SYKES Reviews | Glassdoor

2,007 reviews

Full-timePart-time

2,007 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Ability to work from home and committed to promoting from within (in 387 reviews)

• Best benefit is a happy work environment (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Back to back calls can be exhausting, need more employees (in 29 reviews)

• I really feel the pay should be increased for at home customer service workers (in 53 reviews)

"Needs to provide better for employees"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL

I worked at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interview process was easy. Met great people.

Cons

The punishments FAR OUT-WAY the incentives. The point system is extreme. Seemed as if they enjoyed the high turnover for agents. No unpaid time off. No sick days. If you fell ill and were out a few days, you could loose your job.

Advice to Management

Provide more positive incentives for agents.

"SYKES is doing all the WRONG things"

Current Employee - Corporate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Corporate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

SYKES has great potential to be the largest call center BPO out there with premiere clients. They have great international teams and some highly tenured employees. The working environments are nice.

Cons

After the acquisition/merger with Alpine Access SYKES very quickly went from being a family oriented business, to one that thinks of employees last. The newest organization structure has Alpine Access running the show.

Just prior to buying Alpine Access SYKES was a 1.2-1.4B business with 40,000 + employees worldwide. Alpine was purchased for in the ball park of 150M (over-priced), they only service at home agents with an employee base of 1,500-5,000 (in peak times). WHY in the world would Chuck Sykes and the rest of the C level team think it was a good idea to turn the company over to Alpine. Alpine has limited to no experience in the brick and mortar BPO space. They are exclusively work from home! Does SYKES really think that there major clients are all going to agree to use work from home agents exclusively? Bad proposition.

It seems that SYKES is putting all it's eggs in the Alpine Access basket. Alpine's management team is green. SYKES fails to recognize the years of service and call center experience on their own team. Chuck Sykes has turned his back on employees that have helped him amass a nice fortune from a business that started relatively small and sold out to a bunch of renegades that are promising the moon, but to date have delivered NOTHING.

The SYKES and Alpine acquisition has been a running joke. Sykes employees are simply waiting to get laid off so that their jobs can be taken over by Alpine Access employees with less tenure, less experience, and no call center perspective.

Everyone that I know who currently works for SYKES is looking for a job elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Stop alienating your loyal employees.

"Current Employees Leaving or Looking"

Current Employee - Corporate Anonymous in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Corporate Anonymous in Tampa, FL

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sykes is a publically traded BPO provider with a large diversified client base. They have made call centers their bread and butter and have been very successful at delivering good services to a multitude of clients across many verticals.

Cons

Up until 2 years ago SYKES was one of the best places I have ever worked hands down. Since then it has become the worst place to work without a doubt. Employees are so uncertain about the future. Communication gaps are as large as the east is from the west. Senior management hunkers down and makes decisions without input from the daily operators. People are being laid off left and right. One day you will be talking to your manager on the phone and the next day they are gone, but no one bothers to tell you. In addition no one tells you who you report to now, or who will be handling your former managers tasks. In my case, my manager's tasks were given to me with very little guidance or direction.

Alpine Access employees all kept their jobs after the merger. They have no clue how to run a brick and mortar call center business. We are not allowed to speak our minds about anything anymore without fear of termination.

It is so sad to see the company I loved for years treat employees so poorly!

Advice to Management

Alpine Access employees are not the only ones who can contribute. Don't forget about us long standing employees who have stood behind you!

"Sykes At Home Wouldn't Know Ethics if the College Text Book Fell on Their Heads"

I worked at SYKES part-time

Pros

NONE

**Please note that these remarks are in reference to Sykes At Home only and do not reflect on Sykes brick and mortar operations. Sykes at Home is run separately by Alpine Access which was purchased by Sykes.

Cons

* Poor pay, even poorer moral

* Mid Management only has interest in promoting their friends and girlfriends regardless of qualification or in most cases, lack there of.

