Safeco Reviews | Glassdoor

Safeco Reviews

Updated March 8, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great People and Flexible work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Pays well and provides good benefits (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Liberty Mutual slowly shutting down Safeco (in 27 reviews)

• High stress environment with poor home/work life balance (in 13 reviews)

1. "Very much the stereotype of insurance"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Safeco (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance if you remember to use it, very stable - especially if you work for the Boston office. Flexible working hours/locations also great - just work it out with your manager. Great assistance with education and learning opportunities.

Cons

They're shrinking benefits and everything is pretty steeped in tradition. As you'd expect from insurance, the company is risk adverse so innovation is behind the times compared to other large companies like Google or Microsoft.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees more. Many of the recent changes have negatively impacted my time at work while 'standardizing'. This makes me feel more like a replaceable part than a valued employee. Further, the almost disregard to others outside the Boston home office has made many question their long-term job security if we aren't in Boston.

"Underwriter"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Safeco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent office location, decent pay, somewhat flexible work schedule, one of the last companies with both a pension AND 401k plan. But, pension likely won't last. They'll take that away too.

Most of the agent partners I worked with were good people. I have lasting relationships with a few of them.

Cons

Direct manager is awful. Absolutely no leadership skills, all he/she does is micromanage. Complete chaos and disorganization most of the time. Never knows answers to any questions we ask. Never prepared for meetings. Extreme favoritism and politics in the office from direct manager. Manager is downright unapproachable and good luck trying to confide in management. Sharing your opinion, even if done in a good and positive manner, is perceived as negative and comes back to bite you on your reviews. So very frustrating. We are promised an open door policy, but its just smoke and mirrors. Cannot trust management as far as you can throw them.

Training program is almost non-existent. Direct peers are responsible for training AND handle their own already impossible workload. What? Whatever happened to a training department?

Layoffs are coming, writing is on the wall, and everyone knows it. Mother Liberty has come in and taken complete control. It is clear they do not value their people and the impression they give is that they are better off without us. We are not an asset, but rather a liability to the company. My impression is they want you to feel disposable. I sure felt that I was.

Complete lack of direction. Seems as though the captain of the ship has no destination. No one seems to know where the company is headed. Even if they do, they definitely don't share with us. It's a mystery. It's my understanding that Nickerson has also left Safeco, which only confirms the uncertainty.

Employees are pitted against each other, resulting in a toxic team environment. Often times, work is where you go to make friends. Not Safeco. If you want to go anywhere in the company, be prepared to step on people to get where you want to go.

Manager conveniently forgets your contributions to short you on your review.

Advice to Management

Value your tenured employees more. Paying tenured employees only slightly more than new employees is infuriating. Be patient with change, employees can't adopt such drastic changes overnight with the extreme workload expected with absolute perfection, and no training on new systems.

Be more realistic. You aren't the only employer on the block. Treat your top performers better, and maybe they'll stay. Then, don't act surprised if they leave.

Give better raises to top performers, 1-2% doesn't cut it.

Listen more, and be attentive. Pay attention to employee's accomplishments and contributions, then reward them for it. Stop downplaying contributions like it's no big deal. Recognize that people are sacrificing time with their families to improve the company's position.

3. "Sr. Worker's Comp Rep"

Former Employee - Senior Claims Representative in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Claims Representative in Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at Safeco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mostly friendly atmosphere. I worked at other insurance companies and I would say just an average place to work.

Cons

WC department was managed by people who had no clue about WC.

"Service"

I have been working at Safeco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company have very nice benefits.

Cons

Management lack trust, honesty, amd inexperienced. Over promise and never deliver. Do not care about their employees.

Advice to Management

Start all over with new managers and start listenig to your employees.

6. "Customer Service Agent Associate"

Pros

They offer great benefits and pay and training. It was a privilege to work there. Love helping people.

Cons

Need to stay up on all the news of products that are evolving, which is a good challenge.

"Get a job elsewhere"

Current Employee - Inside Property Claims Adjuster in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Inside Property Claims Adjuster in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Safeco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people that I work with are great. The pay is actually pretty good as well for the job. But that is about it

Cons

The managers are awful. They are not in touch with the front line folks. They don't listen or help much. The head of the department is not cut out for the role. They are managers and not leaders. Turn over is high because the work load is insane and they expect perfection

"Inside Property Claims Specialist"

Current Employee - Property Claims Adjuster in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Property Claims Adjuster in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Safeco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay
    Time off (when you can use it)
    Flexible work schedule
    Company provides food often

Cons

Unmanageable workload
    Unrealistic expectations
    Unsupportive management team
    You are constantly under radar for management to find errors to write you up.
    Constant overtime is used as an excuse for not hiring adequate staff
    Time in training is extensive however when coming off training there is a major lack of support and throw to the wolves kind of atmosphere
    Too many unacheiveable goals
    Management and senior management are inconsistent and lack ability to make a decision
    Everyone that works there is only concerned with a paycheck and not helping other people

Basically if you want a job where you feel like you screw over customers, have to constantly work additional hours, be stressed all the time, and then get put on a performance plan this is the job for you.

