Safeway Canada Deli Clerk Reviews | Glassdoor

Safeway Canada Deli Clerk Reviews

Updated Dec 3, 2019

Safeway Canada President and COO Chuck Mulvenna
Chuck Mulvenna
  1. "Poor employee Treatment"

Former Employee - Deli Clerk

I worked at Safeway Canada part-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of hours Tasty deli food

Cons

Management has no interest in lower level employees, treats people poorly

Safeway Canada2019-12-03
  2. "Horrible"

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Coquitlam, BC

I worked at Safeway Canada full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are no positive aspects

Cons

Long hours Heirarchy Rude manager and coworkers Union fees

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect and consideration and they might actually want to stay

Safeway Canada2019-05-17
  3. "Do yourself a favor and just avoid the deli."

Former Employee - Deli Clerk

I worked at Safeway Canada part-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy to get the job. Mostly friendly coworkers. Basic training is good. Pay is very slightly above minimum wage with good increases. Looks good on resume. If you ever want to return, you're put down as a "rehire" which makes it very easy to return to the company.

Cons

Scheduling is a nightmare, following absolutely no pattern with no planning on the worker's part. If you're put on the work schedule but need to change it, you're out of luck with few exceptions. Safety protocol is non-existent (respirator equipment for use with toxic oven cleaner was not provided after 1 month of requests). Beyond basic training (slicer cleaning, dishwashing), you're very much on your own. Several different "correct" methods to do some tasks, leaving me to be scolded by several senior coworkers for not doing it "right" and needing to be "retrained" by them while on the job. Deli management and the store's 1st assistant manager attempted to terminate me for several things I was never trained on or was never instructed to avoid, as well as "not improving my performance based on coworker's complaints" (complaints I didn't know existed until my termination), which left me in unpaid limbo for 3 weeks while the union got my job back. Understaffed often. Brand new employees were expected to close the department alone with little to no guidance. Some senior coworkers abused the coworkers they were training while department management watched on.

Advice to Management

If you get dozens of transfers a year out of the deli, but never into the deli, you have a problem you need to fix.

Safeway Canada2017-05-27
  4. "Deli Clerk"

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Safeway Canada part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Employee benefit program, helpful management , work culture, Safety program, product quality, customer always right

Cons

Long standing working condition, stressful, short of employees some times, multitasking always

Advice to Management

Please don't cut hours

Safeway Canada2017-01-31
  5. "Worst experience of my life; don't work here!"

Deli Clerk in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Safeway Canada for more than a year

Pros

-Coworkers are generally pretty nice and helpful. They are what makes the job bearable. -Most customers are kind people and the really friendly ones can make your day. It's nice to have people genuinely smile at you. -It's unionized. -Always hiring, even in the bad economy. They will literally take anyone. If you're in dire straits, then you can work for minimum wage and not freeze to death while you wait for even McDonalds or Walmart to give you a call.

Cons

Where to begin... long rant ahead. -Training was awful. They sent me to a store 20km away from the store I was to be employed at, which was ridiculous. The trainer was a nasty sexiest woman who took pleasure in knocking people down and then kicking them while they were down there. She only critiqued women who were training (particularly overweight women) and either ignored questions or got angry when you did ask. She wanted people to jump in with only a minute or two maximum of instruction, but if people made mistakes, she chewed them out. All-in-all, it was a miserable experience to be involved in. There were times I felt like throwing my uniform in the trash and quitting in a fantastical manner and this was only the first week. It got worse from here. --You get treated much the same in your store (although your supervisor is unlikely to be as bad as the cruel egomaniacs that they have who do the training), only you're expected to do much more without ever asking for guidance. -They expect you to know everything very early on (think within ten minutes of your first training day) and to not make any mistakes or inconvenience people by asking for assistance, particularly one-on-one assistance. -They tell you to ask questions when you need help, but often times they ignore you. -You work on your own very early on which is incredibly stressful -The pay is terrible, there are no benefits, and the hours are really long. -It hurts to be on your feet all day. -Company rules and policies about things like earrings and other piercings, tattoos, hair colour, scruff and beards, social media, etc. are ridiculous and outdated. Having to believe in the brand without ever critically discussing it is incredibly wrong. No wonder safeway is losing tons of customers to Walmart. -The store and breakroom are outdated; the lockers are all busted (and thus there are no safe places to store valuables), there are no windows, the chairs are uncomfortable, small and crowded fridge, etc. -Management uses secret shoppers which is a really nasty thing to do, particularly to new employees who are just learning. I've seen people sobbing in the washroom from this treatment. It sucks to tell them about this practice that the company denies but clearly does. Most of these people quit within a month which results in extremely high rates of turnover and resulted in even more stress. -Mean customers who act like you exist to wait on them hand, foot, and finger. Thankfully this is rare; you might get one person like this out of fifty during an eight hour shift. -The store is dirty; greasy floors in the deli area (so bad that I almost slipped even with brand new non-skid shoes with grip tape on them) with tons of garbage on them and on the counters. Handwashing and proper glove procedure is rarely enforced and when you inadvertently make a hygiene mistake (which could have been prevented with proper reinforcement early on) that someone notices, they will be harsh in their treatment of you, be it a know-it-all customer or lazy supervisors who pick that one moment to humiliate you in front of others. -They throw out a ton of food and keep the ovens on 24/7 which is terrible for the environment. No matter what I said, they were never willing to look at alternatives. -Things were very disorganized. The clock in machine rejected people half the time, the schedule varied like crazy, there were always either too many or too few people working. There were never enough medium and large sized gloves. Breaks tended to be at random times and varied from shift to shift. Always tons of turnover which makes keeping up hard. Can't see the labels on the products which means that people who don't or can't memorize what products look like constantly have to ask customers for help which can be very annoying for them. -This is petty, but the uniform is ugly and uncomfortable. I got a rash from where the seam rubbed my shoulder.

