SYGMA Network Reviews in Columbus, OH | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Alan W. Kelso
1 Rating

Pros
  • great people good pay good security (in 20 reviews)

• Great benefits, good managers, excellent work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Always understaffed, long hours, negative culture on the floor (in 8 reviews)

• Hard work in all types of weather, tight demanding schedules (in 7 reviews)

1. "Transportation"

Former Employee - Transportation Supervisor in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Transportation Supervisor in Columbus, OH

Pros

SYGMA has good pay and benefits. The people that I worked were nice and I learned a lot. It is a fast paced company

Cons

The business is low margin with national account chain restaurants. Unfortunately the clients have a significant amount of control relative to the company's success.

"VPGM"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at SYGMA Network full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Solid company with recovery possibilities to once again grow EBITDA. Customer contracts had positive growth attached to them as well as most DC are located to take advantage of landed costs.

Cons

The old guard came back in change and returned it to unprofitable again. Funny how thing come full circle so quickly?

Advice to Management

Sysco should oversee the proforma of the sales team, on all contracts. Stop shipping cases for free.

3. "Truck Driver"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at SYGMA Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay. Quarterly bonuses.

Cons

LONG hours out on routes. Warehouse not held responsible for loading the trucks very poorly which makes our job much harder.

Advice to Management

LIsten to your drivers.

"Warehouse Supervisor"

Former Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Columbus, OH

I worked at SYGMA Network full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and bonus. Most people have a 4 day work schedule.

Cons

They spent a lot of time telling us how as management we were the back bone of the company and then would turn around and do as much as possible to put you down and eventually run you out the door. Supervisors are eliminated or replaced after 5 to 10 years.

Advice to Management

Develop the people you have and quit trying to replace good people.

"Abandon all hope ye who enter here"

Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Columbus, OH

Pros

Decent pay and benefits, if you work in the warehouse you will be treated well.

Cons

The work is hard, often absurdly so and Sysco continues to make it harder with out any logical reason. Hours are long 80 hr weeks for team drivers, with only one day off, if that and working while in the berth is required if you plan on working here long... Just don't get caught by the Sygma watchers, they will fire you. Management, from the top down, is incompetent, inefficient and out of touch with reality. Driver turnover is extremely high due to the long hours and difficult work; Sygma claims to pay a competitive wage to their drivers, but virtually every other company in the food distribution business pays substantially more. Over the last few years the work environment has rapidly worsened as Sysco has gotten more involved with the running of our company and has enacted a number of policies that make the driver's job harder and more dangerous. In the old days when a driver had a problem usually it was "solve it yourself" but now when a driver has a problem it is "we don't like your solution here's another problem instead."
         I have been working, in one way or another for nearly thirty years and I have never worked for a company that is so utterly dysfunctional and so dead set against fixing any of its problems... In fact it is in complete denial of most of the more serious ones. Management is openly hostile to the drivers and treats us like children half of the time, and like machines the other half. Warehouse workers are paid better and receive much better treatment and are not held accountable for their mistakes... In fact virtually no one is held accountable except for the drivers who are consistently given more and more responsibility for the success of the company without any increase in compensation. The only thing that keeps me here is my vacation time, a misguided sense of loyalty and a dying hope that things will get better.
        I would not recommend this company to any driver..... Ever.

Advice to Management

I have none to give, you wouldn't take it any ways. Management is beyond help here.

"It's okay, but could improve"

Current Employee - Purchasing & Inventory Control Specialist in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Purchasing & Inventory Control Specialist in Columbus, OH

I have been working at SYGMA Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Office culture, location, social activities

Cons

Lack of bonus opportunities, growth opportunities