SYKES Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
SYKES President & CEO Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Ability to work from home and committed to promoting from within (in 339 reviews)

• Great trainer and enjoyed the work environment (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Back to back calls can be exhausting, need more employees (in 24 reviews)

• I really feel the pay should be increased for at home customer service workers (in 45 reviews)

1. "Bad experience"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Provo, UT

I worked at SYKES (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing but bad management and pay

Cons

Low wages high cost for insurance does not pay u for time worked. I had to go to the labor board to have them pay me. And was assult ed my a manager

Advice to Management

Control your coaches and pay the employees the money for working the hours they worked

2. "Real Talk"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Wise, VA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Wise, VA

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Schedule choices, fast paced, lot of opportunities for feedback and coaching, promotes from within, co-workers, attendance policies, OT opportunities, supportive management (if you're lucky).

Cons

Pay is the biggest con. You're not paid fairly for the hard work you have to do daily. It's not fair most management only makes a dollar more than a entry level agent. Upper management not being heavily involved with lower management and agents, more job support while on the production floor, better interviewing process that are a bit more selective, favoritism, micromanaging, terrible benefits.

Advice to Management

Listen to your agents and lower level management. We are the people who make or break you. While you sit in your offices making more money than we will see in years, thanks to us, we are fighting on the front lines. We at times crumble under the stress you place on us. We stick it out though because for the most part you pay our bills. You do not provide us a living wage. You service clients who are in the top 25 Fortune 500 compatibles while your agents and lower management are still having to struggle pay check to pay check. You claim so much money is there to be made but this is straight up dishonest. Stop acting like you care. Let's start proving it. Let's create a call center company based on merit, dignity, integrity, and honesty. If this was the case you would excel and would not have some of the highest turn over rates in the industry.

3. "Wouldn't recommend unless you are desperate..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chavies, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chavies, KY

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is okay for the area and anyone can get full time

Cons

Constant write ups and firing, your job is never safe so there is always that fear of getting written up or even fired over something small.

There isn't enough floor support, anytime you need help expect to be holding your hand in the air for over 30 minutes, same goes for when a customer needs a manager

Not a place to move up, even if all your stats are good they still find ways to keep you down.

They expect too much out of the workers, it's customer service and they want us selling to irate customers and get good feedback while doing so, they recently fired a bunch of people fresh out of a training class because there sales weren't good, rather than working with them to improve they just fired them.

They don't want you to get up to use the bathroom when you need to go... if it's a lot then sure but 1-2 times a day ain't gonna hurt.

The incentives for selling services are very poor

The people who add stuff onto peoples services without there permission are rewarded while the people who are honest and make a honest amount of revenue are threatened there job basically because they don't meet "goal".

Advice to Management

Stop being negative to your workers and maybe they will actually enjoy there job somewhat and put in more effort.

Rather than being quick to fire people work with them and try to make them better, the people fired fresh out of training weren't given a chance.

Be more realistic with your expectations, we are not gonna get sales every day, it's not possible unless we just add random stuff onto peoples accounts, most of our issues are billing issues and the last thing they want to do is spend more money.

Promote more people because there is never enough floor support for the amount of workers there taking calls, there is always good tenured agents there who would be great helpers but they don't ever take them off the phones to help.

4. "Horrible Place to work!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fayetteville, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fayetteville, NC

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from Home. No dress code at home.

Cons

Terrible hours. The attrition rate is horrible because the managers don't know what they are doing. You can never get a straight answer. The benefits are sorry, don't even give you what is required for Obamacare and the cost is not worth what you pay. No room for growth even though they say there is. You get a small .15 raise for every 3000 hours but you have to fight to make sure they give it to you. You never get the same answer twice. No phone number to call, everything is email. Run as fast as you can from this company. They have grown so big they do not care about the agent anymore and you are at the mercy of the client. If they lose the client and you don't get picked up by another one you are out of luck.

Advice to Management

Go back to treating your employees like people instead of numbers and train them better so they will stay with the company. Pay them better and listen to your agents.

"Not a great atmosphere nor good for Customer Care."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Lakeland, FL

I worked at SYKES full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a job...That's about all I can say.

