SYKES Reviews | Glassdoor

SYKES Reviews

Updated July 19, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Ability to work from home and committed to promoting from within (in 339 reviews)

• Great trainer and enjoyed the work environment (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Back to back calls can be exhausting, need more employees (in 24 reviews)

• I really feel the pay should be increased for at home customer service workers (in 45 reviews)

1. "Customer Service Rep"

Current Employee - CSSR in Fayetteville, NC
    Current Employee - CSSR in Fayetteville, NC

I have been working at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good for people going to school, they will work with you about your school schedule

Cons

Not good for parents who have school age children, they dont tell you that you can be fired for not selling Direct TV

May 24, 2017 – HR Representative

We appreciate your feedback. Being flexible and willing to adjust is critical, not just for our employees and their work schedules, but also for our clients in helping them meet their goals. At... More

"Run run run far away"

Current Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Oppurtunity for extra money if you don't mind telling lies

Cons

If you have good morals and certain standards you will struggle with making sales at Sykes. The sales pitches are absolute lies! Your only promoted if they like you. Fast turnover rate

Advice to Management

Be more human. Stop with all the favorites which causes people to quit after left no choice.

May 19, 2017 – HR Representative

We're sorry to hear your experience was not what you expected. At SYKES, our core values are rooted in integrity and we take great pride in offering professional sales support based on best... More

"Revolving Door"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sumter, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sumter, SC

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

For agents, the starting pay is decent for an entry-level job.
    Benefits are good (although getting worse year by year)
    Low requirements.

Cons

Inept management -- training for managers is basically nonexistent.
    Limited advancement opportunity -- advancement is not based on merit or performance as much as personal recommendation. Most positions are 'interim' roles, which means doing all the work without any pay or title increase, for months or in some cases, longer than two years. In addition, Sykes frequently hires for vital roles from outside the company, in many cases people who aren't qualified but are connected.
    Inconsistent treatment from manager to manager. Under some managers, you can do no wrong, and under different managers, you can do nothing right. There's no consistency in what's grounds for write-ups and termination.
    Lack of ethics. Upper management is predominantly concerned with how to 'paint the right picture' rather than resolve challenges. More time is spent trying to hide problems than fix them.

Advice to Management

Offer sufficient training to your managers, enforce consistency in the treatment of your agents, and pay attention to merit and skill more than who you enjoy speaking with.
    If something is wrong, own up to it, but fix it so that it doesn't happen again. Don't hide it from the Client, then continue having the same problem month over month.

May 5, 2017 – HR Representative

We appreciate your straightforward feedback. It's important for us to see your comments. We recognize that training is a critical component of success at all levels, especially among management, and... More

"Don't bother"

Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Buffalo, NY

Pros

The best part really was that I got to work from the comfort of my own home. The job wasn't too complicated.

Cons

The cons just about everything else. The pay is lousy and no good benefits. The hours sucked and it was hard to get time off for anything.

Advice to Management

Management needs a better system for communicating with them. Training could have been a little better as well. Goals could be a little more realistic.

5. "Good pay, stressful environment."

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Sumter, SC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Sumter, SC

I have been working at SYKES full-time

Pros

Talking to different customers. Decent pay. Friendly employees.

Cons

I wish training was longer or at least gave us more experience on the phones before going into production because once I was placed on the floor I felt alone and as if no one wanted to help me when I really needed it.

Advice to Management

Be more willing to help the new employees

"Pays minimum for wah. Management not the greatesy"

Former Employee - Tier II in Manchester, KY
    Former Employee - Tier II in Manchester, KY

I worked at SYKES (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's work at home job, so that's nice. However the pay is far below most wah jobs. I work for a company now and I earn more working 25 hours a week than I did working 40 at Sykes.

