SYKES Technical Support Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
SYKES President & CEO Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Ability to work from home and committed to promoting from within (in 379 reviews)

• Best benefit is a happy work environment (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Back to back calls can be exhausting, need more employees (in 29 reviews)

• I really feel the pay should be increased for at home customer service workers (in 52 reviews)

"Good people, Fairly easy, Great job overall!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent, Technical Support in Albany, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent, Technical Support in Albany, GA

Pros

Competitive pay, work from home, team-oriented, you're always recognized for doing well, supervisors and trainers always available to help, paid training, amazing people, fairly relaxed environment, overtime opportunity, benefits offered

Cons

Minimum wage during some training, benefits are VERY expensive, hard to work during hurricane season (in the southeast) because of power outages, sometimes boring especially when it's slow

Advice to Management

The only advice I have for management is to try and allocate more time to individual people rather than addressing the whole 200 person department at once. I know you guys are very busy, but it would really mean a lot if you could offer more individual attention. All of your trainers and middle managers are fabulous and wonderful and I love every single one of the ones I've worked with. They all deserve raises.

SYKES Response

May 5, 2017 – HR Representative

Thanks for the fantastic review and 4-Star Rating! We couldn't be more pleased with the amazing teams we have throughout the SYKES organization. We appreciate your recommendations as well. Not only... More

2. "Work @ Home Employee Mill"

Former Employee - Technical Support Agent in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Support Agent in Austin, TX

I worked at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from the comfort of your home
    Provide equipment
    Some benefits

Cons

Ineffective management teams
    Tech issues with their software & hardware directly impacting ability to do the job & you are held accountable for the results
    Once you begin to separate, they start giving you a hard time
    They do not give raises. 3000 hours of employment equals a $.15 cent raise. No annuals, no reviews
    Promotion opportunities are limited to "insiders" who are cozy with the upper managment.
    No schedule changes allowed, no shift bids, and they do not work with school schedules

Advice to Management

The call center environment requires the ability to develop and grow your teams. Instead, Sykes beats agents over the head with scores and miscellaneous tracking information that mean nothing to the agent struggling to do better.

"Not worth it."

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative

I worked at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Position was work from home. Callers weren’t too bad in terms of rudeness. 3 breaks a day, two 10 minute and one 30 minute. They send most of the equipment.

Cons

Not enough training before hand. Barely any support once you go live. When you do receive support, they are very condescending. Training and production contradict each other. The majority of the training does not prepare you for being on live calls. You are not given enough time each day or in between calls to catch up on other cases or answer emails. But you are expected to have all of your work completed the same day. Poor management.

Advice to Management

Give your employees better training before and during production. Train your managers and trainers to better assist your reps.

4. "Customer service sykes"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent, Technical Support in Creedmoor, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent, Technical Support in Creedmoor, NC

I worked at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At home can be a good thing when taking calls

Cons

Lack of compensation, management was very lackluster

SYKES Response

Nov 8, 2016 – Senior Manager, Global Communications and Digital Marketing

Hi there! We’re so sorry to hear you felt unsatisfied with your level of compensation and with your management team. Can we get a bit more information on exactly what made working with your... More

5. "Most Deceptive Company Ever!"

Current Employee - Pearson Education Technical Support
    Current Employee - Pearson Education Technical Support

Pros

Work from home (thats all)

Cons

-They lied about the job, never said it was seasonal (temporary)
    -Training was deplorable
    -Company treated employees as disposable
    -The pay was AWFUL

Advice to Management

Stop conning employees into temporary work without telling them. You ruined a lot of people's prospects with other jobs they could have taken by making them think this was permanent and them refusing other job offers..

"Interview process"

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the best reasons to work for Sykes is the convenience of working from home, easy start up. Sykes sends you a computer, keyboard, and mouse all you have to do is supply the monitor. A desk, and a quiet environment - set up a home office with a door. A landline phone as well
    The interview process is very easy. You are in a group setting, where a host explains the job and does a couple of poll questions to see if you are a fit for company. You go through a series of different rooms as you progress through the interview process. By the end of the process you will be told if you are hired or not.
    Afterwards, you will fill out standard paperwork, have background check done, and will be told your training start date.
    The trainers & team leads are very supportive

Cons

Your training pay is your state's minimum wage. After you complete training your pay will increase

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to feedback from employees on ways to continue to improve work life balance at Sykes. Overall good job on being available to employees and responding to their needs.

