Sacramento Public Library Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rivkah K. Sass

1. "Happiest I've ever been!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sacramento Public Library full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing people doing incredible things! This is the best job I've had in 30 years of working full-time. SPL is a family friendly organization that embraces new ideas, diversity and personal growth. The Sacramento Public Library system is pioneering the future of libraries, education and community engagement. Great benefits and pension!

Cons

I love my benefits but it would be nice to not have any out of the pocket expenses. I always pick richer benefits than what the library covers.

Advice to Management

Keep talking to staff at all levels and listening to new ideas.

"Book Shelvers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at Sacramento Public Library part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is the perfect job for high schoolers who are willing to work and really need a job. The hours are fairly flexible and the job is fairly easy to manage with school and extracurriculars.

Cons

As an on call shelver, I don't get any benefits and I can't work more than 20 hours a week.

"Very rewarding work with strong support and good salaries."

Current Employee - Library Supervisor in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Library Supervisor in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sacramento Public Library full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Our paid time off policy that combines vacation with sick time into one usable bank is outstanding, as are all of our other benefits. It's pretty easy to get vacation time approved, and colleagues are wonderful to work with.

Cons

Training could definitely be better, and most learning happens on the job. Some managers are quite fearful of having the hard conversations required of them in their position.

"Not a lot of opportunity to grow."

Current Employee - Book Shelver in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Book Shelver in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sacramento Public Library part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Meeting new people both patrons, and staff alike. I liked learning more about the library on an insiders perspective and helping out with library programs.

Cons

Can be a very hostile environment, the people working there genuinely do not enjoy their job and exhibit a very stale condescending attitude towards others. Opportunity to advance is very limited.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a better way of promoting others on the inside, rather than leaving it up to people who generally meet with the person once before determining whether they are ready to be promoted; it is the branch supervisor who should make that decision. People should be promoted/ hired based on not only their experience but their enthusiasm to work with others, especially the public.

"Library Services Assistant"

Current Employee - Library Services Assistant in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sacramento Public Library part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Depending on the Branch Manager of the branch you are at, the work environment is wonderful. Possibility for advancement is good if you put more time into education the library helps you financially and with scheduling support to become a librarian. If you have difficulty with your manager you can easily move to another branch, several in house openings. Current Director is amazing.

Cons

Pay is low but consistent and bonuses are nonexistent. If you want to work at the library it must be for love of people, books and now computers. Some managers should be let go but are kept on and usually promoted. However, that has been changing due to a great new director. There are some factions in the system who believe her to be the devil himself but I have seen the same people say the same thing about every director (occasionally they were right).

Advice to Management

Current Director should be kept at all costs. Rivkah is the key to a real future for Sacramento Public Library, hold onto her, listen to her and stand behind her. I truly believe she will stay with the company which would be only beneficial to the city, county and state.

7. "automation"

Current Employee - Library Services Assistant in Sacramento, CA

Pros

When I started the pay was good but now it is half of that. It is wonderful to talk to people and get to know familiar customers who come back often.

Cons

The library is being automated to a point where we know our jobs will soon be obsolete. We do Librarian jobs with no compensation, RFID tags make checking out books so easy staff is not needed, some branches have machines to check in books, sort them and staff only need to shelve them. Some years soon that will be done by machine. Unless you intend to become a librarian there is no career ladder for an LSA. Shelvers have no career ladder either.
    Mostly you are there to do you back room work and help people with computers.

Advice to Management

Break the barriers of us and them. There is Admin and all the related staff and the rest of us. Create an environment where we are all one. Working toward a common goal, helping the public.

"Amazing opportunities for growth and development."

Current Employee - Branch Supervisor
    Current Employee - Branch Supervisor

I have been working at Sacramento Public Library full-time

Pros

New ideas are encouraged, no penalties for trying and failing, employee feedback is valued and acted upon, opportunities to work directly with public inside and outside of library, free to develop new programming, time allowed to work on committees, participation in educational/library conferences is encouraged, teamwork is amazing, internal youth services training is outstanding, many opportunities to serve in different roles.

Cons

Organization is quite large, so communication can be difficult; however, they're working on it!

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employees and act on their needs and suggestions.

"Sac Lib : Gradually Clawing Our Way to the Top"

Current Employee - Library Assistant
    Current Employee - Library Assistant

I have been working at Sacramento Public Library part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are many ways I could engage in the capitalist labor force, but out of all I have tried so far, Sacramento Public Library is by far the best. The sheer QUALITY of the work and the work environment is unparalleled. The psychological compensation through which one obtains by working for a valuable and valued institution such as this is, at times, beyond measure.

I left to work for a special library and decided to come back, even though it meant a great reduction in my pay (compared to my former employer), because at SPL we help people, all people, and do not have to focus on private interests. I came back to share a creative and imaginative vision of free learning for all, and SPL encourages that--whereas other types of libraries may de facto discourage it, or may underappreciate or undervalue that sense of commitment to one's community. In addition, SPL had easy-to-understand and easy to use rules about coming back to work for them. There are better career advancement opportunities that come up, as well, then what is available at other types of libraries.

We have remarkable consistency of our mission and values across very distinct branches and communities, which is an amazing feat in and of itself. We have a great director, great supervisors, and an attitude of giving people a leg up, giving them a second chance. The theme of this institution, both in its utility and employment, is "Second Chances." After working for different types of people, I can tell you that is how it supposed to be.

Cons

We don't quite measure up to some of the other public library giants like Seattle and New York, in terms of services and resources (we recently cut some key databases like Science In Context, WSJ, and Mitchell's repair database, which people grumble about a bit).

Part time medical benefits are not quite so good. Could they be better one day? I hope so. Dental and vision are fine.

Advice to Management

Consider paying the people who run the passport office more, because they have more skills than other assistant workers and do more for you, as well as take in extra revenue for the library (consider a 1-3% bump, or something).

Pay a better fringe amount for part time medical benefits. (strongly consider it)

Say "thank you" to your HR department. They do amazing work, at high speed, and they are amazingly kind, open, and helpful to all.

Try to model Rivkah. We could use 100 more like her. She is sensitive to people's needs, compassionate, hardworking, and at once both focused and flexible. She understands the current issues of libraries and understands the micro issues of her employees. She really cares about bringing people together, provides a good model for how to do that, and works very hard to help the organization grow in a positive direction.

"What does this field mean?"

I have been working at Sacramento Public Library full-time

Pros

Consistent and decent pay. Good benefits.

Cons

Heavy handed liberal progressive agenda from the top down. Completely at odds with Christian conservative values. Liberal Progressive views are flaunted and promoted and opposing views are unwelcome. For an organization supposedly interested in all ideas and being open-minded it is very isolating if you have a different opinion that goes against the grain.

Sacramento Public Library Response

Dec 5, 2016 – Public Information Coordinator

All views and people are welcome at Sacramento Public Library. It’s a fundamental cornerstone of who we are as an organization and the work that we do here. The programs that we develop and the ... More

"In group/out group"

Pros

Many of the staff are committed to their work, and there are opportunities to do creative things and advance quickly if you're in with the right people. New HR manager is dealing with the most egregious favoratism issues.

Cons

"In with the right people" is key. Whatever the director says is gospel, so you need to impress her or fly under the radar. People will sell you out to get in her good books.
    Decisions like transfers and promotions are made behind closed doors, with no real competitive process.

Advice to Management

Employees take their cues from you, and if you treat employees disrespectfully, they will too.