SVA Certified Public Accountants, S.C. Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 3, 2017

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Carl E. Schultz

1. "Exceptional talent at the principal levels; however, promotions are slow to come for staff."

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Brookfield, WI
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Brookfield, WI

I worked at SVA Certified Public Accountants, S.C. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The chance to learn from experts in a variety of fields such as tax, business advisory, trust/estate planning, valuation/litigation, healthcare, manufacturing, consulting, assurance, wealth management, real estate, and many others.

Cons

Objectives and standards are inconsistent and not clearly outlined. Challenges are typically faced using the "trial and error" approach. Technological advances to the accounting industry will be slow to adopt and develop here.

Advice to Management

Invest time in communicating clear expectations to staff, while allowing them into the company's vision.

2. "Some good people, problematic business practices and ethics"

Current Employee - Administrative Support in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Administrative Support in Madison, WI

I have been working at SVA Certified Public Accountants, S.C. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some really great people work here. It is a friendly office overall. They have free food during tax season.

Cons

Business processes - they are NOT streamlined or efficient, throughout. There is a lot of tedious and unnecessary work because they don't want to train people and "change how we do things." There is little to no consistency from different departments, and no attempts to train people to get on the same page. It is an inside joke that employees "should never ask why they do things like this."

Business culture - there are pockets of dysfunction throughout the company. Unethical behavior is permitted and newer employees that draw attention to it are often harassed out of their jobs. People are not treated equally, and it causes tension.

Human resources - is NOT available for any grievances you may have. They are there to do the hiring and cover for the company legally. Employees are told they can share concerns in a safe space, but those concerns have been used against people. I have had grievances be ignored, and been told by coworkers that it has been a problem for years before I was hired. The turnover for my position has been high.

Advice to Management

Significant improvement is needed in upper management, human resources, and in all the isolated departments that have not had their business practices analyzed in years. Lower-tier employees are treated with disrespect by some people in management. There is client over-billing and inappropriate and unprofessional behavior, both which could lead to lawsuits.

3. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Madison, WI

Pros

Flexible hours, casual dress code (dress for your day), friendly employees, lots of room for advancement if you are ambitious

Cons

Health insurance cost is rather high. Long hours in tax season but no different than most public accounting firms. Training program could be better.

5. "admin"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Madison, WI

I worked at SVA Certified Public Accountants, S.C. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

friendly co-workers, depending on the department you're in.

Cons

health insurance is really high

Advice to Management

if you are a cpa, you will climb, but other positions are stale.

6. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at SVA Certified Public Accountants, S.C. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is wonderful. There was no Friday work from Memorial to Labor Day.

Cons

There was little variety in the work. In addition, the benefits and compensation were just average.

Advice to Management

You are doing a great job. This is a great place to work. I hated to leave, but wanted to do something different.

7. "Good Experience if you are interested in tax"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Madison, WI
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Madison, WI

I worked at SVA Certified Public Accountants, S.C. as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Work with a variety of different clients

Cons

The work was different from what they said I would be doing in the interview

"Not respected for work I do"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookfield, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookfield, WI

Pros

I am not micromanaged and can do somethings on my own.

Cons

There is no rational to promotions or career advancement.

Advice to Management

Treat others as you would like to be treated.

"Great experience but in need of a little more employee flexibility."

I have been working at SVA Certified Public Accountants, S.C. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work where you can stay for as long or as little as you want. Many people have worked here for more than 10 years and enjoy it. Very friendly co-workers and executive staff.

Cons

In my department there is a lot of micro-managing from my supervisor. Feeling like I can't have a good work-life balance.

Advice to Management

While some departments are great at giving employees a great work-life balance others are not. Also it would be great to institute a yearly evaluation of employee supervisors from their stand point so that you can improve those who manage your staff.

"Ok"

Pros

Nice people there and they do have some extra benefits like food on the weekends, end of tax time parties.

Cons

They don't pay well and as far as the IT dept, they are less interested in keeping and promoting and more interested in getting the most work out of you for the least amount of money.

"CPA, Healthcare Services, Consulting and Wealth Management"

Current Employee - Administrative
    Current Employee - Administrative

Pros

Knowledgable in their fields. Many of years of expertise in their staff.

Cons

Understaffed and has been cutting back on staff the last few years and spreading the work out running people thin,

Advice to Management

Realize people aren't machines and there is a limit to how many staff you can let go and choose not to replace.