SWC Technology Partners Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
SWC Technology Partners President and CEO Bob Knott
Bob Knott

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance is good for consulting industry (in 7 reviews)

• Tons of free food & beer on Fridays (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • No 401K match, work remote, monthly pay you get used to (in 27 reviews)

• No 401k match is the only negative thing to say about benefits (in 32 reviews)

1. "Marketing Intern"

I worked at SWC Technology Partners full-time

Pros

Awesome company! I interned here for a summer and had a great experience. The company is on the smaller side but has the opportunities for everyone to grow. Each team feels like a small family, and the company has so many perks for their employees (fruit Tuesdays, other holiday celebrations, etc). I would completely recommend working here, especially as an intern.

Cons

Honestly can't think of any.

2. "Growing!"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at SWC Technology Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is growing and expanding. Probably in the golden years. Will they become nationally widespread? Time will tell as they expand their locations.

Cons

No 401k match, communication to other office a little lax.

"A fairly good company to work for, but all marketing."

Former Employee - Software
    Former Employee - Software

I worked at SWC Technology Partners full-time

Pros

I got to work hard and be recognized for it.
    I got to work on diverse technologies.
    I saw that there was a pathway upwards for those willing to work for it.
    The business is strong.

Cons

Expect that you'll get SOME interesting work with some really smart and great to work with people. But you'll also get stuck on a terrible project with a bad commute that does not count toward billable hours, for months on end. Expect that there will be some great mentors, but that you'll also definitely work with maybe one or two managers that have built a reputation for driving employees away.

SWC is also all marketing. From the website to being on best places to work lists, to possibly GlassDoor, SWC has a STRONG marketing game. They makes sure to get into every "best places to work" list, but my best advice is to just disregard all of this, treat it like a normal company, and don't be swayed by marketing talk. It's an OK to Good workplace. Free beer on a Friday (after 4) and free burritos does not make SWC the greatest company in the world, or even Chicago.

"Great place to work hard and have a lot of fun"

I have been working at SWC Technology Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of great reasons to work at SWC

- Variety of technologies and roles
    - Do not have to be at a certain level to be put in any role on a project
    - Career direction controlled by each consultant
    - Hire within the team at all costs
    - Bring in good people at the right times
    - Tons of perks including food, beer on Friday, company wide events, and team events

Cons

There are the obvious cons you see on the other reviews like no 401k match, do not have an opportunity to work from home or from downtown office but the good outweighs the bad

Advice to Management

Continue to grow smart and make sure as changes in upper management happen that you continue to remember how it will affect the entire team. Be careful not to make decisions without thinking through the ripple effect.

"Very Happy at SWC"

I have been working at SWC Technology Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company strongly believes employee happiness is critical to the business and it shows. Leadership encourages employees at all levels to pursue their passions and regularly checks in to make sure you are progressing and growing in their career. Hard work is recognized and rewarded, but that doesn't mean you're expected to work around the clock. There are a lot of company-sponsored wellness and social events that have made it really easy to get to know people outside of my immediate department. It truly is a pleasure to work here and that's not something that I have ever felt in previous jobs.

Cons

The company is going through a major growth spurt so growing pains are to be expected. Communicating these changes between teams so everyone is on the same page will be helpful.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at SWC Technology Partners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Collaborative Atmosphere, fun leadership, outgoing co workers. Great incentives, you do good works and you are rewarded well!!! Lots of promotions within, great to see.

Cons

No 401K match, work remote, monthly pay you get used to.

Advice to Management

Keep training, promoting from within, investing in your people.

"Great for inner circle, passable not great for the rest, insufferable for the outer circle"

Pros

There's a good bonus structure in place
    Youthful energetic environment
    Career counselors for all consultants
    First week introductory program (very new initiative)
    Some leadership care about employees

Cons

Lack of maturity in middle management
    Culture nepotistic
    Offer up non-material perks like foosball tables, "appreciation" poker chips with no monetary value attached and occasional free food in lieu of benefits that matter: 401k match, more than 2 weeks of vacation, ability to give manager feedback through 360 reviews
    Highly critical environment - employees are always left defending their actions internally, not even to the client
    No training
    One central clique/culture of exclusion
    Flat organizational structure with no room for career growth (too few rungs on the ladder)
    Old timers largely ignore infusion of fresh talent

I do not recommend this place if you've ever worked at a company with proper policies and career advocacy

Advice to Management

You need 360 feedback asap
    You need a suggestion box so employees can give their ideas for improvement

"Smart growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at SWC Technology Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Anytime I hear a company say "we're growing!" it makes me nervous. Explosive growth can mean major structural changes, bench time and lay offs, and disorganization. But it really seems that the company is growing, but not rushing to do so. They expanded into Indianapolis area and are targeting clients in other areas, and delivery is changing the way they work based on this growth. There are changes, and not everyone likes change, but I think it's been positive overall.

Work-life balance is good for consulting industry. People are great. They just made a huge new kitchen/break room which is nice. Overall nice place to work.

Cons

Still want that 401(k) match. Communication internally and between teams can be better, but not bad.

Advice to Management

Keep working on employee development programs. Food and fun stuff is nice, but at this point in a lot of our careers, we care more about developing our technical and leadership skills.

"Overwhelming number of fake reviews for a sub-par company."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at SWC Technology Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Occasional free food. Developers get to touch a lot of different tech stacks.

Cons

No 401k match, no work from home opportunities, monthly pay schedule.

But you already knew that. Note that every 5 star review mentions those three things. When you interview there, they reiterate those 3 things as if they are rehearsed. Pay is well below average.

Anything that looks nice is all smoke and mirrors.

Advice to Management

You get what you pay for. Get better developers.

10. "Cannot recommend this company enough!"

Former Employee - Technical Business Analyst in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Business Analyst in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at SWC Technology Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Highly talented co-workers, responsive leadership, supportive environment, great benefits. They really do treat their people like family.

Cons

No 401k match, and pay schedule is monthly, which does take some getting used to - not really a negative.