SThree Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
SThree CEO Gary Elden
Gary Elden

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Phenomenal training, support and infrastructure, great career opportunities, work hard/play hard attitude and some great incentives (in 12 reviews)

• Work life balance is however depends on how you manage your time with desired results (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Say goodbye to your work-life balance (in 15 reviews)

• As a sales based company, you would expect that it would be KPI driven (in 9 reviews)

"Mediocre"

Current Employee - Back Office
    Current Employee - Back Office

I have been working at SThree full-time

Pros

The PTO is generous. They shut down at the end of the year from Christmas to New Years which is nice.

Cons

I read this once before I started on Glassdoor: Its an all boys club. If you're not in the club, there's no chance for advancement. There's no merit based promotions. Just a lousy cost of living adjustment of 2% across the board. It's a giant popularity contest for whatever they do give people. You have no voice whatsoever. Its basically a circus act masquerading as a professional company. It's a revolving door of changing faces with no long term retention. They don't do a good job of recognizing or cultivating the talent they have within the company. Always quick to replace and bring in the next new thing. And just like true recruiters, they'll sell you on the dream and promise of advancement. And years later, you wonder why you're stuck in the same position barely making it with 2% cost of living adjustments - I mean raises.

Advice to Management

Value your employees. Management frequently recognizes the top performers and managers. They however, don't recognize their support staff and the people actually doing the work. Also, offer internal office advancement.

Jun 2, 2017 – Employer Branding Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy that you enjoy the generous PTO that is offered to our employees. Closing the company between the Christmas and New Year holiday allows employees to spend... More

"consultant"

I worked at SThree full-time

Pros

Fun party environment with a bunch of young people. They encourage going out on meetings, which involves taking prospective clients out to lunch and driving throughout the bay area.

Cons

There are many cons. This place is miserable to work at. The entire management team treats you like you are a 4 year old and clearly has favorites that they cater to. If your not crushing it they dont care about you.

"Excellent Training, Get Out Fast."

Pros

Great Training that is continuous throughout your career there.
    Plenty opportunity to socialize, party, meet new people.
    Ample opportunity to make real $$$ if you are opportunistic, don't mind being unethical, and suck up to management.

Cons

Terrible management with no real managerial/ leadership skills or qualities.

0 Diversity in terms of the type of people they employ. Yes, there is diversity in race/gender, however, everyone has the same interests (drinking, partying, money)
    If you don't share these interests, it is very difficult to make friends, connect with your team, or move up in the company

No true professionalism- from the top down. Starting all the way at the top of upper management.

Unless you are one the very few, don't expect to be making good $ for at least 2 years-- they will continuously tell you that your commission from your hard work will come in 'next month', that it is just 'being adjusted', but I still haven't seen a good portion of it.

Advice to Management

Stop micro-managing, set an example. Stop the 'do as I say, not as I do' attitude.
    Perhaps bring in some talented leaders that know how to inspire & champion people

Sep 6, 2016

Thanks for taking the time to leave a response. We’re happy that you liked the training and career opportunities provided during your time at SThree. We are proud of our fantastic in-house learning... More

"Associate Consultant"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at SThree full-time

Pros

Good sales training, good looking office, tons of resources to do your job well

Cons

poor leadership, micromanagement, terrible work life balance, they look at you like you're crazy if you leave right at 5 or 530, they will pit you against each other, people gossip a lot and it's disgusting, they sell FAKE jobs all day everyday to poor prospective candidates, they make you think that you are going to be an actual recruiter but in reality your are a robot meant to pump out leads with little to luck at conversion. Also, there is a 30%-40% burn rate! I have seen so many people quit and get fired since I started.

Advice to Management

nothing, you do a great job at weeding out people
    This job isn't for everyone. Actually it's not for most people.

Mar 24, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks for taking the time to write this review and sorry to hear you had a negative experience. As a growing business we constantly look for ways to be more flexible and offer a greater working... More

"Great place for 1st job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Work hard and you can eventually receive good bonus pay. Great place for young people out of college to start working. You have to be on time and it is professional dress code. This is good for anyone out of college that wants to gain great work ethics early on in their careers.

Cons

Management staff is very immature and lacks well rounded business experience outside of their current roles.

Advice to Management

Think outside of the box and think about how companies perceive your business. Ditch the thought process of there is only one way to do business.

