SYKES Reviews | Glassdoor

Chuck Sykes
1,084 Ratings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "The calls are back to back during holiday season and can be very stressful" (in 34 reviews)

• "There are not enough Product Specialists to help customer service representatives when they need it" (in 65 reviews)

1. "Technical support agent"

Former Employee - Technical Support Agent in Morristown, TN
    Former Employee - Technical Support Agent in Morristown, TN

I worked at SYKES (More than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

Don't really have any cons about this company.

2. "Operational Management"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Provo, UT

I worked at SYKES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sykes is a uniquely challenging work space for people who love a fast-paced and information-intensive environment. The work teaches extensive character growth and discipline if you apply yourself. Sykes is great for resume building if you are fresh out of high school, and has a fair community with feelings of accomplishment and prestige among peers when you do your job well.

Cons

At Sykes, I did notice a poor motivational morale in the workplace with a high turn-over rate, several unprofessional behavior problems within the employee environment . There was a seemingly ghost-like company hierarchy connection that was lacking (between project partners and Sykes business operations) and there was an overly traditional "closed doors" approach to management: you didn't exactly feel like know who or what you are working for, and you needed to make this up each day (what is to be is up to me mentality) to continue justifying working there. Extensive tech issues blamed on agent's productivity. Operational management was actually paid less than entry level employees (but it's like the story in the Bible. Each person gets paid a different amount even though they work different hours, sometimes seeming unfairly, but the laborer in a capitalist society agrees to his reward. In principle there is nothing wrong with this, but sometimes it makes you think twice). Overall a fantastic learning experience. The word "opportunity" sometimes means a pay cut, but the pitch they give is that you're lucky to have a job at all. (This is the way employees are treated, but for some people a job is better than no job, so I see their point.) My recommendation is to stay away unless you are a self-motivator or are young and need to build a resume and you are just starting out.

Advice to Management

I appreciated the opportunity to build relationships with the Sykes community and am certainly honored to have been a part of the company, especially as a budding manager. From my time "on the front lines", I saw extensive problems with operations, much bureaucracy in the business, little attention to detail among employees, and low productivity and enforcement of company HR policies. Lack of leadership can often create a rift between vision and implementation, and I can appreciate the story of John Sykes and his vision for the company, but I feel operations needs to go beyond that instead of making a mythology out of the story behind Sykes. This is the struggle of most businesses, to continue vision between generations. I can hypothesize based on my empirical observation of my experiences and my knowledge of business in several Fortune 500 companies that in the next few years Sykes will either change its ways and grow as a company into a new era of business, or languish in the 20th Century working mindset it has created for itself. I did my part to make sure operations went smoothly as a manager, and it would be great if the effort I put into the operation would make the company able to reap what it sows. Hard business decisions were made, but I'm ultimately in a better place now because I applied myself at Sykes Enterprises. So, I thank you for the opportunity greatly.

3. "Senior Team Leader"

Current Employee - Senior Team LEader
    Current Employee - Senior Team LEader

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Virtual work at home environment allowed good life/work balance. Had good experiences with most management and co-workers.

Cons

Lack of professional development opportunities and paths for internal movement. Compensation below average for similar non-virtual positions.

Advice to Management

When managing the various customer service operational contracts allow for strong performance to have additional paths for corporate opportunities and compensation.

4. "My Thoughts"

I have been working at SYKES full-time

Pros

The pay is okay and I can get all the hours I want

Cons

They are not understanding when someone needs time off

Advice to Management

I would be more understanding with your employees when something dramatic in their life happens.

5. "former employee"

Pros

work from home is great

Cons

management issues too many to list

6. "sales associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at SYKES part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

very easy job to do

Cons

the pay for the job will be the con

"Customer service"

I worked at SYKES part-time

Pros

The staff is great overall

Cons

When needing to take a vacation you are placed on waiting list and it takes to long to get approval. Even if no one else is on the list. Makes it hard to plan anything.

8. "Customer Service Representative"

I worked at SYKES full-time

Pros

Work from home opportunity is the only pro because the pay sucks and customers are extremely rude and they will take out their problems with the company on you and treat you less than a person.

Cons

Very overwhelming for little pay and poor training. Management and the company doesn’t care about employees.

Advice to Management

Care more about employees and since pay is minimum wage do not expect maximum work from employees. Often times companies and their management teams forget what it’s like before you get to the top. Treat employees how you would want to be treated. Provide more extensive training also. 2 weeks of training doesn’t suffice for the overwhelming tasks.

9. "Customer Service"

I have been working at SYKES full-time

Pros

Quick interview process and friendly

Cons

First pay is low but with skill and consistent work higher pay

10. "Good Company So Far"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative At Home in Lawton, OK
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative At Home in Lawton, OK

I have been working at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly Trainers
    Good Pay
    Great Bonus for Cash or Paid Time Off

Cons

Trainers are unable to answer most of your questions

Advice to Management

Train your trainers better