SWC Technology Partners Reviews | Glassdoor

SWC Technology Partners Reviews

Updated June 28, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance is good for consulting industry (in 7 reviews)

• Good Culture, Lots of growing opportunities, Free food and soft drinks, It depends on the type of person to get along with the employees (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • No 401K match, work remote, monthly pay you get used to (in 26 reviews)

• No 401k match is the only negative thing to say about benefits (in 31 reviews)

1. "Associate Consultant"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at SWC Technology Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nearly all employee are engaging and I get along with everyone. Healthcare is great although costs did rise 16% after my first year (company wide). Pay structure is cool and unique for consulting - basically have the ability to get paid overtime even though you're salary because of bonuses/incentives you get for high productivity/efficiency.

Cons

No 401k match is the only negative thing to say about benefits. Working with many PMs simultaneously can be a strain as they all seem to have different ways of running things.

Advice to Management

Keep growing and hiring more capable consultants! Make sure to keep in close contact with new employees who may be struggling with something but don't want to reach out for help.

2. "Great Company"

I have been working at SWC Technology Partners full-time

Pros

Great culture, many opportunities for career development, fast paced environment

Cons

Not good if you just want to be a developer

"All about the clients, not the employees"

I have been working at SWC Technology Partners full-time

Pros

Beer Friday
    Free drinks
    Holiday party
    Incentives
    Annual Meeting

Cons

No 401k match
    Highers younger, shy, or low self esteem employees that lack quality to avoid paying higher salaries
    Brown nosers advance over hard workers
    30 minute lunch with no flexibility

Advice to Management

HR should focus more on the employees, instead of focusing on the image of SWC.

"Internship at SWC!"

Pros

Great Company! Full of smart and bright people who are passionate about there careers.
    They do alot of fun activities and really challenge the interns and give them alot of opportunity to make an impact.

Cons

No cons I had a great experience.

"Un-biased and honest review"

Former Employee - Helpdesk in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Helpdesk in Oak Brook, IL

Pros

Happy hour (beer) every Friday. Tons of free food. Challenge of learning a new process, technology or procedure. Market average pay. Good option of healthcare. Cell phone reimbursement.

Cons

When a company shoves "fun place to work" it is usually because they over work you to begin with and here that is true. I often times see people either skip or not take their lunch or eat at their desks. For a corproate job 30 min lunches are a bit of a joke. I often felt chained to my desk working at the helpdesk. There was always too much to do with too little people. Co workers were very helpful but can tell they had the "what do you want now" look on their face because they had little time to teach you how to do something without having a bunch of phone calls to tend to. I was very very micro managed so the point I was asking myself constantly "why are they asking me details about every little thiing I do or don't do". I personally felt there was little to no room for mistakes, as when I made one regardless of how small, I later would have three emails from different supervisors, a follow up meeting and a touch base for every mistake (can anyone say officespace movie?). Office is cramped and they moved the helpdesk to rediculous "workbench" style seats where you have absolutely no privacy at all. Very picky about everything because their contracts with customers are month to month and not yearly etc. great learning opportunity but came at a rush to get something done. I found myself never having the time to learn a customer very well because I had to "move onto the next call/ticket" almost immediately. I like goals to get certifications, but one every six months is not sitting well eith me. I barely have time at work you think I want to spend all my free time studying to get a pass on an exam every six months? Nah...

Some helpdesk functions were definitely more of a systems engineer or systems admin type of duties, NOT a helpdesk dutie (tape backups, dns and dhcp). They give you an engineer test at your interview, tell you it means nothinng. I feel like it does actually because most stuff on that test had zero to do with helpdesk. They gave me an engineer test because that is what I was doing in my job lol.
    The hiring pricess is like you will never see, and it is because they want good people. It makes me wonder though.

Advice to Management

Hire more than the bare minimum that your "workload reports" tell you. Maybe longer lunch breaks, 401k match, private seating a bit more realistic goals.

"Awesome Place to work!"

Pros

I really enjoy my time at work. This is a great teamwork environment. All types of ideas and suggestions are always welcomed. The organization always tries to come up with special events to allow all employees to mingle and socialize. They have won the Crain's best places to work and Chicago tribune best places to work numerous times in a row, and it shows why!

Cons

On of the main cons i have here is the no matching 401k. Honestly cant complain about too much.

"Don't buy into marketing tactics"

Former Employee - Intern in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Oak Brook, IL

Pros

Decent pay, food is always nice, people are friendly at face-value.

Cons

Managers are extremely bias and disingenuous. You need a certain personality to enjoy working here, and from day one people already act like they have figured you out. Think of working here as a try-out rather than actually learning something you haven't done before. Some people who work at SWC can be a tad bit racist.

They have a sweat-shop mentality, people just sitting behind their desks cussing and yelling about the cluster of work that is going wrong before them.

HR can be a bit over the top, they claim to market the company more than it actually is and constantly recruit people and then waive them out a couple months later. This is all meant to make the company look good. Another thing is the company culture reputation they claim is misleading, their website is really a big marketing scheme and they stage photo's on casual Friday taken by a professional photographer.

Advice to Management

Don't take yourself too seriously, you're a software company. If you're preaching innovation to your new-hires then make sure you listen to them and not just yourselves.

"The good and the bad."

Current Employee - Consultant in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at SWC Technology Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people. Pays average to above average if you can survive the interview process. Good career opportunities and ability to move up. Pays for cell phone.

Cons

Most of these reviews are fake and promoted by HR. SWC can't retain the good people. I'm guessing the long hours and lack of vacation has something to do about it. 10 vacation days a year. 4 sick days. Most of the "fun" place to work stuff is all smoke and mirrors - you will be too busy to enjoy yourself unless you're in HR.

Advice to Management

Work on retaining your employees.

9. "Good company to work for"

Pros

SWC, overall, is a good company to work for. Management always has the client's best interest in mind. Employees are encouraged to learn and grow into a position that fits their individual goals.

Cons

The work can be a overwhelming at times. There is always more than enough to do. Also, there is no 401k match.

"Hit or Miss"

Former Employee - Help Desk Technical Analyst in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Help Desk Technical Analyst in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at SWC Technology Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cons

Training was lacking a lot, way too many expectations when you first start, the team members I had weren't really social so there were many awkward moments. Overall when it came to getting the job done, there could've been more training to help with that. There is also a lot of micro-managing which tends to get stressful with someone always asking you what you are doing. Also, you get paid monthly and no 401k match.

Advice to Management

Implement a better training program for new employees and don't ASSUME that the new employee knows everything after 2 weeks of training.