Sabre Reviews in Southlake, TX | Glassdoor

Sabre President & CEO Sean Menke
Sean Menke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Less focused on work/life balance than it once was (in 50 reviews)

• Upper management seems to be in turmoil (in 33 reviews)

"Not great"

Current Employee - Clerk in Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Clerk in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility, learning opportunities, good location

Cons

Bad corporate culture, lack of trust

Advice to Management

Treat employees like people, rewards should be based on merit, not friendship

"A Lot of Unrealized Potential"

Current Employee - AS P&T in Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - AS P&T in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Evolving technologies and challenging work. WFH flexibility is supported in most groups. Benefits are solid and pay is competitive.

Cons

Poor strategic management and poor customer care have become a cancer for sales and employment stability. Regular lay offs have steadily destroyed employee morale and greatly increased work hours. Constantly pushing work and positions offshore.

Advice to Management

Continuous C Suite turnover and exodus of key employees must be addressed. Stability and consistent customer focused strategy is key.

3. "Product Owner/Manager"

Former Employee - Principal Product Manager in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities for advancement. Nice headquarters campus in Southlake. Lots of friendly employees and former airline employees. Pay and benefits are competitive if you have supportive management. Most managers are supportive of work from home policies.

Cons

No loyalty to employees especially those with experience. Some horrible managers, directors etc. How they get promoted is beyond me but it's who you know not what you know in this company. They also hire a lot of MBA's that don't know the business but get treated like they are going to save the company. Too much turnover of CEO/upper management which has caused a lot of chaos in the company the last few years. Not a good place to be in my opinion. Often lack of direction from management as the are either bad managers or too busy to give direction. Employees below director level are treated as expendable regardless of their experience.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of supporting and promoting your own employees instead of always looking outside for MBA's. Keep your experienced employees instead of laying them off when they reach a certain pay threshold. Stop the churn of CEO's otherwise you'll keep losing good people.

4. "I used to love it here"

Current Employee - Sales Operations in Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Operations in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are still a few great pockets of employees/ teams. Sabre's longer term history and reputation will probably carry it through these hard times. Domain knowledge is unmatched!

Cons

Culture has taken a major hit with new leadership. It is understandable we are in recovery mode these days, but a lot of the things that brought me to Sabre have now been revoked or strongly diminished (work from home flexibility, travel opportunities, rotational programs, employee groups....fun in general).

Advice to Management

Analysis paralysis - practice what you preach and try to be more agile. Marketing materials take 6 months to be "officially approved" ...really? And by that point, oh our product has changed significantly and they are no longer relevant. Great.

Pay attention to the talent that you have. Sabre has a tremendous group of lifers, but if talent is ignored and not valued they too will leave.

"Mediocrity at best, malicious at worst"

Current Employee - Communications in Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Communications in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Above market rate pay, solid benefits, decent cafeteria. There are pockets of dedicated workers that care about their work. If you can find them, you can do excellent work.

Cons

Rudderless company, disconnected leadership, poor self-awareness. Slow to fire, and fast to hire. This leads to a culture of mediocrity and a kick-the-can mentality without any accountability. Everyone is trying to pawn work off on everyone else rather than take responsibility themselves. Leaders do not lead. An uneasy lack of clarity permeates every layer of the organization. This reinforces the silo mentality and demoralized those who truly care about their careers and want to do great work. Stay here too long, and risk becoming just like those people. Young people who want a flexible work environment beware -- the flexible days are over. It's an 8-6 desk job, not matter how far out you have to commute into the boonies. No desire to offer anything else. Sabre is the essence of Corporate: layer of bureaucracy, inconsistent application of culture ideals and company policies, and an overall feeling of a blend between "The Office" and "Groundhog Day."

Advice to Management

Some of you make millions of dollars. Most of us don't. When people ask for flexible work environments so they can take care of their non-work lives, you shouldn't treat them with disdain. It's nice that you can afford a nanny to take care of your kids -- most of us can't. You truly have no idea what's going on with the rank-and-file: disillusionment, disengagement, frustration and pure soul-sucking pain.

6. "Clearing out execs"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good location /facility. Fired some weak execs that should not have been hired

Cons

No innovation and bad exec leadership

Advice to Management

Invest in PEOPLE, people will drive INNOVATION...not the reverse.

Not known as a PEOPLE development culture, this needs to change to move Sabre to the next level of maturation.

"Work Life Balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a great place to work, flexible work schedule

Cons

But the flexible work schedule comes with a price, you are expected to support multiple clients, in multiple time zone, 24/7

8. "Principal Product Manager"

Former Employee - Principal Product Manager in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people, cutting edge technology

Cons

round after round of lay offs

9. "Some part of company better than others"

Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer in Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities to advance your career if you know the right people

Cons

Hard to move to other parts of company to advance your career unless you know the right people.

Advice to Management

More interface and communication with the grass-roots employees

"Massive layoffs , Toxic Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Sabre (More than 5 years)

Pros

literally nothing left which could be construed as positive

Cons

horrible environment with constant layoffs (next round in july). lack of ownership or accountability from c-level on down the ranks. teams dont work together at all. we have design but all our products function pitifully. it's nearly impossible to sell our dated systems but the countless ui designers do little to help. product management has no clue about what our customers want to buy/use and are completely out of touch.

Showing 313 of 1,002 reviews