Sabre Reviews | Glassdoor

Sabre Reviews

Updated April 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Cons

"Amazing people, clueless and politically driven management. But don't screw yourself over by working here."

Former Employee - Analyst in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people at Sabre are amazing. Extremely polite, and wonderful people who each have their own story. People at Sabre help each other to grow and learn.The environment is beautiful and the cafeteria has pretty decent food.

Cons

Managers who don't protect their employees, SVP's who are yes men, employees viewed expendable. The recycling bins, and the lack of privacy at work. Sometimes you just don't want to be bothered. Sabre was an amazing place to work when Sam Gilliland was President/CEO. I think that it says a lot when he left. He knew that 10% of the work force would be let go for their new "vision." Sabre doesn't need a new vision, it just need to utilize the number of tools it already has. Do we use any of our acquisitions? How about all these dashboards that no one uses, and we waste time building? Travelocity could have been saved, if we spent more time trying to fix things, instead of trying to fix the surface problems. With a marketing campaign as strong as Travelocity has, why would you throw that brand away? Unnecessary long hours. This isn't Deloitte, this is a tech company. What is the need to work ridiculous hours? To prove you value your work life more than a real life? They promise a work life balance, but really it is more of a work work and no life balance. WFH days are of the devil at Sabre. If you WFH, it is assumed that you don't do work, even though you have emails and actual work completed to prove that you are working. Just because your manager doesn't wfh doesn't mean that you shouldn't be able to. Why are only some policies upheld in certain departments? Why does Finance follow its own policies. Shouldn't policies be company wide?

SVP's who just nod their head yes. It is like a bobble head that doesn't stop. Why not double check with your team to see if they have the capacity to complete the work? How about not forgetting the work that you assign? Completed projects and when presented having an SVP wondering what it is for. Remember, you asked me for this? You have SVP's who sugar coat. Sugar coat a massive lay off by saying that this is for the good of the company. It is all about the vision that they are trying to create. For the betterment of the entity as a whole. Lying to people, instead of working with them and being honest. Did you that honesty goes a lot better with then false hope?

Then you have the managers who were at one time your colleague but now your boss. Which is fine. But then they let their personal problems hinder their perspective and take it out on their employees. And they make your job a living hell for as long as they can, because their personal life sucks. Instead of screwing over your employees, why don't you help them out? Teach them ropes, understand what they are interested in? Stop being fake, pretending to be this happy go lucky individual. Why don't you be honest?

Advice to Management

Be honest. Is it so hard? So you heard that there would be lay offs? Well tell us. We would appreciate you more for it. This so called vision, is nothing but fluffy way of saying, "Hey, we screwed up real bad, but lets put some big words on a poster and increase the lack of company morale!" Sabre is screwed, especially with the type of people running it today. Everything is politically driven, to see who can gain the most. It is cut throat, and unnecessary.

"Decent"

Former Employee - Software Developer, Contributor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer, Contributor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sabre full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Better benefits than the company I worked fro before Sabre took over.

Cons

Sabre is shiftless and they don't care about their employees. The are always concerned about the bottom line. They will cut your throat to save their own neck.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Laid off from Sabre and still unemployed."

Former Employee - Doesn't Matter in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Doesn't Matter in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees were allowed to work from home at times except Fridays although some teams were allowed to do that which didn't make sense.

Cons

Management and above didn't care about the employees and played favorites. Utilize all employees on a team so that everyone can be engaged and not just the favorites.

Advice to Management

Address conflicts on the team to avoid a hostile environment instead of hoping it will just go away. Act like you care about your employees and their career path/growth.

"I was never allowed to do the job I was hired for and was never allowed to get training to better myself."

Current Employee - Software Configuration Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Software Configuration Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The only two pro's for me are the paycheck and due to my seniority my vacation time.

Cons

My manager is only interested in pleasing his boss, if we don't meet his bosses standards then we don't meet his. And since Sabre has laid off a lot of people worldwide in the past year he uses that to try to get us to work. I also was never allowed to get training in the programming skills that I was hired to do and since then I have been unable to get training in the skills that I am expected to use daily.

Advice to Management

Hire managers that care about their employees and stop worrying about hiring the best people in the business and worry about empowering the people that already work there.

"Figure Head Management"

Current Employee - Associate Product Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate Product Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Sabre full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

if there was one, I would say. Very talented employees. Flexible schedule as well. And pretty decent Company perks

Cons

The sect I work for (for the next 2 weeks anyway) has a very severe problem. Most of the products we offer, are widely outdated. Im talking 8 to possibly 15 years old. Every month there is a new issue with our software that we have to submit a ticket for. Not only that but every time we bring an issue up, It gets ignored. Management is extremely narrow minded when it comes to every teams problems. All they seem to care about is planning and making money for themselves. The teams who make them the most cash, they pay more attention to (of course). Nobody seems to care in management, It seems to be that a management position is more of a political standpoint, than an actual job that involves solving an issue and creating opportunities for others. Not only that but my management team is based out in india. So how in the hell are things suppose to get done.

Advice to Management

Start acting like managers. Listen to your employees, We are not just numbers. Stop treating US like we are the ones who are outsourced. Stop planning so much. Put your money where your mouth is. and start taking action. Stop sugar coating everything and ignoring issues. they are not going away.I however am going away. Your business ethic is atrocious. Your turn around times are just as bad. and your CEO is just up there looking good. What he actually does is beyond me, because he is clearly running a dog a pony show.

"No longer the leading travel industry technology company - Distrustful and disrespectful environment"

Former Employee - Principal Program Manager in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Principal Program Manager in Southlake, TX

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits if you negotiate aggressively during the hiring phase

Cons

Senior management operates in a constant damage control mode due to inability to communicate project progress truthfully to customers
    Good old boys club environment for promotions and career opportunities
    Project management standards are not adhered to resulting in failure to deliver initiatives on time and on budget
    Technology division is risk adverse and not willing to explore creative solutions without detailed industry standards resulting in a growing gap with new initiatives with their key competitor
    Departments are territorial and organizationally silo driven with significant finger pointing between them

Advice to Management

Be honest with your customers
    Treat employees (new and old) as assets to be nurtured and developed long-term
    Encourage creativity in product and service development
    Walk the walk don't just talk the talk, if you are going to be Agile and Lean then everyone in technology has to be converted

"Marketing Manager"

Pros

Good people with lots of knowledge

Cons

low pay, high hours, new executive leadership with growing pains, very high turnover - good if you want to to get hired, but not if you want to stay here, mostly promote externally

"Not so equal opportunity company in IT"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southlake, TX

Pros

Beautiful building and great location, the company is environment aware and volunteer to many different areas and needs.
    Paycheck is good

Cons

Your race and sex might slow you down from promotions if you are in IT/service side

"Cog in the Machine"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Sabre full-time

Pros

Good start to career if fresh out of school and need experience while searching for long-term position.

Cons

Poor work life balance on project teams. Account teams inconsistent in skill sets, leaving some with little to do and others understaffed, overworked, or clueless.

Advice to Management

Spread the work around more equitably. Currently there's a mix of "not enough to do" and "work 24/7 to meet due dates". Losing employees to overwork and unhappiness happens in cycles, adding more work to the remaining "team" members..

"Awful place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Southlake, TX

Pros

401K match is okay and the volunteer week each year is nice.

Cons

Where to start? All good ideas get lost in tiers on tiers on tiers of middle management. Upper management is completely removed from rest of employees and operates like an old boys' club. The office is in the middle of nowhere.

Advice to Management

Figure it out?