Sabre Reviews | Glassdoor

Sabre President & CEO Sean Menke
Sean Menke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Less focused on work/life balance than it once was (in 50 reviews)

• Upper management seems to be in turmoil (in 33 reviews)

"Massive layoffs , Toxic Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Sabre (More than 5 years)

Pros

literally nothing left which could be construed as positive

Cons

horrible environment with constant layoffs (next round in july). lack of ownership or accountability from c-level on down the ranks. teams dont work together at all. we have design but all our products function pitifully. it's nearly impossible to sell our dated systems but the countless ui designers do little to help. product management has no clue about what our customers want to buy/use and are completely out of touch.

"Office Politics and favoritism is Rampant"

Former Employee - Manager in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Above market pay, good benefits, ability to attract top talent

Cons

High level direction changes are not translated to middle and lower management. It is business as usual at lower level, with empty slogans. Management play favoritism and form little fiefdoms. HR department is probably the worst in the industry. They are able to attract top talents with high compensation, but not able to retain most of them.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the "well liked" long time managers who are resistant to change, and constantly sabotage each other for political gains. Fix the toxic work environment should be the top priority.

"serious problems"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

travel will continue to grow and improve but will Sabre be part of that growth...

Cons

too many problems but most start with management. way too many layoffs for a company of its size shows poor decisions from top down. new ceo can't grow what doesnt exist and new players with agility will soon dominate. quality (vs cost) of benefits is significantly lower than others in tech industry.

"Not recommended"

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Westlake, TX
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Westlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is great, benefits are awesome, but that's the only good thing about Sabre.

Cons

Leadership is horrible, Human Resources if you tried to contact them to schedule anything in regards of any issues they will not help you. They will try to find ways to fire you if you're not well liked in the department. They're not flexible on your schedule and they will not help you in any way.

Advice to Management

Get your stuff together.

"Bad News Bears of Technology - Avoid!!"

Former Employee - Principal Researcher in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Principal Researcher in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Well established in travel to the point it’s monopolistic but that’s also a detriment

Cons

Bad management from top down. The culture is bad given the constant layoffs.

Low morale

Dated technology with little to no real innovation

Older workforce with very little room for growth

No real transparency at any level

HR is non existent. Many issues were simply ignored

Design organization was ridiculous and lack of a true design process was just sad

"Principal Product Marketing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Brand name, that's it. Decent relo package. CEO was a good guy, but that's it. I can't think of anything else.

Cons

Sabre Airline Solutions - Bad leadership, managers are autocratic & overall BS culture . HR is not neutral & just a terrible place to work at. Save your career/life & apply somewhere else.

"Legacy Products... Legacy Process... Impotent UX!!"

Former Employee - Lead User Experience Designer in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Lead User Experience Designer in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing much to write which is positive. I suppose the fact I got a UX T-Shirt was pretty cool but being forced to wear it EVERY Wednesday was a bit much. Now it's my go-to shirt when I mow the yard!!

Cons

Apologies if this review seems bias, but I just left Sabre after only a year. While I would like to be impartial; my experience was so bad that I simply canʼt think of anything good except meeting some amazing UX Designers.

If you are a UX designer (aspiring or veteran) avoid Airline Solutions at Sabre. I can't really speak for the other business units but I would assume they are much the same.

I moved my entire family to DFW for Sabre expecting to experience what I saw through the interview process, but this was far from reality. I had high hopes for this opportunity. Over the year I worked to achieve great performance reviews and a good rapport with my team, but in the end, I opted to leave the company and move my family again. I wanted nothing to do with Sabre UX and wanted to get as far away as possible.

User Experience in Airlines Solutions at Sabre is a totally and completely broken. While the designers are top notch; the management absolutely sucks! Get ready to push pixels bc there is NO design thinking whatsoever. The lack of a true design process is shocking. This was by far the worst and most detrimental experience in my career thus far. If you care about your career, the avoid this place at all costs.

Product teams dwindle for YEARS (seriously years), and then expect UX to come and save the day. Do not leave your magical pixie dust at home, as you are expected to sprinkle the sparse requirements into something “sexy."
    UX is not at the table except at implementation, so rather than solving cool
    problems, you will be stuck "wireframing" someone else's half-baked ideas. Oh, and those ideas aren't actual products... No no, they are vaporware demos that Sabre will tirelessly build rather than working with customers to solve real problems.

In all my years in software development; I have never seen a company work so hard to create ‘demos,ʼ which are meant to ‘mimicʼ functionality to be ‘shownʼ at their annual conference. Of course; users arenʼt actually involved in the design process, but rather you work with Airline Industry Experts (aka retired gate/ticket agents).

If you are interviewing at Sabre, get ready to see their amazing usability labs...
    Relics of Legacy UX and defenders of Waterfall processes. I mean, these “labs” are so cheesy!! Stadium seating to watch test participants through two-way glass. Iʼve havenʼt seen a company go to such lengths to separate UX from users by building a glass wall. Sabre UX really did build a wall!!

Or be sure to tour the single room "Design Studio," which is meant to be a hacky showcase of UX, but instead is a glorified conference room with a few extra movable rarely used whiteboards. Post-it Notes?? Ha ha ha ha, right!
    Rather than actual design the room is used for meetings and play these non stop promotional videos for UX at Sabre. UX is so disregarded that they resort to promotional videos to evangelize UX within the organization. Don't forget about the UX T-Shirts!!

