SYKES Technical Support Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
SYKES President & CEO Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Pros
Cons
  • No pay for amount of calls although many days calls were back to back resulting in 101 calls taken in 4 hours (in 19 reviews)

• I really feel the pay should be increased for at home customer service workers (in 40 reviews)

"Good people, Fairly easy, Great job overall!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent, Technical Support in Albany, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent, Technical Support in Albany, GA

Pros

Competitive pay, work from home, team-oriented, you're always recognized for doing well, supervisors and trainers always available to help, paid training, amazing people, fairly relaxed environment, overtime opportunity, benefits offered

Cons

Minimum wage during some training, benefits are VERY expensive, hard to work during hurricane season (in the southeast) because of power outages, sometimes boring especially when it's slow

Advice to Management

The only advice I have for management is to try and allocate more time to individual people rather than addressing the whole 200 person department at once. I know you guys are very busy, but it would really mean a lot if you could offer more individual attention. All of your trainers and middle managers are fabulous and wonderful and I love every single one of the ones I've worked with. They all deserve raises.

2. "Customer service sykes"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent, Technical Support in Creedmoor, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent, Technical Support in Creedmoor, NC

I worked at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At home can be a good thing when taking calls

Cons

Lack of compensation, management was very lackluster

SYKES Response

Nov 8, 2016 – Senior Manager, Global Communications and Digital Marketing

Hi there! We’re so sorry to hear you felt unsatisfied with your level of compensation and with your management team. Can we get a bit more information on exactly what made working with your ... More

3. "Most Deceptive Company Ever!"

Current Employee - Pearson Education Technical Support
    Current Employee - Pearson Education Technical Support

Pros

Work from home (thats all)

Cons

-They lied about the job, never said it was seasonal (temporary)
    -Training was deplorable
    -Company treated employees as disposable
    -The pay was AWFUL

Advice to Management

Stop conning employees into temporary work without telling them. You ruined a lot of people's prospects with other jobs they could have taken by making them think this was permanent and them refusing other job offers..

"Interview process"

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the best reasons to work for Sykes is the convenience of working from home, easy start up. Sykes sends you a computer, keyboard, and mouse all you have to do is supply the monitor. A desk, and a quiet environment - set up a home office with a door. A landline phone as well
    The interview process is very easy. You are in a group setting, where a host explains the job and does a couple of poll questions to see if you are a fit for company. You go through a series of different rooms as you progress through the interview process. By the end of the process you will be told if you are hired or not.
    Afterwards, you will fill out standard paperwork, have background check done, and will be told your training start date.
    The trainers & team leads are very supportive

Cons

Your training pay is your state's minimum wage. After you complete training your pay will increase

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to feedback from employees on ways to continue to improve work life balance at Sykes. Overall good job on being available to employees and responding to their needs.

6. "Okay but Not a career...."

Current Employee - Technical Support Agent in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Technical Support Agent in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

For the most part most of the managers are really supportive when it comes to giving pointers or tips about how the calls are to be taken and the atmosphere on the project that i work on is fun and laid back. I was told this is the best program to be on. If you are single or need a second income this is a pretty cool place.

Cons

The hours and pay is low... Was told the hours would change once out of training during the hiring process due to a glitch when choosing hours available and also again by my trainer but then was told by my direct supervisor that it wasn't a possibility until after 1 year of employment. The policies are constantly changing as with most jobs but you can be dinged on reviews immediately without being made aware of the changes. Promotion almost feels impossible based on what is required to be promoted leaving it all in the hands of the customer... surveys..
    It can feel a little inconsistent one mgr or trainer tells you one thing then another tells you something else I have been left confused at the inconsistency and it makes me as an agent look incompetent to the customer. The constant system issues its to be expected that sometimes they will be down but all the time multiple times per day??? the constant logging in and out of everything is quit frustrating!!! I was told several times i would be promoted then when the time came it was well maybe next time. Definitely not wanting to pursue a career based on this.. Okay for now but really just a JOB!

Advice to Management

Be more consistent with what you tell the agents across the board when you go to get approvals for escalations one lead shouldn't tell you one thing and then be denied by another for following something you were told by another lead in the same situation. Maybe base promotion more on the agents performance looking at are they following all polices and handling calls correctly and not solely leaving it up to customers opinions, have had plenty of customer feed back where they were happy with me but not at the company so i was given a low score due to this and thus was not selected to be promoted loosing out on a possible pay increase and these horrible hours. allow more on the phone training thats where u learn the most.. mock calls dont help as much as on the phone training with real customers..

7. "Tech Support Agent / Customer Service Representative"

Current Employee - Technical Support Agent/Customer Service Representative in Concord, NC

I have been working at SYKES part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hard worker, reliable, enjoy dealing with customers.

Cons

Dealing with a quota on a daily basis can be stressful

"Unreliable"

Former Employee - Customer Service and Technical Support Representative in Baltimore, MD

I worked at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a real job
    Real pay check
    Not a scam
    It is a legitimate job when they have work to offer.

Cons

While they expect you to sacrifice everything during your shift window, which includes but not limited to denying you your scheduled lunches and breaks, but they will also tell you that you are not allowed to use the restroom because "We are AHOD" (all hands on deck); and the entire time they ride you about having your Metrics meet their high standards. They are non stop stressing how exceptional we need to be for the client, but when it comes to them returning the favor and guaranteeing the client commits to their pledges of employment. I was laid off because client was doing away with at home crew, then asked back and assured that employment was secured only to turn around 2 weeks later to be informed that I was laid off again because the client changed their mind and only intend on keeping the Manila crew! So Sykes did not lose the client, but rather than guaranteeing the job they promised me and the other at home agents here in America, they took away our positions here in the United States and gave them to the crew working in the Philippines. Walmart pays their employees more than what you get as an hourly wage, and this is of course after only earning your state's minimum during the time while in training.

Advice to Management

Remember the names you see listed as employees are attached to real people, living real lives.

"Eh. (Sykes @Home)"

Former Employee - Technical Support Teir I (Pearson Hire-Ed) in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Technical Support Teir I (Pearson Hire-Ed) in Tampa, FL

I worked at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They pitch a really good deal, But you decide because some people might like it and some may not:
    -Micro-management
    -At-Home (No gas!)
    - You get lunch and two 15 minute breaks.

Cons

-Communication issues are kind of annoying
    -Micro-management
    - I got fired because I had an issue with my internet and they didn't want to let me take a few extra days to get my internet provider to help me.

Advice to Management

Be a little more understanding when you hire people, even though it is peek season doesn't mean I am just trying to get out of work, I liked working here and wish I could have stayed.

10. "Wonderdul"

Former Employee - Technical Support
    Former Employee - Technical Support

I worked at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No since of direction for team leads. As long as aht and stars are good you have a job. Otherwise you will be ramped down

Cons

No guarantee of job or hours. You could be ramp down on any given day. No raise or stability in job . pay stucks

Advice to Management

Should pay more money

"Dream job!!!"

Current Employee - Tier I Technical Support in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Tier I Technical Support in Houston, TX

Pros

Flexibility to take time off. Paid training. Positive environment. Supportive management. Opportunities for advancement. Good benefits. Never a payroll issue in 3+ years.

Cons

I love my job, after 3+ years, I sincerely have no negative comments.

Advice to Management

Pay rates could be better. There's a vast difference between the rate of pay at brick and mortar vs rate of pay home based. The difference exceeds the $$ saved by working from home.