SUPERVALU Reviews | Glassdoor

SUPERVALU Reviews

Updated March 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Also depending upon your position you may be able to work from home a couple of days per week (in 17 reviews)

• open culture, work life balance, good compensation (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, expectation to work 7 days a week (in 13 reviews)

• Good, not GREAT benefits, no 401k match (maybe this year tho), no raises for a while during the darker days (in 12 reviews)

1. "Not on a path to succeed"

Pros

Flexibility. Well intentioned, dedicated team.

Cons

They never got synergies out of Albertsons acquisition and unwinding the deal has not created enough room for investment to remain competitive. Still an old school grocery that hasn't shifted to being responsive to consumers.

"Department Specialist"

Current Employee - Department Specialist in Mechanicsville, VA
    Current Employee - Department Specialist in Mechanicsville, VA

I have been working at SUPERVALU full-time

Pros

On the job training, 2 weeks vacation, sick time,

Cons

Unfair advantage to employees that has parents & other relatives working to higher positions.

Advice to Management

Promotions should be based on performance, not who management likes to hang out with, or who has a relative in a high position.

"Good job if you like a fast paced environment."

Former Employee - Order Selector in Meridian, ID
    Former Employee - Order Selector in Meridian, ID

I worked at SUPERVALU full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Being a union member. Management was good. Feel like pay was good for the job being performed - order selector.

Cons

After over 12 years with the company was put in lay off status. Had to call in every day to see if you worked. Night shift needs better pay!

"Category Merchandiser"

Pros

Ability to work from home 2 days per week, decent office with mobile work stations, has a fitness center.

Cons

Very old school management style, poor leadership, not always flexible, lower than market average for pay, people aren't the most friendly in corporate atmosphere, took away 401k, raises are small and don't even cover increase in cost of living...

Advice to Management

When employees ask for more challenges, more ownership, just giving them admin work is not fulfillling. When you say the job is one thing and then turns out to be nothing like what the job description listed, that's disappointing. Being condescending doesn't make your employees want to work for you.

6. "winds are changing"

Current Employee - Technical Buyer in Hopkins, MN
    Current Employee - Technical Buyer in Hopkins, MN

I have been working at SUPERVALU full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Super team players Huge Company Location Time off is flexable

Cons

Company changes directions with the wind....sales...profits....customer service....Each department has silos and wall built so nothing can get done between them because everyone is afraid of loosing power in the political struggle.

Advice to Management

Get out of the glass offices and see what is going on. Read and respond to employee surveys

7. "Horribly Inefficient"

Pros

Nothing is properly organized at any level. No one seems to be properly trained except a few people who do all the work while the rest sit there doing nothing.

Cons

overtime if you want it.

Advice to Management

Walk through the warehouse and spend some time in there

8. "Disappointing"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at SUPERVALU full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility in where you work. Casual work environment. Passionate people trying to turn things around.

Cons

I was warned about the "old regime" and how frustrating they would be to work with. They were probably the best part of working at SV! Unfortunately, the "new regime" is having problems figuring out their direction. I was hired after a frank and honest conversation about my skills. After 4 months, the direction of my group changed and I was told I needed to have certain skills (ones previously communicated that I did not have) immediately! I volunteered to learn the skills, but was told they could not wait. I was given 6 weeks to resign or I would be put on a Performance Plan (aka Fired). This was not a unique situation to me. It is happening to others. The worst part is that management or HR never talked to me about the situation.

Advice to Management

Be ware of how all levels of management are treating people. This type of behavior is borderline illegal and word will get out about how horrible people are getting treated.

9. "Accountant Review"

Pros

Fun people to work with, encourage moving around company to learn more, tuition benefits, offer decent benefits, option to work from home on occasion - more so in other departments

Cons

Poor work-life balance, lack of good leadership, micromanaging, overwork employees without proper compensation, quickly hire people to fill openings without thinking about consequences

10. "Pharmacy Department Specialist II"

Former Employee - Pharmacy Department Specialist II in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Department Specialist II in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at SUPERVALU full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good deals with company products. I felt very welcome at first, but that didn't last very long. The location was nice and clean also.

Cons

My manager was rude and made me feel as if I was incompetent. I sat facing a wall and not very many people talked to me. It was frustrating as none of the programs I needed, worked. Two-three weeks into the position, I was still communicating with IT to gain access to those programs on my own. Whenever I tried to break awkward ice by making a joke, my manager wouldn't even laugh. He'd literally say, "it's actually not funny." Wow... lighten up. I've never worked in that type of position. The break room areas had microwaves, but no silverware. None, at all.

11. "Supervalu"

Pros

Fun, benefits, work environment, career growth, and stepping stone

Cons

Repetitive, pay could be better, need more equipment for safety reasons