Safety National Reviews | Glassdoor

Mark A. Wilhelm

1. "Safety National"

Former Employee - Underwriting Assistant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Underwriting Assistant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Safety National full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company offers average benefits, employee and family oreiented

Cons

lack of communication between not only management and employees, but between departments

2. "NSC review"

Former Employee - Safety Specialist in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Safety Specialist in Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at Safety National full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely knowledgeable of Department of Transportation regulations

Cons

Pay is low for industry standards

Advice to Management

Make pay commensurate to job

"If you can stick here, you can probably make more money elsewhere"

I worked at Safety National (Less than a year)

Pros

They mean well. They do try to take care of their employees and the benefits package is very generous. If you stick, you can expect to stay until retirement.

Cons

Turnover is absurdly high. It often takes six months to really become an impact performer but this company won't give you six months. The hiring process is slow and intrusive and the pay is generally lower than you'll find elsewhere for comparable work. If you feel like you're being watched really closely, it's because you are. Taking care of personal business during the day is frowned upon, even if it's the occasional text message or five-minute phone call.

Advice to Management

People will make mistakes sometimes, so the goal isn't to eliminate people who make mistakes but to identify people who can learn from their mistakes and perform better in the future. Someone who is one mistake away from being fired is more likely to make a mistake.

"DBA"

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Safety National full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Safety has a pledge statement that describes culture: major pts include integrity, relationship, team work, work life balance. I've observed these principles in action: collaboration, teamwork, integrity. The company provides numerous opportunities to live out these principles by participating in various community outreach organizations.
    - People are very kind, approachable, easy to work with. This is by far the most impressive aspect I've noticed that's different than most of the other companies I worked with. I enjoy hanging around with many of them after work.
    - Use latest technology: We're using latest version of SQL Server.
    - I'm surrounded by lots of smart, dedicated people
    - Nice medical, dental and other benefits/perks
    - 37.5 hrs/week
    - On-site fitness center with showers

Cons

- In IT, most work in an open-environment which is ideal for collaboration but sometimes hard to concentrate.
    - Lots to learn in the insurance industry, wish there was a book or faster way to "learn the business". Hard to figure out these older legacy systems.

"Great company, poor software development"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Safety National full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a great company to be a part of in general. Competitive compensation and benefits. Fun, friendly, and entertaining people to work with. Frequent company-sponsored outings. A 37.5 hour work week. On-premise ping-pong table, shuffleboard table, fitness area, and locker rooms. A doughnut fairy occasionally makes boxes of doughnuts magically appear.

Cons

Being a software developer there is frustrating and unproductive. As mentioned by a previous review, I fear God has killed a kitten due to my actions. I only wish I had heeded the warning, such that I may not have doomed another kitten to such a sad fate.

Depending on the team, being able to concentrate on anything may require constant use of noise-cancelling headphones to block out a small number of incredibly (and seemingly intentionally so) distracting coworkers.

Those guiding software development seem to be either incompetent developers who write poor (buggy, slow, fragile, and unmaintainable) code; insane self-righteous developers who work well with no one, reject all best practices because they didn't invent them, and format their code in the least readable way possible (such as lines that are 400+ characters wide and vast whitespace where there ought not be any whitespace); or managers that are too clueless to realize there are any problems.

It appears that a certain upper-level IT employee is a huge fan of nepotism.

There is very high turnover of IT (and in particular software development) employees.

Some stakeholders are apparently incapable of understanding the consequences of scope creep, and will repeatedly demand additional functionality in the first release of a product. They are then somehow surprised when the date of the first release is repeatedly delayed.

There was, on occasion, strong pressure to work 12 hour days to try to meet unreasonable release dates. Guilt trips galore. Unfortunately, most developers seemed to be convinced to work those hours by bribes

For every minute that they work, developers must "clock in" and "clock out" to charge their time to specific tasks. That is, presumably, so that management can view accurate reports on what developers spend their time on. If a developer spends time on anything other than a development task (such as daily stand-ups, training sessions, or a "team-building" ping-pong tournament), that time is just charged to a random task. That is, presumably, the least accurate way to track what developers spend their time on.

Advice to Management

Replace yourselves with IT managers who have more knowledge about what it takes for software development to be productive and successful.

7. "Great"

Pros

It's a great place to work

Cons

It could take a while to advance

"Training Ground"

Pros

Nice building.
    If you don't have any IT experience, this is the place to gain experience so that you can go somewhere else.

Cons

IT salaries are below market rate.
    Incompetent upper management.
    Lot of staff turn overs.

Advice to Management

Get a clue!

"Great Underwriting Atmosphere."

Current Employee - Underwriter in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Safety National full-time

Pros

Safety National has been great to work for. Just so I can easily summarize my thoughts, I'll make a list:
    1) Pay is above industry average commensurate with your experience.
    2) Health insurance and retirement are pretty run of the mill, but health care is free for employees and kids, and they give you $2,000 annually to apply to your $3,000 (if you pay your $1,000 first).
    3) There is virtually no micro-management. People are never checking over your shoulder, or bugging you about stuff.
    4) Cash bonuses for designations.
    5) 4% Christmas bonus.
    6) Vacation homes for employees to use (for free!).
    7) Business casual dress with frequent jeans days.
    8) Catered lunches at least once a month.
    9) A work from home option seems to be coming soon (?).
    10) Free soda all day erry day (but it's Pepsi, so take that for what it's worth).
    11) An excellent training program.
    12) A bunch of other good stuff, I've most likely become used to and take for granted.

Cons

During peak times, things get a little crazy. I worked several 60-70 hour work weeks this year (during December and June).

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. The employees appreciate all the stuff you do - even the little things.

"Where they lack in ethics they make up for in nepotism and lies"

Former Employee - Lead IT Clown in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Lead IT Clown in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Safety National full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best thing about the company is that you can quit

Cons

Management have no education or experience and hired based on family and friends of higher management. Idiots hired to power struggle over each other. Anyone with more than an associates should look elsewhere for employment.

Have very high turnover. They hire 4 people at a time hoping 1 stays. With such outdated technology and inexperienced uneducated management their IS team will never get caught up to modern day.

For every honest negative review on here they require an employee to mock up a fake review. I was asked to, I didn't, I then got "released".

Pride themselves on work life balance yet expect you to work 12 hr days with no comp time or pay.

They created core values that are used against them as a joke. Honesty, not one manager has ran a department without adhering to the games and lies of higher management. Teamwork, because everyone quits you spend all your time meeting people and watching them leave than actually working. In 3 months, teams changed 6 times with no work delivered. Balance, work 15 hour days for crap pay. Integrity, a brief look into any managers actions will show unethical, very questionable harassment covered up by more lies. Stability, they are stable professional liars.

Advice to Management

Grow up and run a respectable company based on real core values.

11. "Promising Company"

Former Employee - Technical Writer -- Contract in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Technical Writer -- Contract in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Safety National full-time

Pros

Great management styles, relaxed work environment, lots of events to make the employees feel appreciated. I was glad to have learned some technical writing skills along the way.

Cons

I don't think there was enough for me to do. They may have hired me without needing me full-time.

Advice to Management

None. Management was always great.