Safeway Canada "no benefits" Reviews | Glassdoor

Safeway Canada Employee Reviews about "no benefits"

Updated May 26, 2019

3.2
Safeway Canada CEO Chuck Mulvenna
Chuck Mulvenna
Pros
  • "good pay, not much stress, unionized(in 14 reviews)

• "Safeway is unionized, didn't require previous experience(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lack of hours for part-time employees(in 17 reviews)

• "No benefits for part time people(in 10 reviews)

Reviews about "no benefits"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Bad"

I worked at Safeway Canada part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nothing is good, other than maybe scheduling they give u time off when u ask most of the time

Cons

Bady pay, no benefits, union takes everything, treated like garbage

Safeway Canada2019-05-27
  2. "clerk"

I have been working at Safeway Canada part-time

Pros

flexible hours good environment ability to transfer

Cons

no benefits inconsistent part time hours

Safeway Canada2019-03-15
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Cashier"

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Port Coquitlam, BC

I have been working at Safeway Canada part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Hours are flexible - Great Staff & Management

Cons

- When you are part time you are unable to pick your hours to work - You are required to work at least 2 closing shifts - No benefits for part time people - With all the closures of the Safeway stores people are losing their jobs that are newly hired & others are getting demoted which I do not think is fair - Since Sobeys took over it has gone down hill

Advice to Management

I have no problem with management they are alway been pleasant with me

Safeway Canada2018-03-17
  5. "Cashier"

Safeway Cashier in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Safeway Canada for less than a year

Pros

Good hours Staff are friendly The environment in general is warm and friendly

Cons

No benefits for entry level workers

Safeway Canada2017-08-12
  6. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Cashier in Burnaby, BC

I have been working at Safeway Canada part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Flexible Scheduling - Nice people to work with

Cons

- No Benefits what so ever

Advice to Management

GIVE EMPLOYEES BENEFIT

Safeway Canada2017-07-11
  7. "Not recommended"

Former Employee - Cashier in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Safeway Canada part-time

Pros

It's easy to get a job there.

Cons

- No benefits before 12 moths of employment. - Costumers are disrespectful. - They don't train you enough so you make many mistakes in the beginning and that Durant help as the costumers are already disrespectful and inpatient. - They are disorganized, you don't even get to meet your manager. - Long hours working in a standing position.

Advice to Management

Resign and CEO should hire new managers.

Safeway Canada2016-11-05
  8. "Worst experience of my life; don't work here!"

Deli Clerk in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Safeway Canada for more than a year

Pros

-Coworkers are generally pretty nice and helpful. They are what makes the job bearable. -Most customers are kind people and the really friendly ones can make your day. It's nice to have people genuinely smile at you. -It's unionized. -Always hiring, even in the bad economy. They will literally take anyone. If you're in dire straits, then you can work for minimum wage and not freeze to death while you... wait for even McDonalds or Walmart to give you a call.

Cons

Where to begin... long rant ahead. -Training was awful. They sent me to a store 20km away from the store I was to be employed at, which was ridiculous. The trainer was a nasty sexiest woman who took pleasure in knocking people down and then kicking them while they were down there. She only critiqued women who were training (particularly overweight women) and either ignored questions or got angry when you did... ask. She wanted people to jump in with only a minute or two maximum of instruction, but if people made mistakes, she chewed them out. All-in-all, it was a miserable experience to be involved in. There were times I felt like throwing my uniform in the trash and quitting in a fantastical manner and this was only the first week. It got worse from here. --You get treated much the same in your store (although your supervisor is unlikely to be as bad as the cruel egomaniacs that they have who do the training), only you're expected to do much more without ever asking for guidance. -They expect you to know everything very early on (think within ten minutes of your first training day) and to not make any mistakes or inconvenience people by asking for assistance, particularly one-on-one assistance. -They tell you to ask questions when you need help, but often times they ignore you. -You work on your own very early on which is incredibly stressful -The pay is terrible, there are no benefits, and the hours are really long. -It hurts to be on your feet all day. -Company rules and policies about things like earrings and other piercings, tattoos, hair colour, scruff and beards, social media, etc. are ridiculous and outdated. Having to believe in the brand without ever critically discussing it is incredibly wrong. No wonder safeway is losing tons of customers to Walmart. -The store and breakroom are outdated; the lockers are all busted (and thus there are no safe places to store valuables), there are no windows, the chairs are uncomfortable, small and crowded fridge, etc. -Management uses secret shoppers which is a really nasty thing to do, particularly to new employees who are just learning. I've seen people sobbing in the washroom from this treatment. It sucks to tell them about this practice that the company denies but clearly does. Most of these people quit within a month which results in extremely high rates of turnover and resulted in even more stress. -Mean customers who act like you exist to wait on them hand, foot, and finger. Thankfully this is rare; you might get one person like this out of fifty during an eight hour shift. -The store is dirty; greasy floors in the deli area (so bad that I almost slipped even with brand new non-skid shoes with grip tape on them) with tons of garbage on them and on the counters. Handwashing and proper glove procedure is rarely enforced and when you inadvertently make a hygiene mistake (which could have been prevented with proper reinforcement early on) that someone notices, they will be harsh in their treatment of you, be it a know-it-all customer or lazy supervisors who pick that one moment to humiliate you in front of others. -They throw out a ton of food and keep the ovens on 24/7 which is terrible for the environment. No matter what I said, they were never willing to look at alternatives. -Things were very disorganized. The clock in machine rejected people half the time, the schedule varied like crazy, there were always either too many or too few people working. There were never enough medium and large sized gloves. Breaks tended to be at random times and varied from shift to shift. Always tons of turnover which makes keeping up hard. Can't see the labels on the products which means that people who don't or can't memorize what products look like constantly have to ask customers for help which can be very annoying for them. -This is petty, but the uniform is ugly and uncomfortable. I got a rash from where the seam rubbed my shoulder.

