SYKES Reviews | Glassdoor

1,825 reviews

Full-timePart-time

1,825 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Ability to work from home and committed to promoting from within (in 360 reviews)

• Best benefit is a happy work environment (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • Back to back calls can be exhausting, need more employees (in 26 reviews)

• I really feel the pay should be increased for at home customer service workers (in 51 reviews)

1. "Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - CSR-1 in Sumter, SC
    Former Employee - CSR-1 in Sumter, SC

I worked at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sitting down all day, breaks, snack machine

Cons

Disrespectful customers, long hours, managers don't care about you.

Advice to Management

Get it together

2. "Team Leads Do Not help"

Former Employee - Residential Billing Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Residential Billing Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SYKES (Less than a year)

Pros

Training was awesome, Customers were nice most of the time, Pay was descent

Cons

Pushed way to hard to sale things customers did not need, Was not told that your concentration should be sales instead billing and adjustments and worked from 12:30-10:30 Tues-Sat no life

Advice to Management

Train your Team leads to manage, Your Coaches and Supervisors are mean and barely try to help the act they dont want to help they yell at you talk to you crazy.

3. "Customer service advocates position"

I have been working at SYKES part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work at home is good

Cons

Low pay for the support

4. "Customer Service Representative"

I have been working at SYKES full-time

Pros

Fun office environment, good training.

Cons

Management doesn't listen very often

Advice to Management

Be more proactive with your employees.

"Customer Service/Sales"

Pros

Paid FT Training, benefits, bonus structure rewards driven individuals.

Cons

Lack of ethics in dealing with customers, unrealistic bonus/salary structure, dishonest with customers just to make the sale, no support once training is complete.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach! You say the customer is important, but you treat them like a paycheck, don't resolve their issues, mislead them into purchases that don't benefit them. There need to be a moral backbone in place, and actual care for customers, with rewards for resolution not just payouts.

6. "Customer service representative"

I have been working at SYKES full-time

Pros

Flexiable schedules with thier employees

Cons

Training and help with issues are not always helpful

7. "Loved the last client"

Former Employee - Health Enthusiast in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Health Enthusiast in Savannah, GA

I worked at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked from home,no special clothing, no commute, a day off during the week, able to swap or pick up schedules.

Cons

Working 9-2 then 4-9, then back at 9 again. Schedules were put out only a week in advance, hard to make other appointments

8. "Great Place To work If you play ball"

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home opportunity. I had good training but everyone does not. Good Support. I don't have to pay for a sitter. I have Fridays And Saturdays off

Cons

They play favorites a lot and if you are not a favorite, you will not get many advancement opportunities. I started with a pretty new client 2 years ago. They will give you false sense of entitlement and will not pay you, and when you don't want to play ball.. they will try and fire you or suspend you. Turnover is high. All the people who started with me are gone. Pay is low! Not a living wage by far. Best for a stay at home mom, or disabled, or retire person for work from home

Advice to Management

Don't Play Favorites and Pay People what they are worth. Just Because I work from home doesn't mean I don't have bills! Keep promoting from within and adding clients that share your great ethics because my client is unbearable!!! Thank you

SYKES Response

Aug 30, 2017 – HR Representative

Thank you for the positive ratings and candid feedback. We understand your concerns, and are committed to providing a positive, supportive environment where you can grow. At SYKES, we work very hard... More

9. "it ok in a pinch"

Pros

great job but could use improvment

Cons

lack of communication in company

"Sykes Home won't give me my paystub!"

Former Employee - Customer Care in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Care in Denver, CO

I worked at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Legitimate and real company. The interview is at home. You work from home which means no annoying office politics or annoying coworkers. Peace and quiet in my home and no commute. Your paycheck is accurate, on time, and reliable. They have direct deposit. There are health insurance benefits and a 401k. They match 401k contributions.

Kind, understanding, and knowledgeable instructor for training. They are always hiring. All of the training is at home.

They provided computer and a switch box so you can use your own monitor with their computer and not have to buy a separate monitor, but as I understood it, that is not always provided and depends on the job.

Plenty of work life balance since you're at home. It's totally up to you.
     Adequate tech support for agents if you need it but you really need to try fixing it yourself first because you will waste too much time with tech support and their long wait times. Don't call unless you really need to. Most issues can be solved by logging out then back in. Follow your training instructions and all the rules and you will be fine.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. I have worked for them twice and they never mind answering questions. Remember training is your chance to learn. Do not wait until you are actually taking calls and are clueless because that is worse!

They will let you know what kind of phone you need. Make sure you are clear on that. This job allowed phone service through my Internet provider but not all work at home companies allow that. Some still request an old fashioned POTS line, which by the way is very expensive to install or repair, but for your information, POTS lines with copper wiring in the wall-the wall not your router or computer still exist.

I can't comment on senior management because I don't know who they are. My direct supervisors were very good both times that I worked here.

Cons

Low pay.The pay is minimum wage for your state until after you finish your training.
    Your pay stub is only available for 90 days after you leave the company.
    There are health benefits but they are expensive.

Lots of tech issues during training on Sykes Home's end not mine. None of these issues were resolved while I was there. But the teacher did his best to work around the issues. I got tired of all the tech issues and left.

Having noise in the background is not allowed so forget having kids in the room if you don't have a sitter. Ditch your dog too. All of the jobs involve customer service, talking on the phone, and sometimes sales. You provide phone, phone service and headset and monitor and high speed internet. They don't provide those things, no bonuses or equipment reimbursement. But to be fair, bonuses and reimbursements are extremely rare in work at home jobs.

I can't comment on the culture, because I'm at home. And I don't really feel it was emphasized during training. I am an introvert and love to be alone,but if you don't ,then don't work from home.

You can move up in the company but I found the rules were pretty strict and Sykes, correct me if I'm wrong, but there seems no way to avoid those pesky calls. So if you're burned out on customer service, and working from home for low pay and hate talking on the phone, like I became this last time with Sykes, Don't work at home!

This is not a career, it's just a low pay, dead end job for desperate people who can't get a babysitter or a job any other way for various reasons. There are lots of older retirees working there, parents, caregivers with elderly parents and people who can't get out of the house for whatever reason.

The people who work there no matter their situation still need a living wage. This is the second time I have worked for Sykes and I have had enough. I quit working for them and any other work at home company. They're all the same. Don't work there unless you can't get a job any other way.

Advice to Management

Please stop playing games with the pay stub. I need them for social services. I'm getting the runaround! I followed all directions: I did email HR, and call the support center, but the support center said that because my account is deactivated they can't help me. I also emailed HR support twice. They keep saying the same thing over and over again. I have begged them to just please give me the paystub. Don't they have it? Why is the account deactivated before the 90 days are up? It's only been three weeks and for three weeks, I have been trying to get that paystub! And why only 90 days? I've worked for other companies that keep those pay stubs for 2-3 years. This happened the last time I worked for Sykes. I never got the paystub, but I did get my W2 at the end of the year. I won't be coming back to Sykes because of the tech issues during training and what I call the pay stub games!

SYKES Response

Sep 12, 2017 – HR Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns. We're sorry for the slow pace in response to your paystub request. As a large company with thousands of employees around the world, we work as... More

Showing 1,825 of 1,853 reviews