SYKES Reviews | Glassdoor

SYKES Reviews

Updated February 19, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • No pay for amount of calls although many days calls were back to back resulting in 101 calls taken in 4 hours (in 19 reviews)

• I really feel the pay should be increased for at home customer service workers (in 39 reviews)

1. "Work from home"

I have been working at SYKES full-time

Pros

You get paid. Working from home.

Cons

I felt the training was good when training was over I felt prepared, not until I started taking calls so many things that were not covered. You are not allowed to put customers on hold. I truly felt lost when taking calls and when asking for help the wait was long and the answers where short and confusing. I have been in customer care all my life and have never had such a negative view in a company like this one. Trainer would say something then say another thing. Pay is super low a bit more than min wage. Also half the time I am not able to check my paystubs and schedules.

Advice to Management

Pay a little more attentions to the agents. Help them if they have questions

"Do not work for them"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ocala, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ocala, FL

I have been working at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

being able to make commission

Cons

I am on the Frontier Communication Project and it is bad. Do not accept a job with this company. They treat you bad. Training does not teach you what you need to know to start taking calls. Then customers are mad when they call in and cuss you out. Because the training is not good agents tell customers the wrong information. When customers ask for a supervisor they have to wait an hour to talk to one. While we are trying badly to resolve the issues and get the customer a supervisor we are being told they cannot have one. If an agent gives the customer the wrong information and tries to sign them up for a package they are not qualified for Frontier will not honor the price which makes the customer mad as the agent they are speaking with. They set up training sessions on our schedule and then you have no idea how to get to the training. When I have a coaching session scheduled with my team lead he never shows up for the meeting and he will not ever tell me it is cancelled. Coaches are mean and nasty to agents in chat rooms. But we are to keep control of our average handle time. My sister died in November and I emailed my team lead to see if I could get time off to go to the funeral and he never emailed me back. Not even an "I'm sorry your sister died".

Advice to Management

Training needs to be longer. When I was done with training I could not even finish an order properly. It took me months to figure this out. I still do not have access to the portals that I am suppose to use on a daily basis. I have been with Sykes for about 5-6 months and I just now got access to my frontier email. Now I have all these denied credit requests to call the customer back about I don't know why they were denied. I have requested to be moved to a new project because of the problems with this project and I have been denied. Another thing that could improve is that my schedule keeps changing. I work from 10-7 then it will change from 12-9. Why cant I have a set schedule?

3. "Social Media Specialist"

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You don't have to be on phones, and the position is pretty self explanatory. It's a great job for someone who likes to help people, but may have anxiety when talking to people over the phones.

Cons

The current Team Manager is remote managing from El Salvador, meaning the team has to manage themselves. The current manager is also off on weekends and difficult to contact, so if there's a network issue, we have to wait to see if he responds to our emails the following Monday.

You have to be capable of managing yourself. It is a lateral transition from phones, so you get paid as much as a phone agent... Yet you are expected to work like you're getting paid more.

Because the department is so small, if you have any interest in moving up to a position that is considered a "promotion" it is not recommended to apply for this position. There is no opportunity to grow with the company if you transfer to this department.

They have only recently added an incentive program for this department, despite having this department open since the sites launch.

Advice to Management

I'd recommend paying the team more for the work that they do, and also because they have so many issues that they have to just deal with because they don't have the managerial support that they should have.

5. "Used to be Great"

Former Employee - Fraud Analyst in Fort Smith, AR
    Former Employee - Fraud Analyst in Fort Smith, AR

I worked at SYKES (More than a year)

Pros

At the start of job the pay was great, work amount was fair, and management was great.

Cons

They stopped giving bonuses, work got harder, for lower pay.

"Not to live off of"

Pros

The people there help me get through my shift

Cons

The Pay. No raises. Too many changes. Never get your paid time off u want. Always have to make up time you miss. Always being threatened you gonna lose your job for basically any and everything

Advice to Management

Speak up more for agents

"Terrible"

I have been working at SYKES full-time

Pros

None blah blah blah Yada

Cons

Everything but getting a paycheck

"It's like a big high school...."

I worked at SYKES full-time

Pros

- They feed you when corporate comes
    - Above average starting pay ($9 starting out, $9.50 after 6 months)

Cons

- Mandatory overtime some days. (When the call volume is expected to be high, or when the new iPhone releases you will have mandatory overtime. Which means instead of a hour lunch you will have a 30 min lunch.)
    - "Petty" co-workers, and managers. If you have a question about a call, or a customer wants to speak to a manager they will usually try to avoid taking the call, or mutter something under their breath, because everyone hates working there.
    - You won't be properly trained to sell DirecTV service. (This job is DirecTV sales first, and customer service second. A majority of customers you speak to will already have DirecTV.)
    - They also caught people smoking weed, and having sex inside one of the bathrooms that's why they lock the front bathrooms after 6pm.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people who are just coming in for a paycheck, and how how to act professionally, and teach us better sales tactics for selling DirecTV.

"One of the worst professional experiences"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Grundy, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Grundy, VA

Pros

None I can think of

Cons

Irate customers, lack of training

Advice to Management

Institute a training program

"Don't waste your time"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Shreveport, LA

I worked at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home. Paid training.

Cons

Stressful. Stressful. No support. No help. Throw the team to the wolves. No knowledge to tell each customer. Training just prepares us to be walked all over when on production from every customer. No control when on a call.

"NO loyalty-was employed there til 2003"

Former Employee - Trainer in Klamath Falls, OR
    Former Employee - Trainer in Klamath Falls, OR

Pros

Excellent place to learn an industry. Ongoing education excellent. Fun atmosphere normally, with amazing people to work with daily.

Cons

Had our facility train techs in 3 other countries, then closed our site and took the work to those countries. Laid off 500 people in a town of 20,000. Town already financially depressed and isolated which is why they chose it to start. Low wages. Kicked us to the curb like trash to be able to pay even lower wages in other countries with even more depressed economies. No small time customers either. Intel, Apple, Disney, Adobe to name a few.

Advice to Management

Cut the greed and have some loyalty to the people that build your lines of business

Showing 382 of 1,506 reviews