Sacred Heart Hospital of Pensacola Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Susan Davis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Coworkers are great to work with, benefits are good, very flexible with paid time off and a supportive atmosphere (in 4 reviews)

• A great place to gain knowledge (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There are a lot of good employees in this company that don't get what their worth (in 2 reviews)

• absolute worst department I have ever worked in (in 2 reviews)

1. "Financial Service Representative"

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Sacred Heart Hospital of Pensacola full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone I came in contact with who worked there was very nice. This is a company that seems to take good care of their employees. I enjoyed the people that I worked with. I also liked the location of the office I worked in. Everyone in the department was willing to help out if it was needed. This is one of the best places that I have ever worked.

Cons

Whenever I gave my notice to my supervisor to let her know that I would be leaving because I was moving 2 hours away, she seemed to be upset.

Advice to Management

Sometimes when people find opportunities elsewhere, don't be discouraged because you will eventually find an employee that fits the position maybe even sooner than later.

2. "Leaving was a good move for me!"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Sacred Heart Hospital of Pensacola full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Sacred in 2001-2005. I help positions as PCT, LPN and RN within the same department. I absolutely loved the girls I worked with! They are the reason that I stayed as long as I did. I did enjoy the job. I had excellent benefits including FMLA for maternity leave. I felt that my pay was adequate. The charge nurses were great and extremely helpful and kind.

Cons

Inconsiderate scheduling, forced overtime called flex shifts, worked way under staffed for over a year on night shift, nurse to patient ratios were absurd and down right unsafe, rarely had a PCT or HUC during my shifts. High volume of admits per shift with no time in between. Doctors were allowed to throw tantrums in the nurse's station that including throwing charts in the floor and falsifying progress notes with blatant lies because he was called about his patient in the middle of the night. My manager was just plain rude. The attitude of the nurses in other departments were vile. Having to float to another unit was torture because of how you were treated by those nurses and how you were dumped on. It was horrible. Allowing the patient to always be right was taken to the extreme to the point of being abusive. Once I traded shifts, with charge nurse approval, because we were moving. On the day that I was to be off to move the nurse I traded with called in. I received a phone call from a charge nurse telling me that I had to come work. I explained that I could not because of moving, had a rented truck and family in town to help us. I was told that I was responsible for the shift despite the signed and approved shift swap and I had already worked my shift for the other nurse. She came right out and told me that if I didn't come I would need to look for another job. Intimidation was common practice in my department if you dare rock the boat or fail to fall in line with their demands. That particular night I went in and worked under 110% unsafe staffing ratios and during that shift towards the morning a potentially bad situation occurred and was handled as best as it could be given the deplorable conditions of that night. I was forced to tell a family that the event was my fault when it was not with the nursing supervisor standing behind me apologizing for my incompetence. I was humiliated!!! I went to tell my manager to expect my two weeks notice but she wasn't there even though she was suppose to be. I sat and waited until 10am when she finally showed up. I told her what happened and that I would provide her with my written notice when I returned to work. I had been an excellent employee and coworker. I had been flexible, never called in and never gotten in trouble and she never once said please don't leave or is there anything I can do to make you change your mind. She just said ok but can you make it four weeks instead of two. I was crushed! I have never once regretted leaving and I did not work out a four week notice.

Advice to Management

It has been so long since I left there I wouldn't begin to know what advice to offer the current management. I do, however, still know people who work there and based on what they say things haven't changed much.

3. "Registered nurse."

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Sacred Heart Hospital of Pensacola full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great schedule, some great physicians to work with, and some great coworkers.
    Good cafeteria (slightly overpriced).
    They have a Starbucks.

Cons

Old equipment needing updates.
     A lot of burn out among employees and hey have had attitudes.
    Administration has difficulty keeping promises (said they would give retention bonuses but didn't)
    PTO accrual is slow.
    They don't do ONLY emergency procedures on the weekends like policies state.
    Poor staffing ratios.
    Pay is comparatively low in the gulf coast region for nurses.

Advice to Management

Hold true to promises, and take care of your employees. Improve the attitude by being the change. Increase budget for newer equipment that WORKS. Care about more than appearances.

4. "RN Carge Nurse Pace Florida"

Current Employee - Charge RN in Pace, FL
    Current Employee - Charge RN in Pace, FL

I have been working at Sacred Heart Hospital of Pensacola full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PTO adds up quickly. Ability to transfer to a vast number of facilities in the company. One of the largest healthcare companies in the US.

Cons

Raises minimal if you get any. Hiring process is lengthy and difficult. Difficult to work your way up. Need to know the right people to get anywhere.

Advice to Management

To keep good employees you need to listen to their complaints with an open mind. If a majority of your employees have the same complaint there may be a valid point you need to take a closer look at.

5. "Clinical Laboratory Scientist"

Current Employee - Clinical Laboratory Scientist in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Clinical Laboratory Scientist in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Sacred Heart Hospital of Pensacola part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

professional, great work environment, good training

Cons

none, thinking of relocating to another area

Advice to Management

trust your emplyees, for the most part they are very professional

6. "Great place"

Current Employee - Nurse Manager in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Nurse Manager in Pensacola, FL

Pros

Good chance for advancement, autonomy, proud to work here. Biplane, new children's hospital, and advances around the campus. Trying to advance patient experience.

Cons

Pay increases are hard to get. We need a scheduled pay advancement plan based on yearly evaluations. Tough to get employees engaged. No incentive.

Advice to Management

More CNO and director involvement with all the managers. They are scarce.

7. "An organization in transition"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Pensacola, FL

Pros

A great place to gain knowledge

Cons

Healthcare is a difficult place because of Medicare cut backs

Advice to Management

Improve communication

8. "Great learning opportunity"

Former Employee - Equipment Specialist/Endo Tech in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Equipment Specialist/Endo Tech in Pensacola, FL

Pros

In my department we closed in the afternoon mostly. There was 24 hour call however - I grew to love the thrill-ride of saving lives in the middle of the night - with good on-call pay.
    Excellent people to work with. I grew close relationships with physicians in Endoscopy dept. and they were more than willing to share their interests and knowledge with me....for 17 years.
    Exciting, life-saving interventions, fun, and great team members.

Cons

It is what it is; a revenue driven endeavor that sometimes crossed ethical lines in staffing concerns.

Advice to Management

Recognize who the real backbone of the hospital is and pay accordingly; even if it means going above the "sacred" target market recommendations.

9. "Registered Nurse"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL

Pros

Pay, patients, co-workers, hours, schedule

Cons

Short staffed, very busy, high stress

10. "traveler tech"

Former Employee - Certified Sterile Proessing Technician in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Certified Sterile Proessing Technician in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Sacred Heart Hospital of Pensacola (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing good about this hospital

Cons

management was a disgrace, department very dirty, proper techniques were never followed..absolute worst department I have ever worked in.

Advice to Management

hopefully new management has helped this department become a safer, more pleasant environment