SYKES Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
SYKES President & CEO Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Pros
Cons
  • Back to back calls as a Customer Care Professional (in 21 reviews)

• I really feel the pay should be increased for at home customer service workers (in 42 reviews)

"It's not bad IT leadership, it's no IT leadership"

Former Employee - Random IT Person in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Random IT Person in Tampa, FL

Pros

- Decent benefits package
    - Lots of charitable work done by the company
    - Counter cyclical to a large degree, so even in a bad economy they should remain fairly stable

Cons

- Complete lack of direction from senior IT management
    - Latest re-org in IT is a farce
    - Penny wise, pound foolish is the rule - at least in IT
    - Different regions act largely independent, to the point of being rogue
    - The HR department as a whole is completely inept

Advice to Management

- Stop incorporating the failed, top-heavy management structure of ICT. There is a reason they were barely surviving before you purchased them.
    - Improve inter-department communications. There is way too much duplication of effort because no one knows what anyone else is doing.
    - The HR department - do something about it. It has a well deserved reputation for being horrible and completely useless, and it's been that way for years.

"My experience was terrible after training."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kingstree, SC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kingstree, SC

Pros

Excellent training program, fun days and morale boosts, continued training on new products and policies with client

Cons

Little opportunity for growth despite the sales pitch during orientation, unprofessional co-workers and management, inflexible schedule, nepotism, and inconsistent company policies

Advice to Management

Please start treating employees more like the people that they are and less like numbers and statistics. Please share more information with employees about the outlook of the company.

"Potential to be better!!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sumter, SC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sumter, SC

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The paycheck and hours are consistent, provided you come to work.

Cons

Management is clueless as to what the hell you have to deal with day in and day out 8 hours a day in the phone. The attendance/leave policy is something they they , make up as they go along. CSR's are undermined and under appreciated.

Advice to Management

get a clue, or get on the phone!

"Sykes gives WAH agents a bad name."

Current Contractor - Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Contractor - Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at SYKES as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Consistent pay with biweekly automatic deposits.

Cons

If your computer does not have the same drivers as their boot disc, oh well, it is up to you to get another computer that will work because they view this as your issue and not theirs.

Advice to Management

Upper Management needs to learn how to train and teach, not just managing with a verbal whip.

"I loved the work, but we were cheated by the company"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Eveleth, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Eveleth, MN

I worked at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work. Rewarding. I really enjoyed helping people with thier computers.

Cons

Our pay was shorted. We worked crazy schedules, and as soon as thier contract with the city was completed, they closed the doors.

Advice to Management

Stand behind your word.

"Work At Home Inconsistent, Poor Training, Lack of Support"

Current Employee - Work At Home Customer Support ATT in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Work At Home Customer Support ATT in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SYKES part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you need a fairly consistent paycheck, part time work to help pay bills and dont mind super self guided learning and you dont mind winging it in live phone situations then consider this company

Cons

Lets start with the hiring process. You get pressured into accepting a position with things like, "This wont wait" "Are you prepared to work with us" etc ad other tactics to make you feel its a perfect situation. The onboarding process is botched as much of the info you fill out may be lost byt the time you get to training. Typical urine test in 48 hours of receiving hire package.
    They just switched to USB based VPN (from dvds, and both are barely working) (which is like a WAH industry standard!). The ATT program specifically is way too complicated. My previous framework helped you follow a path to solutions and auto populated notes. With Sykes you have to use literally 7 programs, one for billing, one for services, one for technical, one for back up billing, contracts, mapping/service options etc.
    then the training itself (i believe because wah is new for sykes) is total bs. I trained for a month with my last company and was better prepared for the phones. We spend 6 weeks doing powerpoints that are a yawn at best and everything is very convoluted. I havent gone into nesting yet but I can already see I may be accepting another job soon or at least looking.
    The main issue I have is that the trainer and assistant trainer are nothing but talking heads, we get sent to IT (outside usa outsource) for the slightest things, no one has answers. (mainly because the main trainer is still in brick and morter and wont be wah until a month from now). She also has the audacity to get rude with us and talk to us like kids just because she doesnt know how to control a class room.
    Oh and please remember that unless you are sup/team lead/trainer or above "full time: isnt an option, although you may get 39 hours per week

Advice to Management

Now that Sykes has bought Alpine Access (not much better but at least they give off the illusion that they care, which they dont either, I think Apple Care might be the only positively approved wah option) you guys need to take heed to their comprehensive tools. Also compeltely revamp the training course and immulate Alpine Universities option within training to make it more motivating

"Horrible Culture"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

easy to get a job here

Cons

Do not value education, poor management on all levels.

Advice to Management

Change the culture or you will not keep good people, just below average employees

"Disorganized Company, Weak Systems, Impersonal Experience"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tampa, FL

I have been working at SYKES part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ability to work at home

Cons

Ineffective training that was too short and did not prepare us for work; trainers and floor support representatives who talked condescendingly to us, too much focus on one main "resource of information" when this resource is incomplete and not tailored for the types of calls that we get; imbalance of support reps to agents; insensitivity to needs of agents; constant "mandatory/voluntary" overtime.

Advice to Management

be more sensitive to the needs of your agents, as they are the face of your company. unhappy agents will make for bad customer service. choose quality over quantity. understand that they would not ask you questions if they had not checked their resources. become more of a team with your agents.

"Starts out great, but soon turns from great to terrible."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Amherst, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Amherst, NY

I have been working at SYKES part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, stable hours, health, vision, and dental benefits. Ability to change from one program to another. Tuition reimbursement, Leave of absences, FMLA participation.

Cons

Very little advancement opportunity, unflexible when familial issues come up, uncaring management, issues with massive favoritism when it does come to promotions

Advice to Management

Please be more careful when you're so obviously choosing your friends over those who are well-qualified for the positions. It's very disheartening to work there when you know you'll never be promoted just because you're not "in" with the managers and QA.

"Great People, But completely disorganized"

Former Employee - Provisioning Tech in Chavies, KY
    Former Employee - Provisioning Tech in Chavies, KY

I worked at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mostly professional people that work there.

Cons

Poor Pay, poor health benefits packages, inability to keep contracts.

Advice to Management

spend less time kissing butt, and more time on delivering what the client asked for.

Showing 292 of 1,592 reviews