SUGARFISH Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 10, 2019

Found 25 reviews

3.3
Kazunori Nozawa
  1. "I loved working here"

Former Employee - Host Then Server in Brentwood, CA

I worked at SUGARFISH for more than 8 years

Pros

Everything. I loved working here. It's the first "fair" establishment I've ever worked for. they really have their stuff together. They're organized and well managed.

Cons

None really. It's busy so some might complain about the fast paced but I thrive on that.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

SUGARFISH2015-07-17
  2. "Not your average restaurant job"

I worked at SUGARFISH full-time

Pros

You know how much you will earn every paycheck. $27/hr server wage. $13/hr host wage. Customers cannot add additional tip unless it is in cash. Generally, very smart and educated/experienced staff. Most servers and some kitchen staff are university graduates. Line managers are competent and talented for the most part. Learned a lot in terms of time management skills.

Cons

Must learn very strict spiels as to not devolve the secrets behind the kitchen. Due to the very limited menu, servers must deal with customers who do not understand. Small staff. Getting shifts covered is next to impossible.

Advice to Management

lighten up a bit

SUGARFISH2015-07-13
    • "sugarfish"

Former Employee - Server in Brentwood, CA

I worked at SUGARFISH part-time for less than a year

Pros

High wage. $27/hr as a server

Cons

A lot of walking. No tips. No breaks

SUGARFISH2015-06-28

"Don't work here."

Former Employee - Host in Marina del Rey, CA

I worked at SUGARFISH part-time for more than a year

Pros

The rate of pay is consistent, which is good in a restaurant. Bonus hourly pay instead of tips to promote teamwork.

Cons

It will be the most stressful job you ever work, and if you don't seem stressed they assume you aren't working hard enough. Imagine working in a restraunt that is constantly understaffed. There is no busboy, everybody is the busboy. If you're the food runner (only one runner per shift, none during mid) they also expect you to memorize where every single seat in the restaurant is at in their meal and to refill their drinks...

Advice to Management

Fire all FOH management especially the FOH supervisor.

SUGARFISH2015-07-01
      • "Great environment to work but tough hours for those who dont want to work late"

I worked at SUGARFISH full-time

Pros

Great environment to work at because teamwork is considered a big priority while working. Fast pace makes time fly while working Some people are cliquey but a majority are nice and laidback

Cons

Not going to specify which GM but sometimes can be rude/unprofessional at work and tends to be flirty with the male employees but harsher on the female employees Can be tiring to work late esp during summers

SUGARFISH2017-02-02