick with the great compensation and benefits plan. Keep up the good work!

"Good Govt Contractor to Work For"

Current Employee - Pharmacist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Washington, DC

I have been working at STG International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Efficient interactions with central office. Prompt responses to questions or issues. Co-workers are great to work with (worksite environment is very positive)

Cons

There seems to be a fairly high turnover in central office (minimal impact in the field, however).
    Contract status is somewhat unstable (just due to the nature of the govt contracting system) i.e. cuts may be just around the corner, and employees can leave/or be released with 30 days notice.

Advice to Management

Try to maintain closer links with your field staff. Reinstate the 50% match for your 401-K plan (currently only 25%).