Advice to Management

-Actually have proper training. Let people make mistakes and learn. People were terrified of making mistakes and being publically humiliated as the trainer was cruel, particularly towards the heavier women in the group. Don't train four or five people at the sametime and expect them to pick something up from a minute of verbal and visual instruction and be able to jump in without feeling afraid or requiring help. People will need lots of help early on as deli has a lot of things to do and become comfortable with. Realistically, people are going to be nervous as heck their first month or two (and they'll be even worse during training) and need firm orders and directives until they can jump in unprompted with confidence and without needing any help. It takes time to get into a groove; to figure out the general placement of objects, learn about food prep and temperatures, and feel comfortable around food and customers. Hands-on, distraction-free training (customer service training should be the last thing to do as it's the thing that comes most naturally and thus needs the least attention) with one other person would be the best way to train people in deli (and probably bakery as well but I've never worked there to know for sure). -Related to the above, don't have a trainer who can be so mean that they make people cry from constant criticism (and don't fire them for crying and being stressed out! Sometimes people get overwhelmed and cry; comfort them, let them feel what they feel, and then encourage them to move on from whatever thing overwhelmed them and help them create strategies to avoid the event from happening in the future). My trainer made three of the four women in our group cry from her cruel and overly harsh criticism and favouritism of the only male trainee. Something is rotten in safeway and it isn't the nasty deli foods. The young man training with us was a far better trainer that the actual trainer and he only had six months of experience at a small diner. -Don't use secret shoppers, particularly on new employees who are prone to making mistakes and getting flustered when confronted. This really doesn't prove anything about the skills of the employees. -Actually recognize that people have different sized hands and make sure to have different sized gloves that are actually easy to slip on. From the first moment of training, actually enforce proper hygiene procedures. It was so easy for all of us new employees (three years or less) to fall into bad habits like rubbing your chin or eyes with your wrist, picking up stuff from the floor, etc. -Recognize that the environment is damaged by your food practices. I'm disgusted with myself that I was compliant in this. Make changes that help the earth!! -Abide by workers rights; we all have a right to work in a clean and safe store with a working time clock and a place to put our lunch and valuables. We have a right to be trained until we feel comfortable, particularly for employees who are new Canadians or for employees who present mental health concerns. We have a right to be treated with kindness, patience, and respect and to not be afraid of asking questions or for help. We have a right to refuse work that makes us feel unsafe, even if this is frustrating for the experienced deli members. -Go back in time thirty years and think about everything that has gone wrong since. Business is dying here for a reason. Walmart and Superstore and Costco all do the things safeway doesn't; have affordable prices with decent quality products. -Fire the sexist sack of garbage employee who trained people. She's trained for nearly a decade and turnover in the city has increased exponentially according to long-term employees at my old store.

Safeway Canada2016-08-31
  6. "Deli clerk"

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Safeway Canada part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good people to work with depending on your store. Easy job

Cons

Sometimes customers can be rude, but for the most part its a very easy job.

Safeway Canada2015-09-25
  7. "Coworkers make it a enjoyable job."

Deli Clerk in West Vancouver, BC

I worked at Safeway Canada

Pros

separate e-auction available for employees only. Co-Workers are the best part of the job. The store I worked at closed at 9:00pm on weekdays + Saturday's and on Sunday's in closed at 7:00pm so you where never there super late .

Cons

VERY short staffed in the deli department, they change the schedule very often so you have to check it every shift because they might have added you a new one or taken one away from you. There's no discount at all.

Advice to Management

Hire more people in the deli, and figure out why there are so many people quitting in such a short amount of time, I got hired with 3 other people and all 3 off us have already quit. Worked there for about 2 months and the whole time they had a "now hiring sign for a deli clerk" that's how short staffed we where

Safeway Canada2015-09-13

"great job overall"

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Port Coquitlam, BC

I have been working at Safeway Canada part-time for more than a year

Pros

good pay for a newbie, fun experience, friendly staff, learn alot of stuff

Cons

tiring, not given enough breaks, no discounts for employees, cant choose hours

Safeway Canada2015-07-17
  9. "Deli Clerk"

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Calgary, AB

I worked at Safeway Canada full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, lots of small pay raises. If you have a good manager you will enjoy your job. Benefits and union atmosphere.

Cons

Working in a deli can be hard physical labor. This may be a location specific problem but there was a lot of inappropriate flirting between staff members.

Advice to Management

Keep tabs on employee interactions, especially in front of customers. Practical jokes are not workplace appropriate. Again, this is probably location specific.

Safeway Canada2015-05-26
  10. "takes care of their employees"

I worked at Safeway Canada part-time

Pros

management is on your side if you do your job right. adjusting for shifts. good training provided and available to help.

Cons

not many hours. can't move up the ladder fast because some people been working for 20+ years. you do get a raise every now and then, but job title remains the same.

Safeway Canada2014-11-23