SYKES Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
SYKES President & CEO Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Ability to work from home and committed to promoting from within (in 350 reviews)

• Great trainer and enjoyed the work environment (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Back to back calls can be exhausting, need more employees (in 25 reviews)

• I really feel the pay should be increased for at home customer service workers (in 50 reviews)

1. "Travel Agent"

Current Employee - Travel Agent in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Travel Agent in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home and work at home.

Cons

Training is a joke. The classes are too large for one person so people that need extra help don't get the help they need to be successful. They show you PowerPoint slides and ask students to read aloud on mic. The trainer was horrible at explaining things and she wasn't very articulate. After 2 weeks of training you go into what they call nesting for 2 weeks and you have a chat room filled with nesters and people who are already in production. There are not enough mentors to help everyone in there. Do you like being micromanaged?! Then, this is the place for you...even after you complete training you have to log in this chat room and after every call you have to type what you did for the customer. You have to tell them when and why your in after call, and when you go on your breaks. Training is 40 hours, but not st the regular pay. Then, after training and nesting you go up in pay but they don't give you 40 hours. Which they never mention during training, you log in to view your schedule and notice you only have 30 hours. Only get 10 min breaks and 30 min lunches. Lunch wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to log out because it takes forever to log in and out. You spend 10 min just logging in and out, all unpaid of course. Forget emailing your team leader for something because they don't email you back, your emails go unanswered. They tell you to do mandatory training but on your own time (unpaid) or during your shift between call (which is hard to accomplish). You barley use Sabre here, so if that's what your use to it will be hard to adjust. The program they use often won't load or gives you an error and when you report it in chat they ignore you. Very childish and immature people work here. The team leads and managers are rude.

Advice to Management

Get better trainers and team leads. Stop micromanaging. Give normal 15 min breaks. Tell people when they are hired that after training you will not get 40 hours a week. Need more team leads.

2. "Qboa Account"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Deland, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Deland, FL

I worked at SYKES full-time

Pros

If you like sitting on the phones for 9 hours with no help, this is the job for you. The coaches don't know nada so don't ask.

Cons

Your coaches don't know anything about Quick books so they can't help you. If you get a supervisor call they run and hide. I accidentally bled through my pants at work and I was forced to finish my shift. My coach just gave me her sweater to wrap around my waist. After that she told me I should be good I don't know how she thought that was okay. That was my last day I cannot work in a environment like that.

Advice to Management

Hire some people that knows the system so that it gives your phone reps some kind of support.

3. "Not Good!!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Montgomery, AL

I worked at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy job being that you talk on phone to customers. You can sit or stand, whatever is more comfortable.

Cons

Too many to list. Management is a joke. Most of the people who are managers just happened to get hired at the right time. Most managers are so unprofessional. And the company micro-manages everything so much they make it ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring anybody who walks in the door and actually put a little effort into who you hire. Also, make sure everyone has to follow through same rules.

4. "Sykes"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at SYKES (Less than a year)

Pros

Very difficult to think of anything

Cons

Very poorly run, however you get what you pay for

Advice to Management

I had a manager who had loads of experience, patience, knowledge etc. She won't last long there

5. "Do not believe anything you are told"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You work with good people

Cons

Management is out of touch with the people who work every day to support the company

Advice to Management

Stop lying.
    If you make a promise keep it.
    Give promotions.
    Higher your pay.
    Offer better incentives

6. "Gaming Specialist"

I worked at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros for working here

Cons

Management could care less about you. If you miss any time you get written up. If you improve and make one mistake you are fired.

Advice to Management

I think all the management should be fired and replaced with people that actually care.

"Save your soul do not work at Sykes the unfiltered truth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I have been working at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

we have a wonderful site director who has 5 PHD's, that has been promoted to head janitor, he was way to friendly, smart, and loyal he did not fit in with the rest of our leaders, they have no phd's and are to busy covering their own rearends to be loyal or caring.

Cons

Where to start, Senior Leadership is so busy trying to oust each other they do not realize their pawns are people. This extends all the way to the corporate level. They demand your soul yet can not fulfill simple promises or pay out your incentives in a timely fashion. We try to come to work with smiles and good attitudes, but it is hard to persevere when the focus is on the negative. Our TL's for the most part are pretty amazing unfortunately their bosses are always busy so if they do not know the answer it will take for ever to get help. No one truely listens they just pretend and I know this because nothing changes. They will throw another incentive at you that you may or may not get even if you earned it, yet they are unwilling to swallow their pride admit when they are wrong, work together or even just show you a little respect. We do not like to see our TL's cry in frustration, we do not like to see so many get fired, we do not like the culture of fear or your two faced mask you wear. Our leaders should set the example for the rest to follow, if we acted as poorly or rashly as the lot of you "Senior Mangers" we would already be fired. Before you talk LISTEN, before you react THINK, before you criticize WAIT. How can you possible be proud of what you do or or your actions. If you would like to fix our "problems" you need to fix yourself, because unfortunately for all of us that depend on Sykes Boise for our paycheck our biggest problems are not us and why people do not come to work, it's YOU!

Advice to Management

Grow up, be fair be reasonable, most of all come to work do your job and be NICE! Great job slapping our faces with our company motto that we do not follow, idea change our slogan to we ruin lives one uncaring interaction at a time, it is much more fitting to our true way of live.

8. "Mortgage consultant officer"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None I can't think of any

Cons

Management absolutely not in synch with us consultants. Long hours and no extra pay and cutting lunch breaks to 30 minutes and 10 hours shifts. Double standards when working for the companies they were outsourcing for example Macquarie Bank. They had better treatment by the Macquarie management compare to Sykes

Advice to Management

Look after your Sykes employees they are such hard workers and you take them for granted. So many unhappy workers

9. "Job is a joke"

Former Employee - Rogers Home Call Center in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Rogers Home Call Center in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good job to hold you off till you find a better job. Get that paid training.

Cons

Minimum wage higher ups that think they are really higher ups. They think that is a career move. Gotta act like you care for the job and laugh at how their apps are slow as molasses.

Advice to Management

We know we are a dime a dozen from day one. Nobody cares of you failing service levels.

"Real Talk"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Wise, VA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Wise, VA

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Schedule choices, fast paced, lot of opportunities for feedback and coaching, promotes from within, co-workers, attendance policies, OT opportunities, supportive management (if you're lucky).

Cons

Pay is the biggest con. You're not paid fairly for the hard work you have to do daily. It's not fair most management only makes a dollar more than a entry level agent. Upper management not being heavily involved with lower management and agents, more job support while on the production floor, better interviewing process that are a bit more selective, favoritism, micromanaging, terrible benefits.

Advice to Management

Listen to your agents and lower level management. We are the people who make or break you. While you sit in your offices making more money than we will see in years, thanks to us, we are fighting on the front lines. We at times crumble under the stress you place on us. We stick it out though because for the most part you pay our bills. You do not provide us a living wage. You service clients who are in the top 25 Fortune 500 compatibles while your agents and lower management are still having to struggle pay check to pay check. You claim so much money is there to be made but this is straight up dishonest. Stop acting like you care. Let's start proving it. Let's create a call center company based on merit, dignity, integrity, and honesty. If this was the case you would excel and would not have some of the highest turn over rates in the industry.

SYKES Response

Aug 18, 2017 – HR Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We're sorry your situation did not turn out as you had hoped it would. As a fast-growing company, we know our success is possible due to the many... More

Showing 450 of 1,799 reviews