Advice to Management

Care more for employees
    Learn how to do your own job
    Be available more often
    Not be so quick to consider people replaceable

"Do not recommend"

Current Employee - Property Claims Resolution Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Property Claims Resolution Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Safeco full-time

Pros

Pay is a lot higher than most companies in the area.

Flexible work schedule
    Adequate training

Cons

Management does not support their employees. They look for opportunities to fire you because they know you're easily replaced.

If you aren't put on a performance improvement plan, you will burn out due to the volume of claims they expect you to handle.

"Auto claims adjuster"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fenton, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fenton, MO

I worked at Safeco full-time

Pros

Nothing can prepare you for Safeco but Safeco will prepare you for anything.

Cons

If you have no life, Safeco would be perfect for you. You come in to 20 claims a day on top of managing your diary and expected to answer your phone 50% of the time in 7.5 hours. It's HUMANLY IMPOSSIBLE. Managers sucks and gossip about other employees ALL day. They only care about numbers. The goals are unfair and Impossible to meet which also makes it impossible to receive a bonus or raise. The work culture resembles that of a grade school. No work life balance. You are expected to work overtime in order to maintain your sanity. When you bring it to your manager's attention, they're only advice is telling you "This is not the job for you". They provide two weeks of training and then you're told to forget everything you just learned. The turn over rate is extremely high and the mangers say "We were hoping they quit". I swear you will have a mental breakdown working at Safeco. It's like a sweat shop.

Advice to Management

A bad manager can take a good staff and destroy it, causing the best employees to flee and the remainder to lose all motivation.

"Total Chaos"

Former Employee - Casualty Specialist in Marlton, NJ
    Former Employee - Casualty Specialist in Marlton, NJ

I worked at Safeco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is good (above market average from my research), and the benefits were as good as you can expect anywhere. Whether it's worth the stress is another discussion, but I was paid pretty well. I got a lot of professional experience I wouldn't have gotten elsewhere, and if you're into investigation and strategy the job itself is pretty cool. Every once in a while it feels like you're actually helping someone. I really liked my coworkers and still keep in touch with a few of them.

Cons

No one is equipped (or authorized in many cases) to make a decision of any significance, and training programs usually roll out just in time for them to change the mandatory workflow within a month. Most departments are constantly understaffed, and you will have to stay late or work from home to keep up. It's also a guarantee that you'll find yourself in an ethically compromising position, but if you're strategic, you can probably shoehorn a solution into the moral code you used to tell yourself you'd never break. The amount of bureaucracy is staggering, even to get the answer to a simple yes or no question, and once you get an answer, it will be second guessed by every person you come in contact with. Confidence is valued far more than competence, and it's possible to advance if you can force yourself to stay engaged and never show frustration, but conversely, if you show real, actual initiative to change anything, you will be defeated. Training programs are totally centralized, so any information specific to your region (which is about 80% of what you need to know) is not included. All this is pretty frustrating, but one of the worst parts is that meetings are called several times a week during the busiest hours, where the topics often include reminders of how to do basic parts of your job and photos from someone's vacation (I'm not making that up). The phrase "we appreciate you" is uttered over and over, as if saying it will make it true, but when it comes time for an evaluation not one of them will hesitate to throw you under the bus and focus only on your mistakes. I actually don't know if they're trying to save money on bonuses or if they just don't know what the performance criteria mean - you can decide for yourself which is worse. Gift cards and other prizes are given out regularly, which seems great at first, until you have to follow up for a month and a half to make sure it's actually delivered. When someone speaks up about low morale, there's a huge shockwave that ripples through management, and they brainstorm solutions in conference rooms for a few weeks until they lose interest (usually the results of these meetings are a pizza party). Overall, the company's biggest problem isn't mismanagement or disorganization - it's a lack of awareness that permeates down from the highest levels. Everyone agrees that it's a thankless, stressful, difficult job, and yet somehow the exact policies remain in place that keep it so. A poignant analogy to my time at Safeco would be the phone calls I made to customers on an almost daily basis: "Yes, sir, I understand what you're saying. But the claim is still denied."

In case it seems like I'm just airing dirty laundry - I brought up each of these points as an employee and the answer was always the same. "Thanks, we'll look into it."

Advice to Management

Just pay attention to employees and know what's going on. Hold yourselves to the same standards you expect of others, and if there's an issue with someone's performance, consider standing up for your team and helping them improve rather than rolling over and letting them look bad. Answer emails within a day, not a week. Stop making managers unavailable for up to a week at a time (this happens frequently).