SThree Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SThree CEO Gary Elden
Gary Elden

Pros
  • Phenomenal training, support and infrastructure, great career opportunities, work hard/play hard attitude and some great incentives (in 12 reviews)

• Work life balance is however depends on how you manage your time with desired results (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Say goodbye to your work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

• As a sales based company, you would expect that it would be KPI driven (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company - Fantastic people"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SThree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the 1 and a half years I worked with the company. The training program was always changing and adapting to the need in the office. The people in the company really made my experience as there was a diverse group and they were extremely inclusive and you always would have someone to grab lunch with, a coffee, a beer or someone for some friendly advice. The management was great as all of the managers had started as fresh graduates and had built the business up. My personal situation meant I needed flexibility for some time off and my management worked with me for that without questions. Anyone looking for a successful career should consider Sthree. Also the office views are out of this world!

Cons

I never really experienced any down sides when I worked there

Advice to Management

Keep the diversity going! Be known for hiring out the box and this will give you the edge over other companies!

"Recruitment consultant"

Pros

Potential to make a lot of money. Most co-workers are young and friendly.

Cons

While there is potential money to be made here, it's doesn't happen to everyone (or really anyone for that matter) I'd say 5% of the company makes 90% of the money, and management is sure to make you aware of who that is. If you aren't a top performer you might as well leave because they don't have time to waste on that. The job is all about hitting your KPI's, not about the quality of the work being done. You are constantly micro-managed about everything. Besides that there is clear favoritism amongst some people and it is demotivating for those who are not within that circle. If you're looking for work-life balance or flexibility this is not the place to go. They tell you after 2-3 years you'll be making $100k+ but I only know a handful of people who have been there longer than a year. All they care about is making money and that's the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Take note of the fact of how high turnover is. How do you expect this company to be successful long-term if you are having to constantly bring in people since everyone else is leaving?

"Pretentiousness will result in failure."

I worked at SThree full-time

Pros

More time off that most US companies offer.

Cons

Does not recognize that the US is a different market from Britain.
    Low salary
    Negativity from management... disconnect.

Advice to Management

Your business in the USA. Do not assume that the same pretentious attitudes that your company seems to get away with in other countries will work here. Otherwise you are doomed to failure and you will be closing offices in the US as you have in other countries.
    In the US, friendly and relaxed business people are the most successful. Backstabbing and pretentiousness will result in failure, especially when dealing with your US employees and clients.

"Principal recruitement consultant"

Former Employee - Principal Recruitment Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Recruitment Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SThree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great alternative to car sales certainely if you don't hold a degree
    Possibility of interesting earnings
    Offices often conveniently located in city centres
    Relocation opportunities

Cons

A incentive centric work environment where everybody is incentivised to sell more so they can drink more together after work. It's cool when you're still young, but the management feels like they still expected to be the masters of ceremony. It gets a little pathetic since most of them are married and trying to cheat on their housewives with the fresh female recruits. Useless to say there isn't much to expect sales career wise when you're a woman in this company.

Advice to Management

Be more respectful to your staff and come back to earth. Outside of Sthree you won't look like the Wolf of Wallstreet any longer.

Mar 28, 2016 – Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your review. You're right, this is definitely a target-driven work environment that promotes incentives for top performers, whether that's all-expenses-paid vacations around the world ... More

"Stressful and political atmosphere"

I worked at SThree full-time

Pros

It was a really fun place to work straight out of college, it's like never having to leave the frat parties. The managers impose a lot of numbers and try to stress you out, and then encourage everyone to go out and get really intoxicated afterwards.

Cons

Very political environment, and rewards are based on who has the best relationship with upper management, not on merits.

Advice to Management

Reward people based on merits, get rid of the people who are only good at playing the game. Find other ways to incorporate culture that doesn't involve excessive amounts of employees

"Suffocating environment"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SThree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice offices & good/fun people at every level

Cons

Unfortunately they promote people to manager level based on their ability to sell which doesnt have any correlation on their ability to manage. Run like a European company with very strict guidelines in terms of dress code, hours (mandate lunch hour/strict 8 am start time,) phone times, and internet searching being very limited.

Advice to Management

Make people managers who are leaders not just people who are good sellers. Ease up where you can so employees don't feel suffocated and feel the need to lie to their managers and peers

Mar 28, 2016 – Talent Acquisition

Hi and thank you for sharing your review with us. Your feedback on how the San Francisco office is run is very helpful in shaping how we grow the office while maintaining our ranking as one of the ... More

"Chicago Intervention Needed"

I worked at SThree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- young environment full of positive and energetic employees. One of the greatest groups of people I've worked with
    - training is second to none. It's incredible and will give you a great starting point for your sales career
    - happy hours, incentive trips, creative sales days
    - free coffee and fruit
    - good office location with a nice view

Cons

- the management team needs to be scrapped starting at the top and working it's way down. The environment is extremely political. You are told you will need to hit KPIs for promotion targets, but if you're a favorite you may just be magically promoted without billing, blanking for months, etc.