Cons

Most of the people I worked with were incompetent. The training can be severely lacking in needed information. There is a problem with favoritism in some programs. The acct manager became partial to 4 employees that got away with missing their shifts and making errors that they should have been written up for but weren't. It was an okay beginner remote position but you can find other companies with more professionalism where the starting pay is at least $3 more an hour to start.

Advice to Management

Ensure the trainers can competently train for the positions and everyone should be held to the same standards regarding performance and being written up for serious violations of conduct.

Apr 26, 2017 – HR Representative

Thank you for providing these important insights. We regret that you did not experience the fair and positive management practices that represent our high standards. We do encourage open, honest... More

"Customer Service Rep (In Training)"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Clermont, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Clermont, FL

I worked at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work from home opportunity. Enjoyed working with the customers.

Cons

Training was poor. Unorganized. Not well thought out by our individual instructor. The adobe room worked out nicely, but instruction was very rushed and inconsistent. We were thrown out to answer REAL calls before we were ready. High pressure. I was fired instantly while still in training when I gave out a digit or two of someone's telephone #. Very cut throat.

Advice to Management

Hire better trainers. Many seemed very young & immature. Zero tolerance, which is their policy, should not apply to first honest mistake while in training. That's what is part of training..."learning from your mistakes." The expectations of new employees were very high considering the poor training my class received.

Apr 26, 2017 – HR Representative

We appreciate you sharing this experience, and are always working to improve our on-boarding systems across the company. While the requirements for some business units have stringent legal... More

"one of the worst places ive ever worked"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Omaha, NE

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

work at home. the other employees are just as beat up as you are so you know your not crazy. umm no money on gas

Cons

where to start wow barley any training, thrown out on the floor with very little help if any in a sink or swim fashion. they raise the bar every single day so that it is impossible to reach so you will be easy to fire no matter who you are. ex: they sent out new employee handbooks on 12/19 we are not allowed to do anything but be on the phone for a min or your pay is docked so you don't even have a chance to look at emails,( with only being able to clock into the irk 7 min b4 shift and the Avaya 3 min before or you are bumped off the system) they told us we had to look at the handbook that day and sign that we got it. with that being said it so happens that most people had to sign it without being able to read it. on the 22nd without the employees knowing management had a meeting and decided who was going to be fired and signed the papers to do so. also unknown to employees sykes added things to the HB that gave them the power to fire anyone for call avoidant and basically if you had to put a note on an account or scratch your head and your sales were not high enough. you where fired.. but not on the 22nd when the papers where signed on the 29th after thanksgiving had passed. and "the so called team environment"? the coach that you worked with and trusted held them papers all week and let you work for them till the holiday passed and fired everyone without notice weeks before Christmas. now they continue to raise the bar with all of us doing the supervisors work doing every aspect of the job wile we are told every day they are on our calls and can see our screens. the amount of calls you take has to increase the sales have to increase everything we all know that we could be fired at anytime. they change your schedule when they want to they dock your pay for everything the new so called "hand book" basically says that anything can be considered call avoiding and you can be fired for that without notice. that is what the truth is about what its like to work for sykes...

Advice to Management

the people you work with are just that "people" with family's and bills. how can you sleep at night? if you wont have loyalty to your team how can you expect it from them?

Apr 26, 2017 – HR Representative

Thank you. Your candid feedback is important for the management team to hear. We are continually striving to upgrade systems and refine management practices to support and empower our work-from-home... More

9. "Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at SYKES (More than a year)

Pros

No experience needed, 1 hour lunch breaks

Cons

Low pay, no organization, need better management

Advice to Management

Raise pay

Feb 9, 2017 – HR Representative

We appreciate you taking the time to rate SYKES. We apologize that your employment with us was not our usual high-level of care for our employees. We wish you the very best in all of your future... More

10. "Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Milton-Freewater, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Milton-Freewater, OR

I worked at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good hours and they worked with me on it.

Cons

Low wages not control at the local level

Advice to Management

Better wages

Showing 314 of 1,749 reviews