Safety-Kleen Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 28, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jerry E. Correll

Pros
  • Great co-workers who worked well together (in 4 reviews)

• The Medical Benefits are very good since we been on with Clean Harbors (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Since Clean Harbors bought Safety Kleen, its been down hill (in 25 reviews)

• Not easy to make money reciprocating the long hours worked (in 16 reviews)

"Biggest Problem is..."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Few pros, maybe the money ....to a point.

Cons

Many cons. 55-60 hours a week and a sales management team that sincerely believes the $65k a year is GREAT pay for the amount of nonsense and hours they put you through. Biggest issue is that it is former truck drivers in key management positions throughout the organization. They don't take advice and believe the same "blitz" mentality from the good old days still works. Ended 401k match and pay plan changed 2-3 times per year. When management sees that commission payouts aren't trending their way and they think they are paying out to much... Boom... they keep you down financially. No problem paying themselves the big yearly bonus though. Additionally, the Sales Managers have become paper and email shufflers... job security is creating another weekly report for sales people to do. Not one time in my many years there did a sales manager visit one of my accounts on his own and actually sell something. Mind boggling. Classic management philosophy of " Ready... Fire...Aim".

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, they see the ones actually in the field speaking with customers and doing the job. Your once a month ride alongs aren't really helpful.

"Lost In Mgmt"

Former Employee - Pricing Analyst in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Pricing Analyst in Plano, TX

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good and talented employees. Teams I interacted with on non-mgmt level worked well together. Benefits package was great and matching 401k.

Cons

Management was more of do as I say, not as I do. Buddy system and true promotion of friends. I was moved into another dept and my pay raise was never applied. I was told to talked to my Manager but the position was vacant. I needed to wait until it was filled. I left before it was.

Advice to Management

Back up what you say to employees and the commitments you make or talented employees will continue to walk out the door.

3. "Fruits of Labor"

Former Employee - Sales and Service Representative in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Sales and Service Representative in Malvern, PA

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can take initiative and work more hours, make more sales, create your own wealth.

Cons

Too much time spent off the road, training, learning, preparing. Not easy to make money reciprocating the long hours worked.

Advice to Management

Restructure compensation structure to make it more merit based. Pay for weekly safety training, give more support to on road drivers to keep them moving.

"Management will push you HARD for monthly Quota."

Former Employee - Driver in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Driver in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers! Ok Pay based on position. The Benefits are ok if you're healthy along with your family. Ok working trucks. The best part is ALWAYS the co-workers. At the end of the day they tell you all kinds stories about their day...it's very interacting and entertaining!

Cons

Management! They want ALOT from you. Listen...there's maybe 6-8 Representative Drivers, and 4-6 Oil Drivers. If those drivers and reps don't hit their quota, then some WILL MANDATORY WORK ON SATURDAYS. Management WILL push that on you, and at times bully you and say.."Well then you might be somewhere else on Monday." or "Just get it done..ok?".
    I had to take care of my son some Saturdays, and Management would try to get me out of taking care of my son. Wow....Work over Family....
    If you're going to work for this company(at this branch), and you're hired..ask around about how management is. At times you may not even need to ask, management will show their own conduct, and the way they speak down to their hardworking employees.

If you have a sick child with a terminal illness,(which I do), the insurance isn't that good. You will have to pay alot for medicine over the counter.

Advice to Management

Don't matter, Management won't listen...even the Higher ups won't listen.
    If you have a complaint against management, and call Regional, the people in regional will just call the management of the branch and say..."I heard this and that....so..just take an easy eh?"
    No action = No changes = Same management conduct..

"Pointless Traning"

Former Employee - RC Operations Specialist in Dolton, IL
    Former Employee - RC Operations Specialist in Dolton, IL

I worked at Safety-Kleen (More than a year)

Pros

Great for newcomers of the hazardous waste industry. Plenty of hours to work. Safe work environment. Room to learn about multiple positions within plant.

Cons

Newcomers are expected to know how to use equipment before being trained. Lack of communication between front office & warehouse operators. Forced training that takes you nowhere.

Advice to Management

Hold shift leaders accountable for missed weekly goals. Extend lunch breaks for higher productivity. Allow more experienced operators to grow and kill the seniority culture. Establish a liaison between management and minority workers to keep hostility low. HIRE MORE MINORITIES!

"It was great until the Clean Harbors take over"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I worked at Safety-Kleen (More than 5 years)

Pros

By the time I left, I can think of no pros.

Cons

I used to love my job. Sure, I had a tough manager with high expectations. Sure, I was a little underpaid, but I was happy. The "management" of our department was moved to massachusetts, and they seemed not to care, honestly, about the customers, the safety-kleen name, or about keeping business. There were reports due weekly, more work than one person could possibly keep up with, and zero appreciation. Zero. Long story short, if I still loved my job, I wouldn't have left for a job 20 miles further away from my house.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to management other than to fire the management and bring in people who care.

7. "lots of hours"

Former Employee - Market Sales Specialist in Poway, CA
    Former Employee - Market Sales Specialist in Poway, CA

I worked at Safety-Kleen (More than a year)

Pros

decent pay ... good co workers

Cons

stress , very structured , management average at best to poor , 50 plus hours a week

"I would compare my last 5 years of 22 like pounding my head with a hammer."

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1987-1998 were great years. After '98 it went in the toilet. From the CEO down to the middle management it became a train wreck and from what I hear from friends it remains that way today under Clean Harbors.

Cons

The experience made me appreciate my next employer even that much more. There is no pressure to great that I can not handle. Feeling appreciated is valued as much as pay.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to either find your replacement or continue the downslide into a black hole you can never leave.

"Clean Harbors has brought SK to its knees!"

Current Employee - Can't Say Or They Will Know Who I Am : ( in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Can't Say Or They Will Know Who I Am : ( in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Safety-Kleen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's better than nothing
    You get paid regularly.
    Covered parking

Cons

Too heavy at the top - Don't need THAT many VP's
    Upper mgmt. can spend money unrestricted...the rest of us have to abide by strict budgets
    No raises in three years.
    Constant headcount reductions
    Management doesn't reward those that work hardest.
    Good ole boy mentality. If you aren't in upper management, you are not appreciated.

Advice to Management

Upper management is rewarded with bonus' every year while the rest of us wait in hopes of getting a measly raise. Three years now and nada! Get rid of the dead weight! Lots of people with VP, SVP and EVP in their title has let it go to their heads. They fight over corner offices like they are in Jr. High! Try showing some appreciation for the little people that got you where you are.

"OK to work there"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Safety-Kleen full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people
    OK place to work
    No weekends
    No holidays
    Good money if you like to sell your soul to the devil

Cons

Bad boss
    Old boys club
    If you are not in the old boy's club they will run you out of the places

Advice to Management

Get new boss at branchs