SYKES Reviews | Glassdoor

1,664 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,664 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Sometimes your calls can be back to back all day long (in 22 reviews)

• I really feel the pay should be increased for at home customer service workers (in 44 reviews)

1. "Fast Times At Sykes High"

Current Employee - Retention Agent in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Retention Agent in Eugene, OR

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid and Highly motivated training. Benefits offered and affordable. Kind people to work among.

Cons

High Volume of calls from very upset and ticked off people.

Advice to Management

Nothing, very fun and friendly atmosphere.

"Sounds Better than it is"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Working from home
    Portable if you move from one location to another
    Will pay you hourly not per call
    Has room for advancement

Cons

Training is iffy; spent a lot of training hours listening to trainers fixing other students problems--some people did not receive equipment or passwords in a timely fashion
    Promised 20-30 hours per week--actually received 13-15 (except between Thanksgiving and Christmas) but you were still required to be available to them 42 1/2 per week making it difficult to get a second job
    "Support" consisted of typing questions into a chat room window and hoping someone saw the question, read it properly and answered it correctly. Support reps often couldn't answer questions so you were supposed to tell customers to go to dot com or that the issue was "still being researched" inadequate answers that left customers frustrated and you on the receiving end of this frustration. There was also some sort of online support document that was difficult to search.
    Software was out of date. Soft phone was problematic and often went down and dropped calls
    One of the worst jobs I've ever had. Worked seasonal for Hallmark and was then offered a job for Frontier Communications which has some of the worst customer service reviews I've ever read. Gave up on this company and moved on.

Advice to Management

Offer adequate training to your employees and make sure your support reps are able to not so overwhelmed that they cannot answer questions properly. Make your hiring process less like an assembly line

3. "Customer service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rome, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rome, GA

I worked at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice coworkers. Schedule flexibility

Cons

I was told by a supervisor to lie to a customer

Advice to Management

Never encoursge dishonesty

"Some Good Some Bad Lots of Misleads"

Current Employee - Csr1 in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Csr1 in Remote, OR

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Insurance- But, it's expensive
    2. 401k its like pulling teeth to find out about it.
    3. Work From Home
    4. Sykes Help Desk is amazing
    5. Most people here are nice

Cons

1. LIES LIES and MORE LIES
    2. Believe nothing. Understand you are going in there with a schedule for training that will change at any moment.
    3. Understand that some of the trainers are great and some are psychos.
    4. Understand that they will throw you under the bus for their accounts.
    5. Understand they will say one thing and mean something different.
    6. Understand you will be under paid for the work you perform
    7. The equipment is shotty
    8. Lots of technical issues within the accounts software.
    9. Once you get into Nesting forget most of what you learned because someone will tell you it is wrong.
    10. They schedule your breaks and lunch and you get them at odd times.
    11. Some of the accounts have crappy shifts you have to commit to for 6 months.

Advice to Management

Represent the job descriptions better. Be honest. If you say nesting starts on a certain date don't start it early because you are trying to push someone on the floor. If people need logins don't give them to them the day their suppose to go on the floor. They are not going to understand the software. It is simply not enough time. And although I'm still working here. I'm currently seeking other employment.

5. "Worst Job I've Ever Had"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL

I worked at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people and the money

Cons

Offering home services or tablets on every call even if the customer just stated they can barely afford their bill. Not enough floor support. Most floor support is terrible, giving vague answers and walking away. Being asked why you have an escalation when you've been trying to get help from floor support for 15 minutes or more. It seems like floor support also expects you to know everything they know, even if you never learned it in training. Being written up for: not offering on every single call, drive-by offers, weak offers, offering one thing and not the other.

They also changed my hours three times since I started there. I told them I couldn't do it the last time because I have children. They told me "well you can sign a resignation form because this is what you signed up for"

Advice to Management

Fix yourselves

6. "Customer service"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I have been working at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people. Benefits, hr willing to work on any kind of situation

Cons

1/2 hour lunch, not much variety to choose or bring your own

Advice to Management

Listen to team leaders more

7. "Plenty of assistance given in the operation of duties as customer service agent"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Lakeland, FL

I worked at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Provided excellent paid training and plenty of help while on the job. Able to work a 4 day work week.

Cons

Hours are usually to 11:30 or 12 midnight and takes some getting used to.

Advice to Management

No advice needed. Business is operated professionally.

"High Pressure Atmosphere"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Malvern, AR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Malvern, AR

I worked at SYKES full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The tasks of the job are not physically demanding and the environment in which they are preferred is reasonably comfortable.

Cons

Lack of employee development and minimal advancement opportunities, unrealistic expectations from senior management and corporate leaders, extremely high pressure to conduct transactions and sell products without sufficient time or resources allocated for the tasks. Questionable morality in trying to use high pressure sales techniques to manipulate customers into purchasing additional products and services regardless of the circumstances

Advice to Management

Have more integrity, invest more in your employees, instead of worrying about your own bonuses, restore agent level opportunities for anual merit based pay raises that have been frozen for over 5 years. Have more respect for the backbone of your organization your frontline employees.

9. "They stole my vacation pay."

Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Fort Smith, AR
    Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Fort Smith, AR

I worked at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some nice people are there.

Cons

Management and administration that does not listen and can not be bothered by the employees. I had almost 80 hours vacation time saved up when I left the company and when I finally to paid (took a long time because they waited 9 days to put in the paperwork so I had to wait 4 weeks for it) it was only about $277 after taxes. They stole half of my vacation time. Also, due to an error, I was not reported at work one day. I told my manager about it and it took 6 weeks to get paid. Also, if you want to go anywhere, you better be good friends with management. Constantly promoting people without even posting the jobs or giving anyone else an opportunity to advance.

Advice to Management

Do your job and take care of the employees instead of acting like they are a burden.

"poor employer"

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Chavies, KY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Chavies, KY

I have been working at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

can't think of any positives

Cons

your will be treated as a number, they do not value employees, employees that have worked over 9 years are pulled from the day shift schedules they earned and put on evenings. Also, training is not sufficient and managers will do anything to avoid doing their job.

Advice to Management

treat your employees with respect, value those that have been with you for multiple years, especially since the turn over rate is so high

Showing 1,664 of 1,688 reviews