SYKES Reviews | Glassdoor

SYKES Reviews

Updated July 21, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Ability to work from home and committed to promoting from within (in 344 reviews)

• Great trainer and enjoyed the work environment (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Back to back calls can be exhausting, need more employees (in 24 reviews)

• I really feel the pay should be increased for at home customer service workers (in 47 reviews)

1. "Worst Job I've Ever Had"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL

I worked at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people and the money

Cons

Offering home services or tablets on every call even if the customer just stated they can barely afford their bill. Not enough floor support. Most floor support is terrible, giving vague answers and walking away. Being asked why you have an escalation when you've been trying to get help from floor support for 15 minutes or more. It seems like floor support also expects you to know everything they know, even if you never learned it in training. Being written up for: not offering on every single call, drive-by offers, weak offers, offering one thing and not the other.

They also changed my hours three times since I started there. I told them I couldn't do it the last time because I have children. They told me "well you can sign a resignation form because this is what you signed up for"

Advice to Management

Fix yourselves

2. "They stole my vacation pay."

Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Fort Smith, AR
    Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Fort Smith, AR

I worked at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some nice people are there.

Cons

Management and administration that does not listen and can not be bothered by the employees. I had almost 80 hours vacation time saved up when I left the company and when I finally to paid (took a long time because they waited 9 days to put in the paperwork so I had to wait 4 weeks for it) it was only about $277 after taxes. They stole half of my vacation time. Also, due to an error, I was not reported at work one day. I told my manager about it and it took 6 weeks to get paid. Also, if you want to go anywhere, you better be good friends with management. Constantly promoting people without even posting the jobs or giving anyone else an opportunity to advance.

Advice to Management

Do your job and take care of the employees instead of acting like they are a burden.

"poor employer"

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Chavies, KY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Chavies, KY

I have been working at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

can't think of any positives

Cons

your will be treated as a number, they do not value employees, employees that have worked over 9 years are pulled from the day shift schedules they earned and put on evenings. Also, training is not sufficient and managers will do anything to avoid doing their job.

Advice to Management

treat your employees with respect, value those that have been with you for multiple years, especially since the turn over rate is so high

4. "Cust"

Current Employee - Cust Care in Morristown, TN
    Current Employee - Cust Care in Morristown, TN

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job is easy love to help customers

Cons

Stress unfair hostile all from management

Advice to Management

Respect people treat them as human being

"at home boiler room"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Provo, UT

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have never missed a check, On the client I work for I get to talk to older people for the most part.

Cons

I have been with the company over 5 years and I make $9.95 per hour yep i know I need find something better.

Advice to Management

You can catch more flies with honey than with a stick. The training is a joke you get put on the phone with the bare minimum of training and your expected to train your self on your own time...that is wrong.

"No Hours, No Pay, Poor Design"

Current Employee - CCP in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - CCP in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SYKES part-time (More than a year)

Pros

they send you a computer to work from. unfortunately the geniuses at IT block so many things on there you can't even use it to check your work hours or change your password (seriously.)

Cons

The entire company operates on poor management. At first I thought it was just in my program, but then when I was set to interview for a different program and was late because one of the interviewing managers didn't contact me properly, had to reschedule my interview for a different time. I have no clue how any of the managers or supervisors have gotten to their positions without corruption- the system is literally set against you from the beginning. When I began training, we lost almost half the team immediately. Then entire teams were let go after the holidays due to overstaffing, even though the job was not seasonal. And unless you can manage to support yourself on the BARE MINIMUM wage during training and then a pathetic $9 an hour after that, then don't waste your time. There are NO opportunities for advancement or pay raises, and heaven forbid you have an emergency, you get NO paid time off, and if you call out sick more than 18 hours (even with documentation) within a 180 day period, prepare to be fired.

Advice to Management

Scrap the entire bunch and start over. Raise the pay rate to at least be fair- every other work from home company TRAINS at your hourly rate. Seriously, you need to restructure the entire business and stop being a new hire mill.

"Was promoted but they refuse to give the pay of the position"

Former Employee - OMDA in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - OMDA in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I wish I could say there was I worked there for three months and was promoted to workforce management but that's where it stopped being great

Cons

After I was promoted I was refused the actual title and pay but they required me to work the position as an agent pay not to mention I would be yelled at for things I have yet to be trained on and no matter how many times I inquired about position and pay they would always push it back at the end of it they never increase my pay and never gave me or another newly-promoted colleague of mine the back pay of more then six month of workforce management but higher up management was more then glad to yell and question our work and ethics despite the fact we always told them that we didn't have access or training

Advice to Management

If you're promoted don't be the good Soldier be the rebel and make sure you let them know that you require your position and pay

8. "Worst Company to work for"

Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in West Chazy, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in West Chazy, NY

I worked at SYKES part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

About the only Pro is it is work from home

Cons

There are quiet a few cons about working for this company. The first and foremost is that when you email the account manager or any other part of the company they never respond back to you. You can request for a day off but there is no guarantee that they will give it to you off no matter why you are requesting it. They make you feel like you need to have your life revolve around them. I was a CCP for their Xbox Program and was released or terminated, how ever you look at it, for having excessive absenteeism. There were a few times that I had to call out because we had lost either power or internet here and I was unable to work. Another down fall with this company is that the pay sucks for the amount of work you have to do. this is just to name a few of the cons for working for Sykes-home.

Advice to Management

my advice to management would be to listen to your employees and show that you have some ounce of respect for them. if you do that, you might be able to keep employees working for you instead of loosing them because of your lack of respect for them.

9. "Bad Company"

Current Employee - Certified Trainer in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Certified Trainer in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are great there to work with

Cons

Pay doesn't match job requirements.

Advice to Management

Pay more.

"Slack Company"

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Kingstree, SC
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Kingstree, SC

I worked at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with people, Flexible hours

Cons

terrible pay for work, stupidly high expectations, no one cares.

SYKES Response

Jul 6, 2017 – HR Representative

Thanks for your feedback. It's unfortunate you didn't have a better experience. SYKES is proud of the many men and women providing exceptional service and setting the bar high in our industry. Our... More

Showing 445 of 1,750 reviews