STIHL Incorporated Reviews | Glassdoor

STIHL Incorporated Reviews

Updated August 31, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits, comparable salaries, recommendable (in 11 reviews)

• Great company with good benefits and good work atmosphere (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Challenge as with any international concern is creating the optimum work environment with overseas colleagues (in 6 reviews)

• Very harsh middle / upper management style, high turnover in purchasing and engineering (in 3 reviews)

"Most good reviews are due to unskilled knowledge"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at STIHL Incorporated full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A big company for most who work here and those who want to work here to hide out and lay low with above national average pay, this will be your dream job. But for some of us who are educated and understand the process variation issues in molding, management and various departments this job is a nightmare.

Cons

Lack of management overseeing the departments that require a better communication. Department managers do not meet and understand molding. Technical employees with no degree are paid engineer pay and are part of the issues on the production floor. Quality managers have no follow through and experience to deal with drawing, measurement and quality data management for new and old product. This is left for engineering to reverse engineer poorly developed quality dimensions and manage quality resolutions on an engineer level.
    There are no DFM so old junk tools are rebuilt, no validation methods and no actual effective quality system that confirms process capabilities.
    This company is perfect for ex union workers who want to maximize their pay and do as little as possible...oh yeah and get a nice pension plan after 5 years.

Advice to Management

No advice will hit home to any manager, this is a company you tolerate for the money or you just get the f out.

2. "Administrative Assistant"

I have been working at STIHL Incorporated full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, comparable salaries, recommendable

Cons

there are none worth mentioning

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at STIHL Incorporated full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great products to work with and supportive coworkers

Cons

Heavy stressful workload and a culture of Bureaucratic management

4. "Great Place to Work!!"

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at STIHL Incorporated full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

competitive salary, great 401k match and outstanding pension. I was pretty young when I left the company therefore my pension was no huge but used the 16K.

Cons

Also Stihl is known for its quality, the company's quantity production outways its quality now. Every year I was there the quality went down a little

Advice to Management

New management when I left. The old management treated everyone with respect. I had lunch with them a couple of times

"Not recommened company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

Close to beach, a nice place to live, family have fun here, a good place to raise children, schools are OK.

Cons

Management are micro-management and selfish, no career growth inside company, thinking in German way sometimes cause just stupid politics. The company success is probably due to the location. Looks good from outside but terrible when you get inside.

Advice to Management

Think about how to motivate your employees, stop micro-management and stop selfish. All you think is to how to make you look good in front of Mr.Stihl and other upper management.

6. "Great Company!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at STIHL Incorporated full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great clean working environment, solid work load and organized employer. One of the best in Virginia Beach

Cons

Not much room for advancement, only 2 women with Key Manager positions. Good Boy system. Hand picked for future positions. Ex. taking executives out in the new Tesla after he was cherry picked for a future promised position. He doesn't work much and it doesn't matter. No employee trusts HR. Another example of the "Good Boy system"

7. "Great company"

Former Employee - Packer/Assembler in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Packer/Assembler in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at STIHL Incorporated (More than 5 years)

Pros

Anything you would want from a job is there. All benefits, paid vacations, etc. There's even a cafeteria so you don't have to always go out for lunch.

Cons

Constant standing can take a toll on your body. Some people in higher positions are known to hold grudges and it can impact you directly.

8. "World Class, A+ company"

I worked at STIHL Incorporated full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits, Awesome management team within the Maintenance department, great work environment, excellent training and advancement opportunities, continuing education opportunities, apprenticeship program, great co workers.

Cons

I relocated to an area where I was unable to maintsain my employment with this company.

"Awful leadership"

I worked at STIHL Incorporated (More than a year)

Pros

The company has good benefits and a nice cafeteria. Co-workers are nice out of the work space.

Cons

Awful leadership in so many departments. Almost all top level managers are stuck in very old ways and shouldnt be allowed to be in charge of anyone. They lead by fear, intimidation and favorable behavior towards their favorite workers, creating animosity and a terrible work atmosphere. Top managers are so proud to work for Stihl but aren't worried about doing a good job or encouraging their subordinates to be great. Employers are getting beat down and never get appreciated, which is one of the reasons the work environment is so bad. This was the weidest job I have ever worked and I'm surprised that the management style has been allowed to be this out of wack for so long.

Advice to Management

Let employees rate their supervisors, managers and upper management anonymously every six month. I have experienced this in other jobs and it benefited everyone in a positive way. some departments are happy with their leaders, listen to the ones who aren't and find out all the reasons why and CHANGE THOSE THINGS...it's not rocket science. Fire managers who are incompetent and hide behind creating fear.

"Utility Operator"

Former Employee - Utility Operator/Machine Operator in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Utility Operator/Machine Operator in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at STIHL Incorporated (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits were great and pay was go.

Cons

having to battle the glass ceiling issues daily. Sad, because you work so hard. Senior level management needs to investigate the type of supervisors they are hiring. they are not leaders, they are not good managers. they are tyrants destroying the remaining excellent employees they have sticking area,

Advice to Management

needs new management on the planet floor. The carrot stick approach to managing went out in the 80s. these managers now have no compassion, or motivational leadership skills to maintain a healthy work envirnoment for the worker. everyday, 10 hours, 12 hours, they treat you like robots. so in humane.