Saba Software Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Saba Software CEO Pervez Qureshi
Pervez Qureshi

Pros
  • Flexibility to work from home as long as it doesn't hamper productivity (in 35 reviews)

• Excellent place to work where you can maintain work life balance (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a little tough but entirely up to the employee honestly (in 19 reviews)

• No cons as such but lots of client issues in between stories are problematic some time (in 11 reviews)

1. "System Administrator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Saba Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work for

Cons

Bit driving for me from San Jose

Advice to Management

None

"Stagnant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA

I worked at Saba Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good product and great customer base in enterprise segment. Decent sales team. Free lunch.

Cons

Soul, culture and teamwork have been destroyed by management team brought in by PE firm a year ago. Business processes are weak. Most initiatives are short-sighted and reactive, not building for sustained growth.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach in employee engagement. That would go a long way in running the company. Value and listen to the veterans who have been in the industry for some time.

"Good company"

Pros

Good team, free lunches, onsite gym

Cons

Old-school tech company that's a little slow on innovation and operations

"Deck chairs always getting rearranged"

I have been working at Saba Software full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It once was wonderful, plenty of work and good consultants to bounce ideas around with for troubleshooting advice. Good salary, nice bonus structure and for the most part good management until the two people without Saba experience were hired and they damaged the reputation of Professional Services because they "had a better mousetrap", which was proven to be wrong several times.

Cons

Professional Services is often considered an outcast by the company - we were never treated as well as the Sales group. In my 10 years we have only gotten together three times as a group. Most of the Consultants are home office employees and never meet their supervisor or even seen the corporate office. Everyone in CA gets a free lunch everyday but the Consultants better have a receipt for that cup of coffee purchased in the airport when you were traveling at ungodly hours of the morning to get to the client. Oh, and with out notice..bonus were stopped. When asked management just said we don't do that any more.

Management is sending all the Professional Services work to partners now, because of the bad reputation they have for their integration work. So we don't know how long this group will last.

Advice to Management

Change the management of Professional Services and restore it to the way it was.

"Slow downward spiral"

I have been working at Saba Software full-time

Pros

There are some good people to work with. Work life balance is pretty good.

Cons

Expectations and reality do not go hand in hand. While I understand that decisions are made at the top of the mountain, the perspective of employees that are in front of the battle lines are very important. However, since the new CEO never deigns to come down his lofty perch, all feedback is dismissed.

Customer support is a joke. Customer service is the worst I've ever seen in a SaaS company. Customer satisfaction is unfortunately not at the top of the priority list. Management is very dismissive of legitimate customer feedback. So if you are looking for a customer-facing management role, go somewhere else because you will be extremely frustrated.

Internal teams are extremely unhelful. It takes the company moving as one team to make a client successful. However product management and engineering teams do not take the time to help out their other non-development teams. This makes any customer-facing role very difficult since there is no support from internal execs. (This goes back to customer satisfaction not being a big priority)

Their idea of employee career development is forcing existing employees into different jobs that they never signed up for. This is how it goes - " I know you've joined us to do XYZ, but we need you to be in job role ABC. You either accept or leave the company" This is regardless of whether that employee has a proven skill set for this new role or if he has expressed interest in it.

Unlimited vacation is a bit of a joke. Employees are so stressed out about losing their jobs and morale is so low that most do not want to take that time off.

The good feedback is harped upon, the bad feedback and constructive ciritism is ignored.

Advice to Management

Drink your own Kool-aid. You claim to be in the business of Talent management, yet you don't care about your own people. Conducting one generic survey is not enough. LISTEN to what they have to say. Segment the feedback you receive and act accordingly. Invest in client satisfaction. Fix support - the support team in India is single handedly ruining client satisfaction. Employees have been saying this for years but it is falling on deaf ears.