You dont want to miss the fine dining at the Sabre Cafe. It might not look or taste like fine dining, but it surely costs as much. Learn to love the cafeteria bc it's the only food within a 3-mile radius and so that $4 salad turns into $8 quickly. Yum-o!

Don't worry though, because you will quickly want to vomit your lunch after having to listen to all the airlines experts share their experience working for Braniff or some other airline from the prehistoric days. Maybe to design some really great eye candy for the ol' portfolio... Not!!

Definitely don't expect a true design critique from any of the airline experts.
    Remember, they were gate agents back in the 80s so they lack the ability to
    provide rich feedback but rather will say your designs dont have pop and sizzle. Compared to the Windows 3.1 looking designs you are updating; anything will have pop and sizzle.

'Main Street' at Sabre leads to a dead-end, especially if you are seeking to join the Airlines Solution UX team. The growth potential is non existent and since it's a legacy UX shop the skills dont translate to other companies. Lack of personal development is clearly evident by seeing so many long term designers (5+ years) who haven't been promoted within the ranks. Sabre constantly looks outside rather than promote from within the organization.

But hey, you're UX... You got the T-Shirt or Baseball Cap to prove it!!

Lastly HR... Lacking empathy has complete disregard for their employees. The
    fact they call themselves "Human Resources" is a total joke. After documenting my issues and taking them to HR; they showed no compassion whatsoever. Their only concern was for their Relocation Repayment Agreement and even after going to them in tears; they completely turned away. They even went as far quoting the FMLA given I had a child about to be born. I was informed that I was unable to take time to spend with my soon to be born child since I had only been with the company for 11 months.

Just a few days shy of meeting my relocation agreement; I decided my pride,
    dignity, respect and family were far more important than the money they are
    forcing me to repay.

Please learn from my lesson and avoid this place at all costs.

Just to sum it all up:

** Thereʼs a general lack of design thinking in UX.
    ** Thereʼs a stunning lack of project management across the board.
    ** Thereʼs also an alarming lack of accountability. Senior management, including the CEO, have been leaving rather than owning up to bad leadership decisions.
    ** UX is generally not involved until design inception and implementation.
    ** We did a lot of work on ‘demosʼ, which are meant to mimic functionality for
    conferences and sales pitches.
    ** Actual users arenʼt involved in the design process until testing. Only a couple of teams held ethnographic studies to understand how the user works in the wild with our products.
    ** The usability labs they have are fairly outdated and need some upgrades. They arenʼt built to handle AR/VR or any advanced technology coming up.
    ** Thereʼs not a lot of room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Accountability and Transparency.
    Fail Fast. Pivot if you must but move the *bleep* on!
    Design is more than pretty pictures!
    Thought leaders grow designers not project managers!
    YOU are not YOUR user (and neither are the product owners)!

"A wrong choice for Contractors"

Current Contractor - Support Engineer in Bengaluru (India)
    Current Contractor - Support Engineer in Bengaluru (India)

I have been working at Sabre as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Volvo Bus passes every month.
    Work - life balance in non-technical projects.
    WFH option provided if your manager approves.

Cons

Absolutely no work life balance in some of the projects.
    Contractors will be treated indifferent when compared to full time.
    They will hire core experts to do layman jobs. Even 10+ years experienced will be made to work with freshers in the same project.
    No shift allowance for contractors.
    Managers behave like dictators. Some managers are unfit to be called as managers.
    Freshers in the team can treat you poorly even if you are 10 years experienced.
    Non Existent HR teams.
    Too much office politics.

Advice to Management

Set up a proper HR team.
    Treat employees and Contractors equally with respect

"It's about the bottom line, not the employees"

Current Employee - Software Development Manager
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager

I have been working at Sabre full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home if Manager approves.

Cons

Management has no idea what they are doing. They don't care about employees anymore it is all about the bottom line and bonuses for Management.

Advice to Management

Stop with the layoffs once a year and get your act together.

"Senior Analyst"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Sabre as a contractor

Pros

You will meet some great colleagues, who want to do their best and the right thing.

Cons

You will meet some very negative people, who think their seniority earn them the right to sabotage your effort. Some very senior people are stuck in the old ways (remember technology developed in the 60's) and do not understand nor strive to learn the current IT methodology and architecture. Politics are abundant! People promoted to management with little practical experience then micro-manage their teams. There are much power struggles and territory grabbing. Indian managers want to move work to India. Others want work to stay in Southlake. Hire and fire contractors like cattle. Also will hire spouses of H1B visa holder even if not qualified (recently changed rule allowing spouses of H1B visa holder to also work). What you got is a work force requiring much much training to work at the beginner's level. Sabre has the strangest time reporting system that is grossly inefficient. Basically everyone works for IDs to charge their time. If you don't have a valid ID, you just use anything until someone tells you to backtrack and correct. Every week this effort of reporting time take 10% of your working hours, an incredibly inefficient system.

Advice to Management

Too many to list. Stop the power struggles. Stop the favoritism. Stop the territory grabbing. Hire and keep skilled workers and effective managers. At a minimum, implement new time reporting system.