Safety-Kleen Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jerry E. Correll

Pros
  • Good People, Nice Office, Accommodating, Steady, Comfortable, Good People, Nice Office (in 10 reviews)

• Great co-workers who worked well together (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Bought by Clean Harbors and it all changed (in 24 reviews)

• Upper management could be more understanding of the issues in the trenches if they knew what they were (in 16 reviews)

1. "Oil Sales and Service Representative"

Former Employee - Oil Route Sales and Service Tanker Driver in Urbandale, IA
    Former Employee - Oil Route Sales and Service Tanker Driver in Urbandale, IA

I worked at Safety-Kleen (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable company to work for. Co-workers were willing to help you out if needed. Management let you run your route if you did your job as expected.

Cons

Several early morning starts, long hours weekly and low salary considering.

Advice to Management

Get corporate management to pay employees what their worth if their doing a good job, so they continue working instead of leaving, because of burnout without the correct pay.

2. "Lost In Mgmt"

Former Employee - Pricing Analyst in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Pricing Analyst in Plano, TX

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good and talented employees. Teams I interacted with on non-mgmt level worked well together. Benefits package was great and matching 401k.

Cons

Management was more of do as I say, not as I do. Buddy system and true promotion of friends. I was moved into another dept and my pay raise was never applied. I was told to talked to my Manager but the position was vacant. I needed to wait until it was filled. I left before it was.

Advice to Management

Back up what you say to employees and the commitments you make or talented employees will continue to walk out the door.

3. "Lots of growth opportunities"

I have been working at Safety-Kleen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of growth opportunities. Pay structure is high paying and dependent on the individuals work they put in

Cons

The balance between personal life and work life is not good. Aging equipment becomes concerns to complete job tasks. Health insurance is bad.

Advice to Management

Improve the fleet with newer vehicles. Develop a better structure to increase employee work/personal life balance. Increase employee morale and happiness in the workplace - making pay high isn't the only aspect. Benefits need to be better.

5. "Administrator"

Pros

Salary rate, busy environment, friendly co workers.

Cons

Management, employee turn over, and lack of training.

6. "Fruits of Labor"

Former Employee - Sales and Service Representative in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Sales and Service Representative in Malvern, PA

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can take initiative and work more hours, make more sales, create your own wealth.

Cons

Too much time spent off the road, training, learning, preparing. Not easy to make money reciprocating the long hours worked.

Advice to Management

Restructure compensation structure to make it more merit based. Pay for weekly safety training, give more support to on road drivers to keep them moving.

"Welcome back to High School!"

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay with mandatory overtime. Offer health benefits if you can afford them.

Cons

Management is the WORST I have ever dealt with!!! Will put you in danger to save branch dollars. Equipment breaks down regularly. Extreme favoritism! Bring bosses food, gossip instead of work, and get promoted! They take local jobs away from locals by firing hard local workers and importing their buddies from elsewhere. Safety Kleen will put your integrity on the line, and make u drive faulty or expired equipment, risking your license, with no regard because there is no risk to theirs. Middle micromanagement spends more time and money going to lunch, getting buddy hair cuts, and buddy shopping with company credit cards than working appreciating or acknowledging issues or hard work! Nothing but broken promises, and lies to spend company money, and cover their own tails! RUN AWAY! Save yourself the hassle!

Advice to Management

Where to begin?...For starters, reward the workers not the gossipers, and don't believe everything you hear. Worse than teenage girls! Also, keep your workers safe and listen!

"Management will push you HARD for monthly Quota."

Former Employee - Driver in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Driver in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers! Ok Pay based on position. The Benefits are ok if you're healthy along with your family. Ok working trucks. The best part is ALWAYS the co-workers. At the end of the day they tell you all kinds stories about their day...it's very interacting and entertaining!

Cons

Management! They want ALOT from you. Listen...there's maybe 6-8 Representative Drivers, and 4-6 Oil Drivers. If those drivers and reps don't hit their quota, then some WILL MANDATORY WORK ON SATURDAYS. Management WILL push that on you, and at times bully you and say.."Well then you might be somewhere else on Monday." or "Just get it done..ok?".
    I had to take care of my son some Saturdays, and Management would try to get me out of taking care of my son. Wow....Work over Family....
    If you're going to work for this company(at this branch), and you're hired..ask around about how management is. At times you may not even need to ask, management will show their own conduct, and the way they speak down to their hardworking employees.

If you have a sick child with a terminal illness,(which I do), the insurance isn't that good. You will have to pay alot for medicine over the counter.

Advice to Management

Don't matter, Management won't listen...even the Higher ups won't listen.
    If you have a complaint against management, and call Regional, the people in regional will just call the management of the branch and say..."I heard this and that....so..just take an easy eh?"
    No action = No changes = Same management conduct..

9. "Commission Payments"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Weekends off and insurance benefits

Cons

The right hand does not know what the left hand is doing, be prepared to live on credit cards until your pay is fixed several pay periods later!! No 401K match which the employer neglects to tell you up front.

Advice to Management

Customers like to see the same individual or face and build relationships. This in turn results to higher sales results, turnover is costly not only to the customer but the company. If you cant pay your people correctly then a class action lawsuit should be filed. Applicants beware, you will be hammered to produce but upper management has no care or concern whether payouts are accurate...

10. "Great Company"

Current Employee - General Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - General Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Safety-Kleen full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You can make it what you want it to be-- great or awful! Tons of opportunity for the taking. Its what you make of it.

Cons

Upper management could be more understanding of the issues in the trenches if they knew what they were.

Advice to Management

Get in the trenches.

"Branch Manager"

Current Employee - Branch General Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Branch General Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Safety-Kleen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Environmental work is rewarding, good hard working people at the branches, working with customers

Cons

Upper Management! They have no clue what is going on and everyone is so busy covering their rear or kissing Alan McKims' that no one can make an informed decision. All they are doing is throwing programs that are not well thought out to the field to execute hoping that something makes them look good while overworking the people carrying the company. Good people are leaving everyday because of the decisions 6 people are making. Not much to say about the level below these 6 either.

Advice to Management

Wake up and quit trying to make yourself look good. Morale is down and people do not like their job anymore and it's all because of you. Listen to the field, improve benefits and realize the workload you are putting on the branches.