"Saba is primed for growth"

I have been working at Saba Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Turned the corner on optimization and clear focus now is growth
    Awesome product and amazing customers
    Executive team is focused on growth, employee development and work/life balance
    Recently added two executives that will help tremendously on product and investment
    Influx of new talent is bringing renewed excitement

Cons

Dealing with fallout of year one optimization by losing talent and doing more with less. New processes in place and focus of executive team has this back on track.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in people and processes. Continue with transparency.

"You cannot trust the current customer support management."

Former Employee - Advanced Support Engineer
    Former Employee - Advanced Support Engineer

I worked at Saba Software full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I used to work with great people and made life long friends during my tenure, and I am happy they have moved on to work for better companies. I recommend you do the same. The company appeared to really value their employees up until 2014, which is when the layoffs started.

Cons

I worked for the company for nearly 10 years. In that time, I had seen four difference managers & four VPs for Customer Support come and go. I witnessed support offices close all across the country for no other reason than money. I saw a response from Saba mentioning that these position were redundant, which seems odd to say, unless the goal was for US based customers to speak with EMEA support due to overflow? You would often see a case for a complex issue where the US based customer wanted to speak with someone during their US business hours, but there was no agents in US available, because too many US agents were laid off.

They did not care about the people or their experience & knowledge these closed offices contained. Now they have 1 person doing the work of 10 people, and that 1 person lacks half the knowledge they should already know (due to lack of training), and you're lucky if your case is handled in a month. Management has said openly in meetings that if you don't like it then leave. They do not care about making it better for the employees, they only care about the bottom line for the investors. (see ex-ceo's pay fraud scandal)

I witnessed Tier 1 support moved to India in 2014 while giving them no training whatsoever. Still after 2 years customers are complaining constantly about tier 1 support agents lack of knowledge. The customers eventually figured out how to use buzzwords to have cases immediately escalated and it soon became a work environment where everything is escalated. For example, a customer service agent would have too many cases to reasonably work on in a day, which meant that cases were escalated internally so that it was pushed to the top of the list. A customer support agent could easily find themselves dealing with 5-10 escalations a week while still trying to maintain a case load of 50.

Advice to Management

Customer support management at this company is shameless, and although many feel as I do, only a few are outspoken, because the majority who are left are there on work visas, and they are afraid of losing their visa status.

"Not really fun"

I worked at Saba Software full-time

Pros

*some* good people to work with. Most, if not all have left

Cons

Goal of the week should really be goal of the year. Blind leading the blind

Advice to Management

Make work enjoyable and meaningful.

"Incredibly dedicated team, good benefits, somewhat challenging work/life balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Saba Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have only been at Saba for a short time, but the dedication from the team is very inspiring.
    People will go out of their way to help you, and all of my other coworkers that I've interacted with are very friendly and welcoming.

It feels like we've accomplished more as a company in the time I've been here than the entire 11+ years I was at my previous job. It may not literally be true, but it speaks to the dedication and hard work the team puts in.

Saba is also a truly global company, which I enjoy being a part of. There is a wide mix of cultures in the office and across the globe to learn from.

The pay is competitive and 401k matching was instituted at the beginning of this year. There is also free daily lunch and breakfast available. There is an unlimited vacation policy as well, which seems to follow industry trends.

Cons

The work/life has been challenging so far. There has been a fair amount of work at night and on weekends. The odd hours can be explained by Saba being a global company, however. The weekend work is a result of aggressive scheduling of activities.

The unlimited vacation, while also a potential positive, is also a potential negative. There is no accrued vacation that needs to be used up, so it is entirely up to your manager on how much can be taken. It hasn't been a problem so far, and hopefully it won't be.

Advice to Management

There are lots of very smart and dedicated employees here. Keep them happy and the sky is the limit!

"Run far away from this company..Very unscrupulous company"

I worked at Saba Software full-time

Pros

Pay in line with industry standards

Cons

Poor management from top to bottom. They treat individual contributors with no respect. Always playing the blame game. Individual contributors embarrassed on how management treats customers.

Advice to Management

Clean house of management especially in support and hosting. Provide the needed manpower to do the job correctly.