Advice to Management

-Actually have proper training. Let people make mistakes and learn. People were terrified of making mistakes and being publically humiliated as the trainer was cruel, particularly towards the heavier women in the group. Don't train four or five people at the sametime and expect them to pick something up from a minute of verbal and visual instruction and be able to jump in without feeling afraid or requiring help.... People will need lots of help early on as deli has a lot of things to do and become comfortable with. Realistically, people are going to be nervous as heck their first month or two (and they'll be even worse during training) and need firm orders and directives until they can jump in unprompted with confidence and without needing any help. It takes time to get into a groove; to figure out the general placement of objects, learn about food prep and temperatures, and feel comfortable around food and customers. Hands-on, distraction-free training (customer service training should be the last thing to do as it's the thing that comes most naturally and thus needs the least attention) with one other person would be the best way to train people in deli (and probably bakery as well but I've never worked there to know for sure). -Related to the above, don't have a trainer who can be so mean that they make people cry from constant criticism (and don't fire them for crying and being stressed out! Sometimes people get overwhelmed and cry; comfort them, let them feel what they feel, and then encourage them to move on from whatever thing overwhelmed them and help them create strategies to avoid the event from happening in the future). My trainer made three of the four women in our group cry from her cruel and overly harsh criticism and favouritism of the only male trainee. Something is rotten in safeway and it isn't the nasty deli foods. The young man training with us was a far better trainer that the actual trainer and he only had six months of experience at a small diner. -Don't use secret shoppers, particularly on new employees who are prone to making mistakes and getting flustered when confronted. This really doesn't prove anything about the skills of the employees. -Actually recognize that people have different sized hands and make sure to have different sized gloves that are actually easy to slip on. From the first moment of training, actually enforce proper hygiene procedures. It was so easy for all of us new employees (three years or less) to fall into bad habits like rubbing your chin or eyes with your wrist, picking up stuff from the floor, etc. -Recognize that the environment is damaged by your food practices. I'm disgusted with myself that I was compliant in this. Make changes that help the earth!! -Abide by workers rights; we all have a right to work in a clean and safe store with a working time clock and a place to put our lunch and valuables. We have a right to be trained until we feel comfortable, particularly for employees who are new Canadians or for employees who present mental health concerns. We have a right to be treated with kindness, patience, and respect and to not be afraid of asking questions or for help. We have a right to refuse work that makes us feel unsafe, even if this is frustrating for the experienced deli members. -Go back in time thirty years and think about everything that has gone wrong since. Business is dying here for a reason. Walmart and Superstore and Costco all do the things safeway doesn't; have affordable prices with decent quality products. -Fire the sexist sack of garbage employee who trained people. She's trained for nearly a decade and turnover in the city has increased exponentially according to long-term employees at my old store.

Safeway Canada2016-08-31

"no hours ?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Coquitlam, BC

I have been working at Safeway Canada part-time for more than a year

Pros

there are no pros since sobeyes bought safeway ! although the staff is all very nice

Cons

union , hours given are based on seniority , so if you are on the bottom of the list you may be given no hours at all ! there is no staff discount , no perks and no benefits

Advice to Management

I do not know where to start ! maybe first lower the prices to bring customers in ?

Safeway Canada2015-12-13
  10. "Its a great job"

in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Safeway Canada

Pros

I don't understand why people hate Safeway, the location that I work at seems to be perfect. Application was processed quickly, I had an interview within a week. I didn't get the job, but about a month later the manager called me and she hooked me up with the bakery manager, I got an interview and I got the job on the spot. I had very little hours, but after two weeks later I was cross-training for the... produce department. Now on average I get about 20 - 30 hours a week. (Sometimes a little less). This week I will be cross-training again to be a cashier. The pay is not that bad. You get +0.25c above minimum wage. So I get $10.95 p/hr just to put stuff out, and package stuff. Not that bad. You will also get a 0.65c premium if you work after 7 or 8 I believe, and +$1.00 on Sundays, and there are bunch of other premiums. So the pay is not that bad for an easy job.

Cons

The only downside is sometimes when I get little hours I can't get a lot of the work done within 4 hours. Work/life balance is meh, but honestly I don't care when I didn't have a job I sat home all day playing video games, so pretty much now I have better things to do. To my knowledge there is no benefits at all. Other than dental but you need to work over 250 hours (prohibition period) just to have it.

Safeway Canada2015-08-23
  11. "cashier"

I worked at Safeway Canada part-time

Pros

If you wee a good worker with a good work ethic, management would give you trust and freedom within the work environment. I enjoyed working for the management team at the Oak Bay store and thought the employees and coworkers were friendly with good attitudes.

Cons

I was hired after Safeway began buying out those employees on the old contract, which ultimately meant lower wages and less guaranteed hours with no benefits. Also because you are part of a worker's union some money came off every cheque to go towards dues.

Advice to Management

It was always conveyed by the management that performance was important, but outside of that as long as you showed up for your shift and worked hard, their approach was for the most part friendly and laid back. A nice working environment provided in that regard.

Safeway Canada2015-04-08