SYKES Reviews | Glassdoor

SYKES President & CEO Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

1,767 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Ability to work from home and committed to promoting from within (in 350 reviews)

• Great trainer and enjoyed the work environment (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Back to back calls can be exhausting, need more employees (in 25 reviews)

• I really feel the pay should be increased for at home customer service workers (in 50 reviews)

"Limited Opportunities"

I worked at SYKES full-time

Pros

Decent pay for location
    Good benefits
    Lenient attendance policy

Cons

Limited room for growth
    Favoritism
    If you do manage to get promoted, you'll likely make less than you were before and be appreciated far less.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting based off favoritism.
    Hold all employees equally accountable.
    Support your support staff so they can better support their direct reports.

2. "Customer Support Agent"

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Macon, GA
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Macon, GA

I worked at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love Sykes! I worked there for a few years. The management on my program was wonderful. I felt that my support system, such as my Team Resource Supervisor and my Team Leader always had my best interest at heart. They do promote from within and you do have to ability to move upward in the program. They also have great incentives around the Holiday's and offer bonus for meeting metrics. They offer an array of opportunities for the people willing to put in the work for it.

Cons

Not many. I will say that the time spent waiting for Hardware approvals and Escalations needs to be addressed, as it does get averaged into your handle time., which is a part of the Metrics used to evaluate the agent. Other than that, I was pretty satisfied in my role with the company.

Advice to Management

None. I had a stellar support system in place for my program.

3. "Great company, wonder co-workers!"

Former Employee - Client Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Client Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at SYKES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company was really fun to work for! They had great co-workers! The managers listen to you and we really carpet it with you! And I worked as client manager and the people that worked on the me listened and we're really qualitive with me! They have a knack for hiring really good people! You will enjoy working here and you will make new friends with your co-workers!

Cons

They were a few managers and supervisors that were up on the top that were hard to handle and deal with. I heard a lot of complaints about them. I did not work for one directly but I've heard a lot of complaints about people that worked with them. Some of the people that have worked here longer periods and that are older can be a bit of a hassle because they are really strict.

4. "Operations | Agent"

I have been working at SYKES full-time

Pros

Great stepping-stone into the world of business

Cons

Current conditions facing contracted workers leaves much to be desired.

5. "Intuit Help Desk"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment and skilled agents.

Cons

After acquisitions of certain Frontier Communications Assets... Many promises made to those agents were null and reversed. Only thing they have not done to date is lower agents pay.

Advice to Management

Need better Project Management as well as controlling needs of agent and more.

6. "Company is great, the work is hard"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Provo, UT

I have been working at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid almost unlimited overtime, lots of bonuses

Cons

Angry customers all day, really strict schedule, harsh penalties for mistakes and absences

Advice to Management

Allow some scheduling ability to 'swap' easier with teammates. With weird work hours, people are going to need greater work time flexibility to be able to stay long term.

7. "@Home Representative"

Former Employee - CSP in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - CSP in Denver, CO

I worked at SYKES (More than a year)

Pros

Fun client, remote job, achieved and maintain top agent status and received good raise and some paid vacation/corporate trips.

Cons

Call center work, work at home.

8. "Employed as Support Technician Taking Calls Remotely From Home."

Former Employee - Remote Call Center Technician in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Remote Call Center Technician in Denver, CO

I worked at SYKES (More than a year)

Pros

Working from home means you never have to worry about what to wear to the office, transportation issues, fuel costs or being snowed in. Some of the supervisors were really nice.

Cons

The pay was not great. 11.50 when I left and remote employees are not paid while if they step away at any time. If you lose connection to there servers you are not paid the whole time you are trying to re-access their server unless you can prove unequivocally that it was the companies fault and they don't consider the fact that you did not lose connection to anything else a valid agreement. When they did take responsibility for an issue it was an uphill battle getting paid for the time. Support on difficult calls was luck of the draw. Some management treated staff rudely. Remote techs were required to work almost every holiday including Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year. These were black out dates. Remote staff was not allowed to request the days off ever.

Advice to Management

Be more supportive of your home staff and your turnover will not be so high.

9. "Undecided about the company"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Provo, UT

I have been working at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunities for growth and development.

Cons

The benefits are expensive and you receive less.

"Capital One Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boise, ID

I worked at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supportive atmosphere! Prizes and bonuses for teams making their goals. Some leaders are able to show care and professionalism beyond their educational attainment levels. Company emphasizes showing care and compassion to customers, being friendly. Time limits for call or not emphasized. This makes it a different type of customer experience that is much more likely to be positive. Enjoyed assisting customers, enjoyed much of the work. Everyday had one or two calls that were outstanding and rewarding! HR happily works around personal schedule if you have a unique situation. People are able to trade with others who want a particular day off so that we can be humans, too!

Cons

Lower end of scale pay. Left at 11.00 hourly. Wages might be good for a student who is being supplemented, or a retiree who has savings. Not so good for independent person who must pay bills and debt. Very important banking regulations are sometimes not emphasized in training! Sometimes trainers have in fighting and show unprofessional demeanor. I have a college degree with years of experience. Several times when they were backbiting, I wondered why I was working for unprofessional people and attempting to please them. Educational background and experience needs to accounted for positions in which we are hired. It was a waste of my potential to keep me as a customer service representative any longer than 3 months. I could have served them better in Human Resources or as a Trainer. College education, teaching experience didn't account for much here. Ability to become popular and aggressive gets you somewhere in this company! Some team leaders appear professional, but do not distribute attention and care equally among their team members. They have "favorites". I was also shocked when I heard my team leader discussing other members to me, and how they had screwed up different calls. I was given too much inside information about my coworkers without their knowledge. I informed him that this was unprofessional behavior and that began a decline in our relationship. I did not need to hear information about my coworkers, I simply wanted to work my job.

Advice to Management

Ethics and integrity are crucial, not only with the credit card customers, but with the employees. Training needs to be uniform. Stress professionalism. Don't allow male team leads to say sexually suggestive things or have innuendos to their CSR's. Females will have a difficult time coming forward without fear of a decline in the working relationship. Confrontation of the leader only leads to work difficulty. Team leader needs to speak professionally about other team leaders, or make no commentary at all. Demoralizing atmosphere when one can't confront the team leader about the unprofessionalism. I went to HR, but I was uncomfortable to make waves. It all worked out, the job had little potential to fully utilize my skills and education. However, I did so with the customers. Ability for social care and compassion shown to the customers was rewarded, I appreciate that.

Showing 1,767 of 1,792 reviews