SYKES "customer service" Reviews | Glassdoor

SYKES Employee Reviews about "customer service"

Updated Jan 18, 2020

SYKES President & CEO Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes
1,393 Ratings
Cons

Reviews about "customer service"

Return to all Reviews

"Very Professional, yet personal"

Former Employee - Trust Advisor in Lakeland, FL

I worked at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

Family feel, professional atmosphere, and fun training program.

Cons

Customer service reviews were oddly handled. Easy to misunderstand. The pay wasn't enough.

Advice to Management

Provide support at all times and to everyone, not just to top sellers. Encouraging everyone will result in higher profits.

SYKES2019-12-03
  2. "Great Place to work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fairfield, IA

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Salary for W@H Customer Service

Cons

Very.. disorganized training model. More focus on CS than Working on the Backend

Advice to Management

Training was real rough. We went through 4 weeks of "Sales/Customer service Training" and then a week of actual backend systems traning, going into nesting a lot of us were overwhelmed.. I would rethink that model.

SYKES2019-11-07

"Dont"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rockford, IL

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work from home is the only positive

Cons

Job was supposed to be customer service and turned into sales...management was horrible if someone wanted to speak to a supervisor you were on hold for 2 or more hours and getting yelled at the whole time cause supervisors didn't want to take calls it was terrible

SYKES2019-11-06

"Not Bad for Arkansas when disabled"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Smith, AR

I have been working at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

Always able to make overtime

Cons

Pressure cooker, you always have to be faster! Customer service is a far second. Advancement opportunities are good, because of the high turn over rate.

Advice to Management

Stop the constant pressure. You might actually have people that will stay. Also, offer part time work.

SYKES2019-10-14

"Good Company, Bad Client"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ontario, CA

I have been working at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

Sykes is contracted by other companies to provide customer service to their customers. I was employed by Sykes working as a tech support agent for a major cable company. Sykes itself was good, I have no complaints about their company or my treatment while I worked there. You just have to be good with customer service and okay with repeating the same phrases over and over when you take calls. Definitely need to be computer literate if you are telecommuting as well.

Cons

However, the cable company I worked for that was the client of Sykes did not end up being a good place to work. They provided excellent training, but often when I was speaking with a customer to fix their problem there would be some sort of issue that prevented me from being able to do so, and I would have to take the flack from the customer. It was extremely awkward and unpleasant at times. For example, a customer would complain that their technician didn't show up for their appointment and all you could do was offer another appointment, to which the customer would say "well what if they don't show up again?" and the only answer you could offer was "then call back and book another one"... not easy to end that call. Their technical and customer service systems/tools would often go down too, which made it extremely difficult to do your job, and again you were left apologizing to customers on behalf of their company. I expected to be apologizing for the issues they were calling in for, but instead apologizing and try to correct for the company's lack of organization or efficiency became the main job. With all that said, I'm sure my experience was very specific to that particular client, and my experience with Sykes itself was completely fine. Definitely worth a try to see if it is right for you, as telecommuting can be very convenient for your lifestyle.

SYKES2019-08-28

"Could be better"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at SYKES part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Very friendly company to work for. Helpful when struggling on issues.

Cons

Phone systems and servers as well as vpn are in great need of updates. Connections time out and fail to load on a very regular basis. Is extremely frustrating trying to solve customer service issues while battling inside tech issues

Advice to Management

See above

SYKES2019-08-23

"Customer Service Rep"

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get to work from home.

Cons

1. Obviously there will always be competition. Because the Client does want to put all their eggs in one company for customer service. So the program is always changing. 2. They changed metrics. Like good metrics means you get Performance pay. Since I’ve been on the client program they changed this numerous times so they can light a fire under their MRA to beat the competitors. 3. It wasn’t always selling on this program. But the program is now focusing on up selling membership renewal even when a 69 year old member is good for 3 years. 4. If you don’t meet the conversions-they will give you a verbal warning. This didn’t start until recently and they cited it’s the client. Mind you when you first get hired on they don’t mention anything about up selling. The program is now hiring Rep who is now solely focus on selling. 5. The pay is $10.00. It was 9.50hr but after trump tax cut for the wealthy they decided to give a pay raise. 6. Research different work at home jobs 7. This is a good for perhaps a work at home mother/wife or disable person who has additional sources of income. But if you rely on this as your only source of income. You won’t be able to pay mortgage, utilities, car payment, and miscellaneous bills i.e. groceries .

SYKES2019-09-24

"It's a job"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Convenience of working from home. Not having to purchase work attire and save money on commute and lunch.

Cons

Pay is low. Minimum wage based on your state. Was laid off from what I was told would be a permanent position then was offered a web cam customer service position 1 week notice was given.

Advice to Management

Provide more options if you plan on pulling an assignment and 2 weeks notice would be more helpful then just barely 6 days.

SYKES2019-08-07

"high turn over"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Morristown, TN

I worked at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

Met some really great people.

Cons

Stressful job because of high pressure sales when it was told to be a customer service job.

Advice to Management

Hard to push sales of Directv to a unhappy customer that is angry.

SYKES2019-08-14

"Unprofessional environment"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kingstree, SC

I worked at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

Give you the experience you need as a customer service representative If you put in the work it’s guaranteed you’ll move up in the company

Cons

Unprofessional environment it’s a lot of kids being hired and you can tell. While the it was $9.50 hr Im not sure it could’ve increased by now

Advice to Management

Restrictions should be on who’s hired so that work environment can be better for the ones who want to actually work.

SYKES2019-08-06