SUPERVALU Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SUPERVALU President & CEO Mark Gross
Mark Gross

Pros
  • Also depending upon your position you may be able to work from home a couple of days per week (in 17 reviews)

• open culture, work life balance, good compensation (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, expectation to work 7 days a week (in 13 reviews)

• Good, not GREAT benefits, no 401k match (maybe this year tho), no raises for a while during the darker days (in 12 reviews)

"Retail pricing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Stanton, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Stanton, PA

I have been working at SUPERVALU full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mon-Fri hours. Decent pay-rate.

Cons

Didn't receive orientation or training. Was handed my I-9, left alone for an hour to stare at a wall, directed to take my badge photo and shown to my desk. Wasn't told which software programs I was to use and wasn't given any contact information for the merchandisers I was to be working with. My department manager is unprofessional and talks about the employees she doesn't like behind their backs and aims to ice out particular employees until they get fed up and find alternative employment. One time, in an attempt to embarrass me my department manager took a personal email of mine and forwarded it to the whole department with an expletive to "make an example of me". Oh and health insurance sucks. Also, when complaints are made to HR confidentiality is always broken.

Advice to Management

Check in on your department managers and see how theyre treating their employees. There is a lot of pettiness and targeting going on.

2. "company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

Pros

slight discount and flexible schedule

Cons

mobile work environment, psychotic leadership

Advice to Management

conduct some 360 degree reviews of management

"winds are changing"

Current Employee - Technical Buyer in Hopkins, MN
    Current Employee - Technical Buyer in Hopkins, MN

I have been working at SUPERVALU full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Super team players Huge Company Location Time off is flexable

Cons

Company changes directions with the wind....sales...profits....customer service....Each department has silos and wall built so nothing can get done between them because everyone is afraid of loosing power in the political struggle.

Advice to Management

Get out of the glass offices and see what is going on. Read and respond to employee surveys

"Disappointing"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at SUPERVALU full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility in where you work. Casual work environment. Passionate people trying to turn things around.

Cons

I was warned about the "old regime" and how frustrating they would be to work with. They were probably the best part of working at SV! Unfortunately, the "new regime" is having problems figuring out their direction. I was hired after a frank and honest conversation about my skills. After 4 months, the direction of my group changed and I was told I needed to have certain skills (ones previously communicated that I did not have) immediately! I volunteered to learn the skills, but was told they could not wait. I was given 6 weeks to resign or I would be put on a Performance Plan (aka Fired). This was not a unique situation to me. It is happening to others. The worst part is that management or HR never talked to me about the situation.

Advice to Management

Be ware of how all levels of management are treating people. This type of behavior is borderline illegal and word will get out about how horrible people are getting treated.

"Pharmacy Department Specialist II"

Former Employee - Pharmacy Department Specialist II in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Department Specialist II in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at SUPERVALU full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good deals with company products. I felt very welcome at first, but that didn't last very long. The location was nice and clean also.

Cons

My manager was rude and made me feel as if I was incompetent. I sat facing a wall and not very many people talked to me. It was frustrating as none of the programs I needed, worked. Two-three weeks into the position, I was still communicating with IT to gain access to those programs on my own. Whenever I tried to break awkward ice by making a joke, my manager wouldn't even laugh. He'd literally say, "it's actually not funny." Wow... lighten up. I've never worked in that type of position. The break room areas had microwaves, but no silverware. None, at all.

"Great place to work, if..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hopkins, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hopkins, MN

I worked at SUPERVALU full-time

Pros

You are pro-discrimination, pro-harrassment, anti-intelligence, anti-decency. Truly the most hostIle workplace and immoral HR of my 20 year carrer

Cons

see above + too many golden parachutes for every failed CEO of the past 10 yrs.

Advice to Management

Get ready for the backlash from your most important retailers. Say goodbye to Miners, Remsen, Coborn, etc, who are all shopping around for more competent, ethical wholesaler.

"Bad outweighed th good."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

Pros

People who worked in corporate office in Boise, Idaho were great to work with and for.

Cons

Change in Minneapolis Senior management in 2013 and 2014 had negative impact on culture of company. This is reflected in stock price.

Advice to Management

Know you audience. Example - Don't brag about sending your children to the most expensive universities in US at the same employee meeting where employees are being told 401k matching is going away.

"Wouldn't take this assignment again"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA

I worked at SUPERVALU (Less than a year)

Pros

It was close to where I lived.

Cons

Low pay, cramped quarters, and the whole office had an atmosphere of impending doom.

"Technical Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

Pros

Good salary. Freedom to work from home. Direct managers good to work with. Great team members.

Cons

Executive leadership does not listen to the workers. Regime changes frequently. No action taken for hostile work situations.

Advice to Management

Do the right thing.

"Anonymous"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at SUPERVALU full-time

Pros

Decent pay, Flexible schedule, Good people to work with,

Cons

Discretionary 401k=No 401k match..., Uncertain future, Its a great company to work for when they feel like they need you. This could change at anytime because they are always looking to cut costs in certain areas. I left the company because of the instability and low morale.

Advice to Management

Stop being so short sighted. Come back to reality and realize that the people working for you are valuable assets. Outsourcing things that take years for a competent US Citizen to understand is a bad idea.