"More than what meets the eye"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at SThree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- You're paid
    - The people in the office were nice
    - Able to network with people after work
    - nice team vibe

Cons

This position requires a lot of focus on quantitative work and less on qualitative. Management is all about what THEY want and not about your individual goals. Upper management makes the goals, and everyone is is responsible for the leg work.

Incentives rarely included the little people and were most times not achievable.

No work/life balance AT ALL. Be there before 8am (or you're late) and leave closer to never. Try to leave at 5, you are frowned upon.

This company has the "it" people then the "lackies". If you're in the it group, you're praised like never before. If you're a lackie doing all of the leg work, you get little to no praise.

Management is very sneaky and will cut like they care but do things behind your back.

Don't ask to move to something else or what your other options are, you will not be heard of cared about.

MICROMANAGEMENT at all times, throughout your entire career.

Advice to Management

You claim that the goals are for the team, step up and be apart of that team.
    Listen to tour employees and respect their needs.

"Terrible Management, Total Boys Club"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at SThree (More than a year)

Pros

-Uncapped commission structure, with pretty decent payouts if you can stack your sales.
    -Great incentives.
    -Young, energetic co-workers.
    -Decent formal training (though the real way to learn is to emulate top billers).
    -We are moving to a beautiful new office.
    -The SThree brands are becoming more and more recognizable in the US.
    -This job will teach you to be disciplined and punctual, and if you pay attention, you will learn a great sales skill set.

Cons

-Upper management is completely disconnected from their employees; maybe now that we have had some turnover they will realize how unhappy the majority of us are.
    -They claim that career advancement is completely meritocratic, but several managers have been promoted based on inflated (read: FALSE) numbers. We know you didn't hit your targets, so we don't respect your authority.
    -Total boys club. It can be incredibly frustrating/intimidating/humiliating to be a woman on the desk. Oh, and don't think we aren't scratching our heads over the fact that there are as many women as men at this company and there are still an absurdly low proportion of female managers/directors. (As a side note, and overwhelming majority of the people who recently left were women.)
    -Management will endeavor to learn as much as they can about you, your professional aspirations, and your personal life and use it to manipulate you. They will figure out your paint points and harp on them until you produce or crack. With very few exceptions, these people are NOT your friends, although they do an awesome job of making you believe otherwise.
    -Sales is absolutely a numbers game, but the emphasis on KPI's can be wildly excessive at times. Hint: It also gives away the fact that you don't actually care about us as people, only as revenue producers.
    -The atmosphere has become increasingly unprofessional. If you come in drunk from last nights party, it's not a problem as long as you were out with coworkers (this includes managers).
    -I don't know where to begin with the CEO. Maybe I'll just say that the unprofessional atmosphere, especially as it pertains to women, probably filters down from him.

Advice to Management

If you don't start showing at least some signs that you will take steps to improve employee welfare, I won't be the only one who starts looking elsewhere...

Nov 6, 2014 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Many thanks for your feedback and I'm sorry to hear that your experience at SThree wasn't entirely positive.

I know that our management team cares passionately about the welfare and success of... More

8. "Old school clicky environment"

I worked at SThree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits package. Rewarding bonus. Most people are nice if they are not caught up in "the click". Good office location

Cons

Old school environment, really corporate. It often feels like that it's not what you know but who you know. If you are not in with the "IT" crowd you might as well give up.

Advice to Management

Look at the structure. Stop throwing people at problems look for strong processes to solve your issues. Bring together the brands it's far too difficult for back office to manage so many different ways of working

May 16, 2017 – Employer Branding Manager

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to highlight both pros and cons.

Our benefits package is something we’ve been working to improve over the past couple of years and we’ve always... More

"Would be a good company with proper direction"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at SThree full-time

Pros

The company culture was acceptable in the early days

Cons

Human Resources leadership team - unethical and untrustworthy

Advice to Management

Start again. With good investment the company could flourish

"Rec Consultant Review"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

Pros

Good training as a trainee

Cons

Pyramid scheme
    Poor management
    shocking commission structure
    shockingly high turn around of staff
    favoritism
    too many egos
    Big empty promises at interview stage
    values arent followed
    no loyalty or trust within teams (backstabbing environment)

Advice to Management

Quit

Oct 28, 2016

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and for your positive feedback on our training of new consultants – this is something we’ve always prided ourselves on at SThree.

I’m sorry to hear that the... More