7. "Okay but Not a career...."

Current Employee - Technical Support Agent in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Technical Support Agent in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

For the most part most of the managers are really supportive when it comes to giving pointers or tips about how the calls are to be taken and the atmosphere on the project that i work on is fun and laid back. I was told this is the best program to be on. If you are single or need a second income this is a pretty cool place.

Cons

The hours and pay is low... Was told the hours would change once out of training during the hiring process due to a glitch when choosing hours available and also again by my trainer but then was told by my direct supervisor that it wasn't a possibility until after 1 year of employment. The policies are constantly changing as with most jobs but you can be dinged on reviews immediately without being made aware of the changes. Promotion almost feels impossible based on what is required to be promoted leaving it all in the hands of the customer... surveys..
    It can feel a little inconsistent one mgr or trainer tells you one thing then another tells you something else I have been left confused at the inconsistency and it makes me as an agent look incompetent to the customer. The constant system issues its to be expected that sometimes they will be down but all the time multiple times per day??? the constant logging in and out of everything is quit frustrating!!! I was told several times i would be promoted then when the time came it was well maybe next time. Definitely not wanting to pursue a career based on this.. Okay for now but really just a JOB!

Advice to Management

Be more consistent with what you tell the agents across the board when you go to get approvals for escalations one lead shouldn't tell you one thing and then be denied by another for following something you were told by another lead in the same situation. Maybe base promotion more on the agents performance looking at are they following all polices and handling calls correctly and not solely leaving it up to customers opinions, have had plenty of customer feed back where they were happy with me but not at the company so i was given a low score due to this and thus was not selected to be promoted loosing out on a possible pay increase and these horrible hours. allow more on the phone training thats where u learn the most.. mock calls dont help as much as on the phone training with real customers..

8. "Tech Support Agent / Customer Service Representative"

Current Employee - Technical Support Agent/Customer Service Representative in Concord, NC

I have been working at SYKES part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hard worker, reliable, enjoy dealing with customers.

Cons

Dealing with a quota on a daily basis can be stressful

"Unreliable"

Former Employee - Customer Service and Technical Support Representative in Baltimore, MD

I worked at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a real job
    Real pay check
    Not a scam
    It is a legitimate job when they have work to offer.

Cons

While they expect you to sacrifice everything during your shift window, which includes but not limited to denying you your scheduled lunches and breaks, but they will also tell you that you are not allowed to use the restroom because "We are AHOD" (all hands on deck); and the entire time they ride you about having your Metrics meet their high standards. They are non stop stressing how exceptional we need to be for the client, but when it comes to them returning the favor and guaranteeing the client commits to their pledges of employment. I was laid off because client was doing away with at home crew, then asked back and assured that employment was secured only to turn around 2 weeks later to be informed that I was laid off again because the client changed their mind and only intend on keeping the Manila crew! So Sykes did not lose the client, but rather than guaranteeing the job they promised me and the other at home agents here in America, they took away our positions here in the United States and gave them to the crew working in the Philippines. Walmart pays their employees more than what you get as an hourly wage, and this is of course after only earning your state's minimum during the time while in training.

Advice to Management

Remember the names you see listed as employees are attached to real people, living real lives.

"Eh. (Sykes @Home)"

Former Employee - Technical Support Teir I (Pearson Hire-Ed) in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Technical Support Teir I (Pearson Hire-Ed) in Tampa, FL

I worked at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They pitch a really good deal, But you decide because some people might like it and some may not:
    -Micro-management
    -At-Home (No gas!)
    - You get lunch and two 15 minute breaks.

Cons

-Communication issues are kind of annoying
    -Micro-management
    - I got fired because I had an issue with my internet and they didn't want to let me take a few extra days to get my internet provider to help me.

Advice to Management

Be a little more understanding when you hire people, even though it is peek season doesn't mean I am just trying to get out of work, I liked working here and wish I could have stayed.