- going off of the point above, there are a few select managers in the business who are amazing. However, it is difficult for their voice to be heard. Voicing their opinions or sticking up for their direct reports often ends up hurting them.

- Retention rate is embarrassing. All sales environments will have high turnover, especially within recruitment. As soon as you realize the political nature and toxicity of the environment, you'll leave.

- kool aid environment is very real. You will be brainwashed, and you will like it. Eventually, you'll wake up.

Advice to Management

Give Chicago an intervention. Hire a new VP and bring in loyal and unbiased Directors under them. Sthree has the potential to do amazing things and be a true leader in the recruitment space. This will not happen with the current management team. Your top billers have and will continue to leave.

Mar 21, 2017 – Director of Talent

Thank you for your feedback. We're happy that you found the training programs to be useful as it is an area we have invested a lot into. We're also happy that you recognize some of the other benefits ... More

"Warning! Do not work for Sthree"

Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SThree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Earning potential is great if you're doing well..

Cons

Extremely poor leadership at the director level. Top heavy company that takes advantage of the junior consultants. Toxic work environment with a very poor company vision. Very political work environment. Low base salary

Advice to Management

Clean up the senior leadership or else you are screwed

Mar 21, 2017 – Director of Talent

We're sorry you didn't have a great experience at SThree, however are glad you recognize the financial opportunity that exists. We are currently doing a significant amount of work to understand the ... More

"New Grads: Great Starting Point for Career Suicide"

I worked at SThree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training: Incredible and strong follow through via Rookie Training

Comradery: Forced mentorship in buddy program

Location: Downtown Chicago in the loop

Benefits: Vacation time

Cons

Bold Face Lies AKA Salary and Commission: Take what they told you you'd be making in commission and divide it by for a more realistic number i.e. $35k base + $45k-$55k in commission+ $42k-$45k annum

Work/Life Balance: LOL

100 point plan: Career suicide if you're just starting out, you get scraps of commission for your first 7 or 10 deals, and the commission scheme is appalling if you're a recruiter.

"Merit" Based Promotions: To get promoted to senior consultant, you must bill $600k, which is roughly 50 $25,000 fee deals. You may also get promoted in the event that they need someone to take over due to high turnover, or if you sleep with the right people.

Management: One good apple out of a bag of rotten ones doesn't make it a good buy.

If you have any sense in researching a company's glassdoor page before or whilst interviewing with them, you have enough sense to not work for Sthree Chicago.

Advice to Management

Set your people up for success, if they're successful, you'll be successful. However, it's quite clear that 90% of you no longer care, so leave and let others who want to successful and want to be there and want to manage, manage.

Mar 21, 2017 – Director of Talent

Thank you for your feedback. We're happy that you found the training programs to be useful as it is an area we have invested a lot into. We're sorry your experience in other areas weren't as great ... More

"Micromanaged Out"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at SThree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Eventually get flexibility in your schedule after working there for 2-3 years.
    - Nice office
    - 4 weeks vacation starting out
    - Free fruit

Cons

- Trained by management to lie, cheat, and do whatever you can to get business - management team only cares about what commission they are getting next quarter, no focus on ethics or customer service.
    - Break employees down through negative reinforcement, threats of losing your job, and public shame when you don't hit your targets
    - Don't pay employees ON TIME, if there is an issue with an employees pay, whether that was by mistake of management, commissions or the employee themselves- THIS SHOULD BE TOP PRIORITY!! I've seen countless consultants not receive the pay they were entitled to in a timely manner.
    - FOR SALES - expect to be on a strict budget when traveling and you have to use your own credit card for all expenses!! Cannot expense cell phone, don't get a laptop or anything but they expect you to be on the road 50% of the time.
    - No work life balance, managers will get involved with your business and ruin it if you don't work on your days off. Always ask for your email password to send emails from your account while you're out of the office. Very inappropriate.

Advice to Management

- Management needs to understand they are no longer in the U.K. - American business is different. We value hard work, intelligence, treating employees and clients fairly and with respect.
    - Stop treating college graduates like they are idiots. They deserve to be treated like adults with responsibility for their own business.
    - Clean house with US exec team - expect Morgan, literally the only valuable leadership asset on the team.
    - Fire consultants and managers that engage in sketchy unethical business practices. Sthree will eventually burn bridges with every single major employer in their respective markets.
    - Acknowledge when you make a mistake! Management never apologized or accepted blame for ANYTHING. If you cannot admit when you make a mistake and point fingers at your employees, everyone will leave.

Apr 7, 2017

Thank you for the feedback. We are encouraged that you appreciate our flexible working arrangements and generous vacation policy. Our values are central to our identity and it is very concerning to ... More