Safeway Canada Assistant Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Assistant Manager

Create your profile to get personalized information

Safeway Canada Assistant Manager Reviews

Updated Aug 29, 2017

2.2
Safeway Canada President and COO Chuck Mulvenna
Chuck Mulvenna
  1. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Safeway Canada full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great medical benefits ,

Cons

No consistency in hours . This is not ideal for a family especially if you are a female in the workforce with young kids at home . Maybe transferred to any store at anytime and travel time could be far. Example I had to drive almost two extra hours a day in and out of work for two years the company finally transferred me but now it was only a 10 minute savings I my travel.

Advice to Management

Locate female employees closer to home with young children.

Safeway Canada2017-08-29
  2. "Good company to work"

Assistant Category Manager in Calgary, AB

I worked at Safeway Canada

Pros

Good company for entry level job seekers. You learn a lot as you work along with seniors. Good chances to switch between departments in year or so. If you are working as Temp there are chances to became Permanent if you perform well.

Cons

Salary wise they do not pay much being a retail company. Not much options outside Calgary if you are working at headoffice.

Advice to Management

Salary structure should be decided based on the candidate skills, qualification and experience. As well as his performance for 1 year incentives should given with decent incremental.

Safeway Canada2017-01-17
  3. "Assistant manager"

Assistant Manager in Calgary, AB

I worked at Safeway Canada

Pros

Very much responsibility, very demanding and exhausting job because of scheduling shortages of hours and workers in one shift. Assistant manager basically one more worker for all departments wis some administration job also

Cons

Be careful lifting, pulling and working with equipment because it's expected that you know the right way

Advice to Management

Value your workers, be flexible and patience

Safeway Canada2016-11-23

"who you know"

Assistant Manager in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Safeway Canada

Pros

Decent benifits, good vacation time starting out.

Cons

So much micro-managment they forgot to spend money on staff needed to do the job. Split unions in departments. Non union and union managment.

Advice to Management

Take responsibility for your actions instead of passing the buck to protect your job.

Safeway Canada2015-11-02
  5. "(I worked in the Starbucks at Safeway) I was always stressed and staff changed constantly"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Prince Albert, SK

I worked at Safeway Canada full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Learning to make drinks is fun -Getting to know the regular customers is fun -Talking to customers is also fun - You can experiment making new drinks when you have free time -I worked fulltime so I got really good benefits (through safeway) -You got 10% off SAFEWAY BRAND items (if you can call that a pro lol)

Cons

-YOU DON'T GET FREE DRINKS OR SNACKS ON YOUR BREAKS (unlike the corporate stores) -Training was bad because the kiosks are so tiny -If it's busy you're never able to talk a break - You have to abide by Safeways dresscode (No funky hair or tattoos or anything to make you stand out as unique) - You don't really get enough time in the day to open and close the booth - You also may have a hard time getting it cleaned especially when it's really busy - Most people don't get trained properly - No one uses the timers to tell when stuff goes bad (ITS MANDATORY) ex. 20 minute Coffee timers, coffee can often be left in the containers for hours and it's supposed to be changed every 20 minutes. -When training you can feel very pressured to make things when it's busy. - They usually hire high schoolers and often times they don't show up, fool around or steal. -When customers mention the "Secret Menu" and get mad when we tell them it doesn't exist. -When customers get mad because we don't do birthday drinks - Safeway Starbucks' don't do the email deals Starbucks sends out so you have to pay full price all the time. -You get your Safeway training off old computers from the 80's/90's with outdated videos and questions. - I never got my raise for being a "Certified Barista" (I was already certified when I started) so for a year I was making about $10.20 (Certified Baristas start at $11.75) - When I became the Assistant Manager I never got a raise... - When you try stand your ground (and when its in the rules) but a manager says otherwise you get laughed at and you can't talk to HR because they are best friends with them. ****The deli is supposed to deal with their chairs/tables but they are "so busy" that starbucks is often left having to clean them off after the lunch rushes and at the end of the day**** I worked at a Safeway Starbucks in another city and it was ran 100 times better than this one. Store Manager was always trying to blame others for his problems and it was often stressful because you'd be in his office and he'd be looking for everyone to feel sorry for him.

Advice to Management

Open up a corporate store in Cornerstone and I will definitely start working there again. Be more generous with the raises if you want to keep employees Give benefits faster Get updated computers and training videos

Safeway Canada2014-10-21
  6. "ok is you're on Management"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Safeway Canada full-time

Pros

lots of room for growth/opportunities if you are with management

Cons

working more than what you should if you want to be on management and lots of unhappy people

Safeway Canada2013-11-29
  7. "Awesome"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Safeway Canada full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Best group of people you could ask for

Cons

Shift work is shift work

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Safeway Canada2013-11-07
  8. "Work hard get far"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Safeway Canada full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

GREAT advancement opportunity to those who want it.

Cons

Staffing hours given by company

Advice to Management

Give the stores more hours.

Safeway Canada2012-07-10