SUNY Downstate Medical Center Staff Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
SUNY Downstate Medical Center President  Dr. Wayne J. Riley
Dr. Wayne J. Riley
0 Rating
  1. "Great place to work!"

Staff Assistant in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at SUNY Downstate Medical Center

Pros

Great benefits, good pay, supportive union

Cons

None I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

SUNY Downstate Medical Center2010-05-12

"Staff Assistant II"

Current Employee - Staff Assistant II in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at SUNY Downstate Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have worked here for nearly 23 years and it has afforded me extremely growth in managerial and administrative experience.

Cons

No opportunity to elevate to the next level. Enormous amount of changes departmentally and within the institution that are not positive changes.

Advice to Management

Learn how to work as a team rather than against one another. There's strength in numbers and it helps when everyone is on the same page. Team Work Makes the Dream Work.

SUNY Downstate Medical Center2016-08-22
  3. "Good working experience for 30+ years at SUNY downstate."

Current Employee - Staff Assistant

Pros

Multicultural environment, meet interesting people from various countries. Took time off whenever I needed to and other employees and myself was able to work our vacation schedule without a problem.

Cons

You can work for many years without the department offering you a raise; unless you speak up you will never get one (they always claim that there is no money to give you one) but trust me, they have it but just want you to work hard and be a nice employee and don't ask for a raise.

Advice to Management

Management is now in the process of restructuring Downstate and as a result some of us have lost or will be losing our jobs. The problem is that management is not taking into consideration that they are getting rid of valuable employees that make (and have made) major contributions to the hospital and the College of Medicine. Retrenching employees who have done outstanding work for so many years that they have been working there, is wrong. I suggest that the president do some research on employees who are recommended for retrenchment before signing the letters; take a look at the employees work history and performance evaluations. The job title and the tasks performed by an employee does not go hand in hand. If the work that an employee perform doesn't belong in that department, then move the employee to the right location and avoid retrenching him/her.

SUNY Downstate Medical Center2014-06-28