SYKES Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
SYKES President & CEO Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work from home job with a perfect management staff (in 404 reviews)

• Best benefit is a happy work environment (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Back to back calls can be exhausting, need more employees (in 30 reviews)

• I really feel the pay should be increased for at home customer service workers (in 57 reviews)

1. "Customer Service Rep work at home"

Former Employee - Work At Home Telephone Customer Service Representative in Tampa, FL

I worked at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

work at home, saves on gas

Cons

lame company and lame managers. very little opportunity to grow career. no benefits that one can afford. severely underpaid in this industry. tech support positions are really online customer service positions for selling third party services and performing online transactions.

Advice to Management

stop lying to employees when you cut them loose based on home office configuration not lining up with Sykes requirement by saying they would not be barred from future employment opportunities across the ball effectively blackballing them from future employment opportunities.

2. "Terrible company to work for"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Orlando, FL

I have been working at SYKES part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work at home... And that's it that's the only problem for this company there's absolutely nothing else

Cons

They don't care about you whatsoever if they mess up for example let's say they forget to tell you that there's a meeting you need to attend, and you don't attend because they failed to mention it to you, then YOU are to blame because you didn't show up for the meeting you were never informed about....let that sink in

Advice to Management

Actually give a damn about your employees and quit blaming the employees for your mistakes, just own up to your own mistakes and be professional for f sake

3. "Half the pay for triple the work for Coaches."

Current Employee - Facilitator/Coach in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Facilitator/Coach in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home and can be somewhat flexible. That’s really it, interns of “pros”, which is sad. It could be a fantastic experience.

Cons

Have not had a raise since I was promoted to coach/trainer/agent 4 years ago. Every time you ask for one, they give you an excuse as to why they can’t. I make 60% less than someone in my field in a brick and mortar, and they say that we save so much money working from home. However, I’ve never spent 60% of my paycheck on work related expenses. My states minimum wage went up, so now I make $0.13 more an hour than minimum wage, as a coach and trainer. They expect you to do everything they ask, accept more work load, but won’t pay you. Don’t waste your time. It’s not worth it just to work from home.

Advice to Management

Pay better. You can afford it.

4. "Run for you life!"

Former Employee - Agent in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Agent in Albany, NY

I worked at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are very good at making you think it is going to be the best job ever! They also fill the rooms with positive words only allowed. That way nobody gets to comment on what is really going on.

Cons

The worst training ever. Yes! It is set up to be good but as they feed you the answers, never actually watching the videos or doing the training set up by the client, and skip right over the nesting part and then toss you into a system you know nothing about that they all say is wonderful but really is a huge bunch of information on any subject and certainly so hard to find with a simple search or you find too much with a simple search and end up trying to read an encyclopedia with your customer on the line while wading through years of information nobody updated or removed, that you are lost in space with a customer expecting a solution. Further, the wording is innocuous. Manager, Supervisor..those are the same thing depending on who is working. One could be WOC or one could be supervisor on any given day. Nobody really knows what the right thing to do is and that is why they keep telling you go to the KB and do not ask questions. It is all in there. Somewhere. Somehow. Maybe. Not really. Whatever. If you get lucky, you might find a solution! What does it matter anyway. Unless you are on foodstamps, or welfare, or some other credit for them who can make them money while answering calls, no matter how good you are as employee, you wont have a job for any decent amount of time there. You are seasonal. When tax season ends, it is all, oh see you next year! With a smile! You should expect nothing less.

Advice to Management

Enjoy the ride. It will not last forever. You can fool some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time. While you pad the complaints up to the CEOs of these companies trying to prevent them finding out just horrible you are doing answering their calls and just how costly this is, they will eventually catch up. It starts on the ground floor. You treat your employees like they are expendable and they will eventually treat you the same. You dont need me or anyone to make this right. You are doing a good job of destroying yourselves.

5. "Floor support supervisor: Manager in 60"

Current Employee - Floor Support Specialist
    Current Employee - Floor Support Specialist

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Team members are great people to work with

Cons

*Doesn't allow growth within the company unless in a certain click.

*The pay
    *30 minute lunches on Friday through Sunday.

Advice to Management

To have a successful team interact with your agents. Don't brush agents off to the help desk. Also be positive and learn each person on your shift.

6. "I don't feel valued"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fayetteville, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fayetteville, NC

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My team members are awesome.

Cons

You're not valued or appreciated. Especially if you don't make a lot of sales

7. "Rude Management"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Tampa, FL

I worked at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Working From Home
    -Getting Paid on time
    -Tech support can be reached.
    -Friendly agents
    -No weekends

Cons

-Management is very harassing and disrespectful, especially during the slow season.
    -Will not give raises.
    -Management will demand you call back rude customers and will nitpick every mistake an agent makes.

Advice to Management

-Management needs to be trained on the importance of respecting agents as real people and not allowing a title to get to their heads.
    -Management also needs to be aware that office politics has no position in the workplace.

8. ""Corporate Travel Agent""

Former Employee - Corporate Travel Agent in Sumter, SC
    Former Employee - Corporate Travel Agent in Sumter, SC

I worked at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are none. Really, I am not kidding...please run from this program.

Cons

Run, don't walk far away from this job opportunity. Prior to getting hired on here I worked for the US Government booking travel, using only Sabre (no GDS system). This place is not a real travel agent job, customers are able to book their own travel via the same GDS system that you will be using. Therefore, customers only call you because the GDS system is not working for them, they need their ticket exchange, or they have some other complaint. Very rarely will you be making reservations for customers, as stated they can do that on their own. Have to deal with angry customers because they were charged for a hotel stay by this company even though they cancelled within the contract cancellation policy, needless to say if you like angry, rude, inpatient customers this is the place for you.

Hopefully you know the travel industry inside and out, don't even think about making any mistakes. These people want robots, not humans to do their work. They expect 100% accuracy, same goes for customer service...even if you have an angry customer who gives you a bad review (they will blame you). When you make a mistake they will wait weeks to tell you about it, blame you, not show you where you made the mistake, and they don't try to get you some extra help to make sure you don't have anymore mistakes. Basically, this company sets you up to fail.

Advice to Management

Stopped showing favoritism and acting childish. Get extra training or help for those who need it.

9. "customer service agent"

I worked at SYKES full-time

Pros

This is not a good company to work for

Cons

this company is not a good company to work for

Advice to Management

do better

10. "Customer Service Rep"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Provo, UT

I have been working at SYKES part-time

Pros

I enjoyed the customers and being allowed to take time to relate to them in a compassionate way. This was important to the bank we were hired to provide service for.

Cons

Dishonest company. Checks late and incorrect. In the last two months, I recieved 2 of the 4 checks that I should have and these were late or missing hours. I have no choice but to quit. Because, in trying to resolve this, I have had nothing but run around between departments who don't appear to know what they are doing or care. There are some great people working here. And I have seen some great people fired over miniscule/ micromanagement reasons such as two tardies. This makes me wonder if they are just using reasons such as this to manage the number of employees estimated to be needed on the floor during any particular time frame. It is a very odd and unsupportive environment. My Team coach came right out the first day and said not to bother her. Well, I won't. However, I will quit. And move on to a company who cares.

Advice to Management

Value your employees as more than pawns in your call center chess game. Pay people on time and pay them a living and honest wage. Departments don't communicate with each other and there appears to be an awful lot of rudeness.

Showing 541 of 2,103 reviews