* Openings in mid management are never even posted, so don't even kid yourself that you'll get your shot or be evaluated in any way

* If you ask your managers how to improve and how to move up, they will ignore you entirely unless you happen to be one of those girlfriends or pals I mentioned before

* HR tries to fix the issues but is useless as offending Mid Management is never punished and even allowed to blatantly retaliate against any complainers

* When the company wants to look better for investors and clients without doing any of the work to actually improve performance, they will artificially inflate their performance numbers by simply firing all the lower performing agents even if some of those agents are brand new and only low performers due to lack of training and experience. They will also not take into account long term performance so even if you're a great agent but happen to have a bad month or two when they pulled numbers for layoff, you're out. This is something that is done periodically so working as an Agent at Sykes at Home means being in constant fear of termination.

* Lower Management is paid 30% below market so work for any other company in the industry and you'll make quite a bit more. Example: The highest paid Team Leaders here makes 30K but Team Leaders for companies in even some of the lower paying states make at least 45K, some making up to 60K plus bonuses

Advice to Management

Fire everyone in Mid to Upper Management at Alpine and start over with the possible exception of HR. It is my understanding that HR has tried to fix these issues, but has not been given enough authority to do so. There is so much palling around going on in Alpine that even if you report issues to the very top, nothing is done. If you don't you will continue to lose your high performing talent as they are overlooked to promote friends and what you'll be left with is a bunch of under qualified people running your company into the ground.

"You will quit just as fast as you were hired, stay away"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kingstree, SC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kingstree, SC

I worked at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co workers are really nice and by co workers I strictly mean the other reps

Cons

Unprofessional team leaders, RSD's, supervisors (trainers)

Advice to Management

Management should be a little more involved in what's going on inside sykes all centers!! You will loose your contracts because of the issue! When you are in training this company literally feeds you to the sharks, what do I mean? They place you on the phones and refuse to help you take calls! They never payout when you make sales and they talk to lower level employees as if they are nothing. If you have a issue that you are unable to dolce they will literally leave you hanging on the call. They are unwelcoming, no benefits. And beware of HR, they are the nasty ppl you will ever do business with. If you need a job that bad I advise anyone to settle for McDonald's than work here!

"Poor Account Management"

Former Employee - Customer Care Professional, Flex Coach, QA in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Care Professional, Flex Coach, QA in Denver, CO

I worked at SYKES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home
    Basic benefit program

Cons

Pay is extremely poor
    Management has no idea how to improve call metrics, they are based on a flat rate rather than recognizing the proficient agents who actually have top metrics
    Even though I was a top sales agent, consistently placing in the top 5 out of 500 agents I was fired because I didn't "bridge" on 4 calls, what they fail to realize is that it doesn't take up selling to be a good sales person otherwise why would I place in the top 5 every quarter

Advice to Management

I advise the CEO to get rid of all the current account managers and have them replaced with quality people who actually care about improving call center metrics with a fair system of recognizing agents who excel rather than punishing the entire overall body of front line call center workers with stupid demands like asking for permission to transfer, placing budgets on discretionary adjustments, punishing for legitimate transfers to management and customer relations, paying more commissions to those who excel in their call metrics, etc.

"Corruption, illegal practices, and class action lawsuits are this company's claim to fame."

Pros

There are no pros for working in this toxic environment, not even mediocre pay.

Cons

Class action lawsuit currently in place accusing Sykes at Home for not paying staff for time worked - Accusations are absolutely true. Set up and tear down time is unpaid and technical issues that are the fault of the company's systems are also often unpaid. Disciplinary action is even taken out against staff with tech issues regardless of weather the tech issue was the fault of the home computer or the company's systems.

HR is Useless - Complaints to HR go addressed and upper management is permitted to do whatever they want whenever they want regardless of legality, including: hiring and firing based on sexual relationships with subordinates, not paying staff for tech time and other hours worked, arbitrary layoffs designed to pad production numbers, retaliation for complaining to HR to the point of wrongful termination etc. The list goes on.

I myself am calling labor review boards, media sources and lawyers to see about starting another class action against these guys. The way they treat people has to be stopped. If companies are allowed to behave the way Sykes at Home does, we're going to have a real problem economically in the years to come.

Advice to Management

Find Jesus, or Muhammad or really any form of moral compass or your company will go down in a flood of lawsuits.

