Saba Software Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Saba Software President and CEO Phil Saunders
Phil Saunders

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexible work environment and ability to work from home" (in 42 reviews)

• "Amazing people, work life balance, stress at work is manageable, best HR team as they continuously run different fun programs for employees' benefit" (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "you need to struggle for work life balance" (in 21 reviews)

• "No cons as such, some times there is release work pressure" (in 14 reviews)

"IT support"

I have been working at Saba Software full-time

Pros

1. Diverse employee population,both interns of race and age.
    2. Company makes a big effort to ensure employees are recognized for a job well done.
    3, Very positive work environment with an emphasis on continuing to grow the company.
    4. Company actually uses their own products to improve work environment.

Cons

1. Due to merge with other company, Saba is going through some growing pains.

Advice to Management

1. From a compensation perspective, would like to see a annual bonus program put in place that is tied to the individual and company's performance.
    2. Continued emphasis on building individual manager capabilities is needed.

Apr 8, 2018 – Head of Organizational Talent & Leadership Development

Thank you for your feedback. We are listening. Keep in touch, we are working on some new manager growth projects now. Love your feedback.

2. "Good to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, CA

I worked at Saba Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved to work with it.

Cons

Works are some time extending beyond time limit

Jun 4, 2018 – Head of Organizational Talent & Leadership Development

Thank you for sharing! Your feedback means a lot to us :)

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Saba Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

New CEO is a visionary and true leader. Product set is easy to get behind and sell passionately.

Cons

Too much unnecessary turmoil. Recent acquisition of Halogen by Saba has some how turned into a now Halogen driven organization as Halogen directors were added to the board and they have slowly taken over. To many unqualified Halogen leaders now driving the ship. Many Saba veterans being forced out or leaving because they have had enough. Saba CEO is great leader as mentioned previously but unfortunately has hands are tied by the board. Truly very unfortunate as this company was making fantastic upward strides in the last 3 years.

Advice to Management

Get back to Saba core before its to late. You are losing the very people who in the past would bleed for you. Halogen was a good company and there are one or two strengths we can pull from their platform and organization but transforming the Saba core to the Halogen methodology is currently not working and will not work in the future unless the goal is to compete with the lower tiered competitors and completely lose the mid and large enterprise market.

May 28, 2018 – President & CEO

Beyond the obligatory Glassdoor ‘thanks for your feedback’, I truly appreciate your transparency - it clearly reflects your care and passion for SABA and its great people. This past year was... More

4. "good company"

Current Employee - Manager in Macon, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Macon, GA

I have been working at Saba Software (Less than a year)

Pros

pay on your work and your productivity

Cons

travel to much and no time for family

Advice to Management

be productive and be dedicated

Mar 14, 2018 – Head of Organizational Talent & Leadership Development

Thank you for your feedback, we are listening and it helps us grow and improve.

5. "Good company"

I worked at Saba Software (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, great unlimited vacation policy, transparency from the President

Cons

Silos in the past, but they've worked hard to break them down, some crappy lower level managers
    Culturally speaking, the Engineering team constitutes an extremely homogenous group

Advice to Management

Develop some cultural diversity and inclusion, do a better job of developing internal talent so that they can advance within the organization

Nov 20, 2017 – Manager, Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it

"Potential lives here"

I have been working at Saba Software full-time

Pros

A lot of smart people work here. The original Saba team is hardworking, collaborative, scrappy and optimistic about the future. With the recent acquisition of HGN, there is a ton of potential here to evolve the company and change the market.

There are definitely some golden children here that are allowed to operate big areas of the business with questionable results, but in general, Saba is not weighed down by politics, and you have the ability to speak your mind, own your role, do what's needed, and see the impact of your work. If you want to be successful, you basically own it.

The new management team is making progress - sometimes it can seem slow, but it's a good combination of "best of both" organizations and it's moving in the right direction. New and exciting product innovations, more depth of expertise across the org, and a lot of new opportunities for all.

Cons

The recent acquisition created a culture-clash, and not all but many of the new additions to Saba are a political, backstabbing, and very passive-aggressive bunch. HGN was not operating successfully or profitably as a company in the end, but some are clinging to a distorted reality of the past, refusing to change, pining away for the way it used to be, and making it hard to look towards the future and move the company forward together. Ironically, the HGN organization had the mantra "feedback is a gift" - clearly some of them don't understand what that actually means.

Their petty behavior is especially painful for high performers from both sides who can see the truth but are met with high drama for stating the obvious problems with the old business model and way of working.

This also goes as far as some employees blaming the CEO for the company lacking a positive "culture." My advice to them - look in the mirror.

