Sabre Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sabre President & CEO Sean Menke
Sean Menke

Pros
Cons
  • Less focused on work/life balance than it once was (in 50 reviews)

• No transparency or ownership amongst upper management (in 32 reviews)

"Mediocrity at best, malicious at worst"

Current Employee - Communications in Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Communications in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Above market rate pay, solid benefits, decent cafeteria. There are pockets of dedicated workers that care about their work. If you can find them, you can do excellent work.

Cons

Rudderless company, disconnected leadership, poor self-awareness. Slow to fire, and fast to hire. This leads to a culture of mediocrity and a kick-the-can mentality without any accountability. Everyone is trying to pawn work off on everyone else rather than take responsibility themselves. Leaders do not lead. An uneasy lack of clarity permeates every layer of the organization. This reinforces the silo mentality and demoralized those who truly care about their careers and want to do great work. Stay here too long, and risk becoming just like those people. Young people who want a flexible work environment beware -- the flexible days are over. It's an 8-6 desk job, not matter how far out you have to commute into the boonies. No desire to offer anything else. Sabre is the essence of Corporate: layer of bureaucracy, inconsistent application of culture ideals and company policies, and an overall feeling of a blend between "The Office" and "Groundhog Day."

Advice to Management

Some of you make millions of dollars. Most of us don't. When people ask for flexible work environments so they can take care of their non-work lives, you shouldn't treat them with disdain. It's nice that you can afford a nanny to take care of your kids -- most of us can't. You truly have no idea what's going on with the rank-and-file: disillusionment, disengagement, frustration and pure soul-sucking pain.

"Big changes in the wrong direction"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Contributor in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Contributor in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice Campus, lots of good people, diverse and accepting workplace.

Cons

Below market compensation, benefit standards are in decline, upper management lacks understanding of business and systems, work/life balance priorities in freefall, corporate culture is quickly turning toxic, HR is less than useful (doesn't seem to care about people at all).

Advice to Management

Suspend the mass hiring/layoff cycle until after you reorganize so you have a clear picture of what and who you need to be successful. You're a technology company first. Make sure you have any team that supports a technology system under IT (like every other successful technology company out there). Stop moving system support teams from one unrelated department to another and stop placing them under the purview of leadership with no IT experience. Look for teams/systems which benefit from longevity of membership and stop hiring the cheapest people, training them to worth more then refusing to pay them what they are worth. Constant turnover is acceptable in some departments where little training is required. System support teams which require a year or more of ramp up DO NOT benefit from this strategy. It's faddish, has been tried and has failed in enough industries to warrant skepticism. If you insist on following this model; at least attempt to limit it to only those departments which can withstand the attrition.

"Very uneven experience"

Former Employee - Corporate Communications Manager in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Corporate Communications Manager in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time

Pros

Decent pay and benefits; Chance to work with global team

Cons

Executive leadership out of touch with rank and file; HR team unapproachable about issues with senior leaders; software company that doesn't update its technology; No strategic direction within Corporate Communications team leadership

Advice to Management

Do a few things well instead of many things poorly

"Too many games being played"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cafeteria, working from home, travel

Cons

Favoritism is obvious when laying off/terminating, If you aren't social enough you'll be on the chopping block. Many Directors don't know the business, they are moved around between areas just because. There is a "layoff" game. Lay off just under the amount needed for a WARN letter. There's no work for Airline after 2017 and it's dwindling. JUMP SHIP

Advice to Management

Stop the games, Don't hire so many people just to lay off. Combine functions and departments. Stop the favoritism.

"Untrained Managers - Frequent Layoffs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good environment, excellent technical personal. Good benefits and very competitive salary..

Cons

Bad administration, inexperienced managers. Frequently layoffs. Managers prefer to dismiss than relocate experienced employees. Employees cannot dispute when they are poorly evaluated, even when there is sufficient evidence of good work throughout the year. Is all up to the inexperienced managers.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to technical people, and attempt to reallocate talents. Managers need to be trained. Give chance for employees proves their performaces instead of leaving upon inexperienced managers discretions.

"Management is not good"

Former Employee - Estimate Coordinator in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Estimate Coordinator in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre (More than 10 years)

Pros

They were flexible with me when I needed to have something done to my house or with my kids.

Cons

Sabre doesn't seem to train most management very well. I was there 20 years and I had 17 managers. Out of those 17 I can only say that two were good. The rest only know how to please their superiors and didn't seem to know what to do with everyone that reported to them.

Advice to Management

Train your managers better.

"Sr Project Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work hours, challenging work

Cons

Frequent layoffs, can't feel comfortable in your job due to layoffs that occur often

Advice to Management

Establish a more stable environment for employees

"Reactive leadership with no product/customer strategy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Green building & nice cafeteria.

Most teams have come together to consistently work around organizational barriers as they are introduced.

Pay tends to be higher than average. (The recent pulse survey showed, the #2 reason employees comes to work is for the paycheck)

Cons

Sr. Leadership is leading with fear and building strategy around stock price and not around our customers or products.

Days are filled with meetings where everyone multitasks and are not mentally present nor focused on the meetings intended outcomes.

Management spends their days in meetings and managing by spreadsheet. They don't know a what is happening on the floor of their own departments nor the high opportunity costs of the decisions they are making.

Advice to Management

Focus our strategy on how to create great products/services and how to satisfy our customers. Your short term thinking is leading our customers to abandon us.

9. "Words do not match action"

Former Employee - Information Technology in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good cafeteria, and some other perks on campus.

Cons

Lack of standards, lack of transparency

"Awesome opportunity sub par upper management."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to travel and see the world. Opportunities and learn new skill sets, challenging and rewarding job assignments.

Cons

No defined career path. No transparency or ownership amongst upper management. Accountability rare or turned into the blame game.

Advice to Management

Provide a clear, concise career path to your employees. Transparency is a must. Ownership and accountability helps build morale.