"SYKES has SOLD OUT to ALPINE ACCESS"

I worked at SYKES full-time

Pros

You get paid on time. The people at the supervisor and manager level are kind and friendly. The corporate office is in Tampa, FL.

Cons

People mean nothing to SYKES. After acquiring Alpine Access SYKES immediately went from being a family, employee friendly environment, to a cut throat, underhanded environment. Long time employees who have supported Chuck Sykes and his vision have been tossed aside.

Alpine Access has taken over. It is only a matter of time before no former SYKES employees exist. SYKES has taken a constructive discharge approach to all of their former SYKES employees, making the environment so difficult to work in that people either quit or just go numb.

This disgusting acquisition has left SYKES employees with no voice, no value, no appreciation! The Alpine team is a young, inexperienced team and they are in way over their heads.

Quite a tragedy. DO NOT GO TO WORK FOR THIS COMPANY! They are looking to automate everything and outsource the rest.

Advice to Management

It is too late for advice, the ship is almost all the way under water.

"Computers and people overseas are taking all the jobs"

Pros

This is a tough category. The benefits are decent and I have some friends at SYKES, but that is all I can think of from a positive perspective.

Cons

SYKES has decided to take a bunch of jobs and send them to their employees in the Philippines.

Imagine applying for a job in the US, but never speaking to a live person. Yes, this is the NEW Sykes. Sykes has decided that it is better to build a computer system that through a series of questions will pick the best candidates for the job, without a person ever reviewing a resume or speaking to a candidate! It is only a matter of time before Sykes clients, who do business in financial services, healthcare and telecommunications find out and drop Sykes like a hot rock.

If I owned a company that was outsourcing my customer service and I found out that the company I had hired to represent me wasn't even taking the time or energy to interview candidates I would move my business elsewhere. Sykes claims to be an employee centered, or family business. Does firing tenured employees to replace them with unskilled labor off shore sound like the actions of a family, employee centered business? You should know that while Sykes attempts to use computers to pick employees they are also off shoring their recruiting and other functions.

Good people are losing jobs in the US because Sykes continues to see people as unneccesary to the business. Many of the people have stood by the Sykes family/organization through thick and thin. It is truly a kick in the teeth.

Advice to Management

Speak up when things don't seem right.

"Terrible Leadership, Terrible Decisions, Terrible Communication"

Current Employee - Corporate Office Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Corporate Office Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I am so disappointed with this company I am grasping to find any pros. My friends and co-workers make it tolerable and I get a paycheck every couple of weeks.

Cons

I work at our corporate office, but have very strong ties to the field. Everyday I see first hand the disconnection between those that are running the operation and those that are doing the work in the sites. Our executive team, along with senior management is so blind right now. Everyone, and I mean everyone at my level is scratching their heads trying to figure out what happened to Chuck Sykes (CEO), Jenna Nelson (SVP, HR) and the rest of the C-level leadership. We used to have an open forum for communicating and our opinions about the business mattered. Now, we are told, "Do what you are told." The culture is this - If you have an opinion about something, keep it to yourself or you may just be the next to go.

I would have never thought that Sykes would end up in such a mess. After a co-worker turned me onto Glassdoor I sat staring at the reviews and found out that I am not the only one who feels this way.

Anyone considering a job at Sykes should go in knowing the following things:

1. The numbers of negative reviews are worth the read and very much true. I agree with 100% of what has been said about the acquisition to Alpine Access and the changes that are happening because of the acquisition.

2. Sykes says they want change and they will woo you with the change management speel. Do not buy it. If you try to bring about change you will be let go.

3. Sykes is a large company with a lot of politics. If you schmooze the right people you will have a job no matter how much you do or don't do.

4. Sykes leadership team is out of touch with the call center world.

5. Sykes has turned over the reigns to Alpine Access and is letting them run rough shot over all employees.

6. Sykes will expect you to spend your own money on business expenses and then get reimbursed (the typically reimburse within 7 days)

7. Sykes will break their promises to you.

Advice to Management

Read the glassdoor reviews!

Showing 2,007 of 2,041 reviews