Cons

They do not care about the contracts they are working on, just the bottom line for their budgets. They do not care about quality Customer Care, just get them off the phone. They do not care about their employees...everyone is just a number and can easily be replaced.

Advice to Management

Rethink your company feel. The environment is very hostile for everyone concerned.

"Team lead"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Bardstown, KY
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Bardstown, KY

I worked at SYKES full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At brick and mortar I enjoyed my co workers

Cons

Our site shut down due to attrition but we ended number 1 in the enterprise (and I was the number 1 manager) while I was working there I took advantage of the tuition reimbursement. Well I tried to take advantage of it, let's just say. I was enrolled and met all the criteria and when we shut down we had the opportunity to work at home which I took advantage of. I worked there until the client pulled the contract and they wanted to take my management pay and my tenure (I worked there 7 years) and start at the bottom with another client. I was able to make more on unemployment so I went that route until I could find something else. I then inquired about my tuition reimbursement only to find out the paperwork was never faxed and they refuse to give it to me now because I'm no longer an employee so I wasted a ton of money and nothing to show for it! They now refuse to return any of my calls.

Advice to Management

Follow through on your promises! You can afford that huge building right on the bay, im pretty sure you can pay back the tuition promised to a worker that had 7 years of service!

"Unorganized, tech ignorant, laughable mess"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Na Ah Tee, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Na Ah Tee, AZ

I worked at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can sit down for 8 hours a day and make money talking to strangers over the phone/internet.

Cons

Working for Sykes. The Team Leads can be completely ignorant to technology and try their hardest to act like they aren't. Any time there's something wrong with their equipment, they test your Ping and Packet loss, and instantly blame it on that and most times instead of helping you through it, ASK YOU TO CONTACT YOUR INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER. So you end up calling your ISP because you don't know what else to do, and they're dumbfounded that you're even asking them what to do. The entire job is laughable bull crap. I was recently let go for breaking a non disclosure agreement. I had called into their customer support and casually mentioned that i worked for the company as well. I broke a non disclosure agreement, while basically talking to a coworker. It's been over a week now, and they're fighting my unemployment benefits, which will take another 2 weeks now. Sykes takes themselves too seriously and needs to understand they're a joke of a job that anyone can have and embrace that. Stop trying to make this people's careers, because for some people, like myself, its not their career. It's their crappy job that YOU pretend is YOUR career. It was like a giant acting game. My team lead acting like she knew what she was talking about, acting like she knew me and acting like she knew what was best, when in reality none of the info was relevant or helpful.

Advice to Management

Make people renew their NDA's. I signed an NDA 8 months ago, and "broke it" while on the phone with a co worker. Don't hire EVERYONE, and I wish you the absolute worst.

"Horrible place to work. Loose morals a must..."

Current Employee - Csr1 in Malvern, AR
    Current Employee - Csr1 in Malvern, AR

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are flexible with scheduling.

Cons

TMs push you to do sketchy sales. No floor support managers sitting at desk playing on Facebook not helping agents. Management ask you to lie to get sales. You will get reprimanded and even fired if you don't sell tv before resolving customers issues. Sales are the #1 priority above helping customers problems they have called in about. Management blames ATT for making the rules and say that if you fix a customers problem before offering direct tv service you can and will be terminated. Management also tells agents to not lite but omit the fees to make the product look better. The people who train you no NOTHING about the job and have not been on the phone in years can't operate basic systems efficiently. Systems crash on a daily basis and you have to keep tabs on your pay because they do not give you a pay stub although you can get them online they do not show you how to access them. Tms leave the site for hours at a time leaving team with no manager and alot of things that need to be done had to have management approval so you resort to searching for anyone that can help you in the building. Horrible job could be better if it was managed properly.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

"People are nice - company isn't"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team leads and trainders are fabulous

Cons

Unable to get time off - even when requested six months in advance
    Reps are blamed for high absenteeism rate - it is seen a a weakness by employees rather than an issue with poor upper management

Advice to Management

Remember you are hiring PEOPLE.

10. "customer service reprasentitive"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Wise, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Wise, VA

I have been working at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good co workers, great location,

Cons

not enough pay, you get paid less for more overtime. they really don't care about their employees and more about their contract at he time, no job security

Advice to Management

listen to your employees

Showing 443 of 1,745 reviews