Sacramento County Department of Health & Human Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Sacramento County Department of Health & Human Services Reviews

Updated 25 Jul 2018

3.8
Sacramento County Department of Health & Human Services CEO Lynn Frank (no image)
Lynn Frank

"Very good to work for"

Current Employee - Home Health Care Provider in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sacramento County Department of Health & Human Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Clients are very sweet and it is good to make them feel like someone does care. The elderly love the idea that they get to stay in there own home and get the help they need.

Cons

nothing really to say. Im satisfied. I love my job and wish I was able to make everyone happy and able to stay in there own home as long as they are able to but there is only one of me.

Advice to Management

More hours and maybe some vacation time. And big raises, but everyone wants that. So I am a happy employee.

Sacramento County Department of Health & Human Services2014-10-05
  2. "Great place for experience!"

I have been working at Sacramento County Department of Health & Human Services part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place for gaining important experience in treatment planning!

Cons

Low staff to client ratio!

Advice to Management

Please hire more people.

Sacramento County Department of Health & Human Services2014-08-11
  3. "It never gets boring, that's for sure"

in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sacramento County Department of Health & Human Services

Pros

Great opportunites to work on a variety of projects. Easy going co-workers and management. Comfortable office setting, reimbursable out of pocket expensises. Flexable work schedule and time off.

Cons

Lay-offs due to budget cuts, some who have been with organization many years are losing positions.

Sacramento County Department of Health & Human Services2011-06-29
  4. "Human Services Specialist"

Current Employee - Human Services Specialist in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sacramento County Department of Health & Human Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This employer gives everyone who works there reasonable opportunity to grow and evolve.

Cons

My biggest issue is when it comes to raises, it seems that negotiations usually favor management and the county and not always the employees.

Advice to Management

I would say to listen to employees as individuals and really look at what we do.

Sacramento County Department of Health & Human Services2018-07-25
  5. "Eligibility Specialist"

Eligibility Specialist in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sacramento County Department of Health & Human Services for more than a year

Pros

Good team work great supervisor very nice place to work

Cons

Call center very busy fast paced environment.

Advice to Management

Please can we update to CIV and have a 9/80 at Arena call center?

Sacramento County Department of Health & Human Services2015-07-10
  6. "Good place to work."

in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Sacramento County Department of Health & Human Services

Pros

Great training and opportunities to advance. You get to work regular hours, and get paid holidays, paid sick leave, and paid vacation. The benefits are good, you get health/dental/vision but your dependents aren't covered unless you pay more.

Cons

It's the government so everything is "policy and procedure." Office politics involved as far as who gets promoted though so sometimes your supervisor is someones "friend."

Advice to Management

Loosen up a little on policy and procedure, it doesn't have to be by the book all of the time. Especially in Health and Human services.

Sacramento County Department of Health & Human Services2009-07-31

"Rewarding work, High Stress"

Human Services Social Worker in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sacramento County Department of Health & Human Services

Pros

Reasonable compensation relative to other employers within the field. Challenging work. Supportive peers. Potential for a decent work-life balance (relative to the private sector). Good benefits- specifically, health benefits, vac/holiday/sick leave, maternity/paternity leave, some educational reimbursement, flexible schedules. Feedback about job performance, and recognition for effective job performance, is... good. There are definitely opportunities for advancement and/or a change in career path- opportunities exist both vertically and horizontally. Job security is very good, as is the opportunity to supplement base pay via overtime, depending on the division/program.

Cons

Department is underfunded by state government, creating a situation where workloads are often unmanageable. Ultimately, senior management seems to exacerbate the situation by instituting policies that add to the workload without providing adequate corresponding support. The situation creates significant turnover and dysfunction. The work is stressful by nature; however, the overall dysfunction adds to the stress,... which is unacceptable to many and creates a low morale among those who remain.

Advice to Management

When feasible, implement feedback from junior management and supervisors regarding the impact various policies have on workload and the ability to adequately deliver services. Doing so would greatly improve employee retention, morale, and effectiveness.

Sacramento County Department of Health & Human Services2008-12-07
  8. "Flexible"

Current Employee - Home Health Care Provider in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sacramento County Department of Health & Human Services part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, awesome fellow providers and clients. Ability to work with co-employers 1-on-1.

Cons

Payroll system is slow, and often when they have problem with my time card I was only notified upon calling to inquire why my check hasn't arrived. They are in need of major update to their payroll system. As well as notifying union members on changes in union and added deductions that I never was made aware of as well as presently continuing to be deducted from current checks 2x monthly. AND unable to cancel union... membership because locating membership contract seems to be a huge issue ( been trying to cancel for over 5months now) with no resolution.

Advice to Management

Major updates much needed for union 2015 seui. But direct management is great!

Sacramento County Department of Health & Human Services2015-12-18
  9. "I enjoyed the work with the public but was frustrated by managment"

I worked at Sacramento County Department of Health & Human Services

Pros

Decent Salary, Excellent Benefit Package,friendly co-workers

Cons

High pressure, disorganized, supervisors/management are not supportive, constant changes of personnel and forms

Advice to Management

Be more in tune with and supportive of social workers. Be more consistent about expectations, fewer changes, smaller case loads

Sacramento County Department of Health & Human Services2012-03-15