SYKES Director Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
SYKES President & CEO Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Ability to work from home and committed to promoting from within (in 344 reviews)

• Great trainer and enjoyed the work environment (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Back to back calls can be exhausting, need more employees (in 24 reviews)

• I really feel the pay should be increased for at home customer service workers (in 47 reviews)

"Excellent company that really cares about their employees and clients."

Current Employee - Account Director in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Account Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ability to work from home and committed to promoting from within. Work hard and prove yourself and this can become a great career.

Cons

Pay is not as high as brick and mortar but that is offset by savings in meals, travel and attire.

2. "Coordinator"

Former Employee - Director in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I worked at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The flexibility of working from home was the big advantage.

Cons

The pay was marginal yet the opportunities were questionable.

Advice to Management

Be more understanding of those who work in the field.

3. "Great Place With Great Opportunity!"

Current Employee - Director in Tampa, FL

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great place to work. The culture is family-friendly with great work/life balance. Even though the company is 40 years old, it embraces change and innovation. Team members are a pleasure to work with, and everyone is helping each other.

Cons

No downsides to add to this

4. "Director"

Current Employee - Major Account Director in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Major Account Director in Tampa, FL

I have been working at SYKES (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and upward movement opportunities. Challenging work area

Cons

Very stressful and thankless job

"Manager"

Current Employee - Director in Tampa, FL

I have been working at SYKES (Less than a year)

Pros

Good working environment, good co-workers, upper management who really try to do the right thing for everyone involved. Many steps taken in the last several years to move the company forward.

Cons

Company must realize that we need to pay more attention to the people who really make the company work, i.e., all of our contact center agents. Unfortunately these are the lowest paid positions in the organization and they have limited mobility. Also, company is not at all creative when it comes to compensation, no stock options or awards unless you are in top management making it very hard to build a long term future with them..

Advice to Management

Be ore creative when it comes to compensation. Salaries are already lower than average so for director and manager levels why not add some restricted stock or options to the packages? Find a way to better compensate the agent work force in the company as well.

"Great global company to work for!"

Current Employee - Director, Global Human Resources Talent Management in Louisville, KY

I have been working at SYKES (More than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoy working for SYKES because it offers a very people oriented culture and I’m a true people person. The global nature of the work that I get to do every day is truly energizing and continues to challenge me as I grow in my career. Over the past 9 years, I’ve had the opportunity to work on many interesting and challenging projects and with great people. I’m always amazed at the talents of our employees around the globe and feel incredibly lucky to have the opportunity to work with so many wonderful people!

Cons

No cons to list right now

"Positive"

Current Employee - Director in Tampa, FL

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment
    Laid back culture

Cons

Siloed organization with difficulties working across the organization

Advice to Management

Break down the walls between organizations/functional areas

"Client Services support for multiple lines of business across multiple states/regions/countries"

Current Employee - Director of Operations
    Current Employee - Director of Operations

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity for advancement is excellent

Cons

Heavy workloads due to reduction in Sr. Support staff without replacements in a timely manner

Advice to Management

Consider Travel Compensation package for employees that travel internationally

"Customer Care Professional"

Former Employee - Director of Operations
    Former Employee - Director of Operations

I worked at SYKES full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great at home work opportunity. Company provided, paid training, computer, monitor (on some assignments), keyboard, mouse. Different assignments throughout the year with different companies. No more fuel costs, wear and tear on my vehicle. No commute time. Great training during first 4 weeks although please see cons.

Cons

I kept being asked how many 1:1's I've had and for many weeks I said none. A 1:1 to Sykes is considered yourself in a virtual room with other employees (ie. 20 people) and a trainer, mentor, coach, etc. That to me is a 1:20, not as a 1:1 is intended to be as I am a former manager who met with my staff in a group and individually each week. It wasn't until WEEKS later after nesting when I was given additional time to meet metrics was I scheduled a phone 1:1 to discuss metrics which in my opinion should have happened from the beginning of taking calls. That guidance (which really wasn't much - 20 minutes of discussing your metrics) would have been beneficial in meeting the required metrics sooner. Those 1:1's (which were only 3 of them) also discussed your 2 quality scores where the client listens in to 2 phone calls/week and rates you. One week I was rated a 100 (considered a WOW) and a 50 (because I read the wrong script to a customer). Guess which was was NOT discussed. You must average an 85 between the 2 each week. So the one wrong script blew me out of the water, yet when taking approximately 60+ back to back daily calls (and at the end I averaged under 4 minutes average talk time) ALL of the wonderful phone calls I assisted with, deescalated, congratulated customers for their newborn baby, assisted a military wife who's husband was deployed off shore and they couldn't afford their bill any longer so I went ABOVE & BEYOND with a supervisor and then getting her in touch with Soldiers & Sailors with her and I in tears by the end of the phone call..... who listened in on that call? Do you think the client may have wanted to hear how one of their remote, work from home customer care professionals passionately worked to assist this family who is fighting for our freedom? I wasn't trained on that at all; I had to figure it out on the fly by myself and it was a very long call. Who listened in on that call? No one? But I sure got a 50 because I read the wrong script which should have been caught & corrected weeks prior in a 1:1.

First 4 weeks of training: On my first assignment we didn't have access to our tools that we would use to work with customers until 2 days prior to taking phone calls. We got to see screen shots. That was horrible although we were expected to meet Average Talk Talk of 5 minutes or less and struggled not having touched these programs. The tools were not ready because it was the busy ramped up holiday season and there were SO many new people for Sykes to process IDs and Passwords, etc. Well if you are ramping up for the season by training a myriad of new staff then Sykes needs to ramp up it's IT department to anticipate that ramped up season. That sets your employees up for failure.

In my 2nd assignment we had access to some tools but not all. Made it challenging to take calls and not ever had the opportunity to use the tools but yet needed to meet 5 minutes or under metrics.

Advice to Management

Read cons. Coaching is NOT forwarding emails to the staff within your team. It is reaching out FROM THE BEGINNING not 7 WEEKS LATER after taking phone calls to ascertain progress, struggles, successes, guidance, coaching, future goals and more. You need to work on that or you will lose VERY good people who work with your client's customers VERY well. You will lose those assets who will give YOUR company a good reputation. You will waste money in salaries from coaches, trainers and employees when those staff could have been developed and retained with more guidance - not forwarded emails.

Make all tools available to employees during training that are required to use when working with customers.

10. "CEO, CFO ...and nothing else"

Current Employee - Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Director in London, England (UK)

Pros

Good place to start and develop, however opportunities are not for everyone and not in all geographies.
    Excellent CEO, Excellent CFO...pity they are the only ones.

Cons

Conservative.
    Executive management getting old.
    Stressful working environment

Advice to Management

You don't move "millennials" if you are not "millennials"