Saddlebrook Resorts Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 11, 2017

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Thomas L. Dempsey

1. "Amazing place to grow in your career."

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Wesley Chapel, FL
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Wesley Chapel, FL

I have been working at Saddlebrook Resorts part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing. Plenty of room to grow if you are a hard-worker. You will be rewarded for it. I have to figure a few of those other negative reviews are simply disgruntled, lazy employees.
    Everyone is so kind
    Open to good ideas
    Passionate place
    I've had a positive experience since the interview and I continue to enjoy my time. I would be happy for the rest of my career at Saddlebrook and I plan to make that happen.

Cons

Nothing! Be a hard worker and you will rise. I am only writing this much because I have a 20 word minimum.

Advice to Management

Keep appreciating your amazing employees.

2. "Not a place to grow and develop for the future"

I have been working at Saddlebrook Resorts full-time

Pros

Great staff, everyone knows each other so it is very tight knit and its a lovely resort to be at all day.

Cons

Dont tend to promote from within, and if they do its the family members. Not very full of praise for good work or ideas, and they are stuck in the 1970's. The resort was obviously great back then but they haven't moved with the times and it is incredibly difficult to get raises or a promotion.

Advice to Management

Update everything.

3. "Difficult place to work"

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

Pros

Made a lot of money in the food and beverage department

Cons

Terrible Management, poor staffing during busy seasons

5. "They don't care about employees"

Former Employee - Barista/Server/Server Assistant/Room Service/Banquet Server in Wesley Chapel, FL

I worked at Saddlebrook Resorts part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employees are awesome and very professional.
    Some members and guests are very nice.
    It's good for hospitality experience especially since it's considered high end.
    The food is amazing ! They make almost everything from scratch and even make their own bread and pastries in their pastry kitchen.
    When it's busy you really make a lot.
    They have some employee functions that are nice.

Cons

They hire part time employees so they don't have to give them benefits but will work you overtime.
    They won't update anything and try to be exclusive to only high end customers.
    They will work you 18 hours in a shift then make you do this for days straight.
    They will let you go because your pregnant and won't accommodate you. Don't work here if you plan on having kids.
    They make you do a three person job by yourself to save money.
    They won't give you a raise no matter how long you work there.
    The management is very inconsistent and some were inexperienced.
    A lot of micromanaging
    You could have great secret shoppers then mess up once and they will fire you or move you to another department .
    The owner is sexist and racist .

Advice to Management

Stop letting the owner make all the decisions. The place had such great potential but because he won't allow change the place looks like it's stuck in the 80s.

6. "Great Place to work"

Pros

Great team of teachers that are dedicated to teaching children from around the world

Cons

The only con would be that there were not more days in the year to work at this great place

7. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Saddlebrook Resorts (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. Wonderful staff and very helpful during my internship there.

Cons

Nothing - would love to work there again.

8. "Bias"

Former Employee - Front Deck Agent in Wesley Chapel, FL
    Former Employee - Front Deck Agent in Wesley Chapel, FL

I worked at Saddlebrook Resorts part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Starter job into hospitality field

Cons

poor management, inconsistent policy, privately owned and operated. This resort used to have potential for growth and profit, the owner refuses to update the property or even buy new roofing which leaks, the managers are not consistent with policies across the board. managers pick and choose which rules they want to apply and to whom they will apply to. The point system for disciplinary action is the number one in broken policy.

Advice to Management

be fair and consistent to all employees, owner needs to update resort completely

9. "Poorly managed"

Pros

The people you will with are great and the customers are nice to deal with.

Cons

You will be discriminated against if you are a working mom. Management will make you feel like you will lose your job if you have to call in due to child or personal illness. I was asked to provide dr.s notes when my child was ill. I have never been asked for that at any other job. You will be scheduled for shifts that you have already indicated you can not work, and if you can't find a way to make it you will be written up. I was also threatened physical violence by a house keeper for no reason and management did nothing to address the situation.

Advice to Management

Take threats of physical violence seriously and fire the individual responsible. It is illegal to not take appropriate action in such matters.

"Unprofessional work environment with rampant sexism and discrimination!"

I worked at Saddlebrook Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are guests who make your experience as an employee well worth the hard work and effort to do your job to your fullest potential in order to make their vacations the best it can be.

Cons

This is a private resort owned by an older gentleman who has employed the same individuals on his executive board for many years, despite a dire necessity for change. People on his executive board promote people based on personal interest and likeability, rather than job performance, and this has contributed to a very hostile working environment- one in which unprofessional conduct is frequent, such as name calling, sexual harassment, improper work distribution to less popular managers and employees, lack of responsibility and accountability, etc. I didn't even receive an exit interview from the human resources department after being called off upon putting in my two weeks resignation. I was not impressed by the lack of oversight and the consistently unfair treatment of employees at this resort.

Advice to Management

Do not refuse to promote those that you do not like because 1) it is against the law and called retaliation, and 2) they just might be some of your strongest employees that have the potential to elevate Saddlebrook and restore its positive reputation from the 1980's and 1990's.

11. "Strength Coach and Athletic Trainer"

I worked at Saddlebrook Resorts full-time

Pros

Work with professional athletes and nice weather

Cons

everything else was an absolute disaster

Advice to Management

Stay away