Advice to Management

It's understandable to want employees to be happy, and your desire for a homogeneous, unified culture makes sense, but it can't be at the expense of our business performance. Stop coddling grown adults and make decisions that are best for the business. Focus on stabilizing the organization, setting the foundation for the future Saba, and making rational decisions based on the needs of the business. Stop reacting to drama. Growth and success will follow.

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it.

"What does the future hold? Is it about growing or being successful"

I worked at Saba Software full-time

Pros

Company has some very good and very talented people. The Austin office was brought together to be the Center of Customer Excellence. We built an incredible team in the office.

Cons

After a recent purchase of Halogen Software, the company seemed to be run from a very top down approach without fulling grasping the importance and the sacrifices many had made to help build that office. Halogen management located in Ontario, CA took over control of the Support team and despite good talk of compensations, recognition, budgets, etc... not much was well communicated or delivered.

Advice to Management

You want to build a company who drinks their own champagne and use your own software to help empower, train, compensate your employees. I hope it finally happens, but after 10 + years of promises I am not convinced. The focus needs to be on the basics and not moving forward all the time. You need to be better at what you do before you grow too much too fast.

8. "pros outweigh cons"

I have been working at Saba Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- flexible work schedule
    - autonomy to do your job
    - mostly working with experienced employees, Saba doesn't try to hire tons of people right out of college for cheap labor but instead they seem to invest in the right roles
    - global company with strong market presence & brand
    - company is growing and there is a ton of opportunity to move up or into different roles. hiring within is common
    - great product
    - impressive customer list
    - decent benefits (401k match, unlimited vacation)
    - I personally have an exceptional manager who is intelligent, transparent, direct, and I continue to learn from her every day

Cons

- recently acquired another company which can be very stressful to employees on both sides
    - business/GTM strategy isn't always clearly communicated
    - global company so communication can be a challenge for those who have previously worked at smaller companies or companies where everyone is in an office

Advice to Management

- be better communicators
    - provide better training to managers & sales teams

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it.

"Company moving in the right direction"

Current Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX

I have been working at Saba Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A little recent history: this company had a lot of turmoil 2-3 years ago, when it was delisted from the stock exchange for shady accounting. The owners brought in a entirely new management team, and the company is now seeing the fruits of these changes.

- All these people who have recently written negative reviews were the "weakest links." As someone sitting on the inside, this might suck for them but its great for the company and the rest of us. None of us want to be picking up the slack. I'm glad the leadership has the fortitude to release the weak performers and not just shuffle them around the company.

- Lot of flexibility regarding how we do our jobs, where we work, and when we work. Most of the sales and marketing team members work remotely and are trusted to get their work done as they best see fit. Everyone is treated like an adult.

- Leadership has a clear vision on where the company is going and is open in sharing this with the company. The execs are all rowing in the same direction. We have the CHRO, CEO, VP of Marketing and other execs all willing to do what it takes to for us and for our clients to succeed.

- Great alignment between sales and marketing. Not perfect but everyone is openly working on this and its getting better each day.

Cons

- Too many people working remotely. Why have an office if people living right down the street never come in? Makes collaboration more difficult.
    - Company is growing fast. This creates a lot of uncertainty and is stressful to a lot of people...especially when there are people getting let go.
    - The sales team needs more formal training and a sales methodology.
    - The satellite offices don't seem to have all the perks that the people in the main office get.

Advice to Management

I have great faith in the direction of this company. I love that you are all willing to roll up your sleeves to get the job done. It seems to me you're all team players, and from my perspective there's not a lot of politics going on. A few points:
     - We badly need to implement more sales training. I don't think hiring experienced sales people is enough. Many are bringing bad habits they picked up in previous jobs.
     - Its going to be hard to define an office culture when most of the people in the office are working from home most days.

Sep 26, 2017 – Manager, Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it :)

"Incredible Company with Incredible People"

Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at Saba Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hands off management style with the ability to work in and out of the office as you please. If you're able to hold yourself accountable and perform well on your own accord, your work/life balance will be unbeatable.

Very good pay, unlimited PTO (took a 3 week vacation with no questions asked), and excellent benefits.

Excellent product, powerful partner alliances, and now a huge upper hand following the acquisition of Halogen.

Harmonious coordination between the different functions in the sales/marketing organization. High level of collaboration.

The people are what make this company so great. Very laid back and relaxed, yet aggressive in the field. Sales Kick Off is a blast if you get the chance to go!

Cons

All of the negativity on here is brought forth by the Halogen acquisition. Growing pains are to be expected...just trimming the fat :)

You have to be a self starter. You are held accountable for your contributions but are not micromanaged to the point of forced success. If you have no clear sense of direction and drive, this might not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. Crucial business decisions always come with some sort of recoil. The future of this company is so bright because of how you all have transformed the organization!

Sep 26, 2017 – Manager, Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it :)