Safeway Canada "unionized" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Safeway Canada Employee Reviews about "unionized"

Updated Aug 7, 2018

3.2
Safeway Canada President and COO Chuck Mulvenna
Chuck Mulvenna
Pros
  • "good pay, not much stress, unionized(in 14 reviews)

• "Safeway is unionized, didn't require previous experience(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lack of hours for part-time employees(in 17 reviews)

• "No benefits for part time people(in 10 reviews)

Reviews about "unionized"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good first job"

I worked at Safeway Canada part-time

Pros

Safeway is unionized, didn't require previous experience

Cons

The training videos are boring.

Safeway Canada2018-08-08

"Cashier, grocery clerk"

Former Employee - Cashier/Grocery Clerk in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Safeway Canada full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Unionized, pay increases every 500 hours, good benifits for part timers through the union, benifits for full time through the company. Part time employees get vacation pay at the end of the year. Full timers vacation is payed when you take holidays.

Cons

There is no good way to say this but as soon as Sobeys bought Safeway they have become a uncaring company. Expect to work every weekend and hard. Very little hours given to new hires. They promise hours but within weeks of being hired on they brop those hours down. They expect you to treat them as your first priority, but don't give enough hours to live on. Less staff than they should have on the floor. Management... lie and tell you they care but really don't. Lack of training, a few hours on the computer then down to the wolves. Customers are allowed to miss treat staff, as managment will not side with employees they would rather sell that loaf of bread instead of kicking the rude customer out. They give you power to make decisions, then take it away, then give it back. They don't follow their own policies, but expect employees too. The vacation pay at the end of the year is added on to your regular check so expect large taxes off of it. Exact same pay whether your a courtesy clerk or meat cutter. They use to pay for the position your in, now every one gets the same. Starting wage is minimum yet you pay union dues. They use to have different pay scales for the different positions but no longer. It's minimum.

Advice to Management

Get rid of Sobeys. If you came up through rank and file remember what it's like when it was Safeway.

Safeway Canada2018-05-01

"It keeps the bills at bay while you look for something better."

Former Employee - General Clerk in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Safeway Canada part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great colleagues, unionized and good vacation pay options.

Cons

Demanding hours and managers that have no idea what the real world is.

Safeway Canada2018-05-05
  4. "friendly place to work"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Safeway Canada full-time for less than a year

Pros

good pay, not much stress, unionized

Cons

everything is mostly worked in employees favour. no cons

Advice to Management

good job

Safeway Canada2018-04-13

"Pre-Sobeys Takeover: Overall OK place to work, can be frustrating at times"

Former Employee - Person In Charge in Winnipeg, MB

I worked at Safeway Canada part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

-Pay was ~$21/Hour after being there for 10+ years (if you can get the hours to reach max wage) - might not be attainable with the Sobeys takeover now. -Can be a great work environment depending on the management/coworkers. -Able to be cross-trained across multiple departments to attempt to get more hours (cover for others on vacation). -Raises based on Hours worked - no favoritism for amount of raises. -Decent... benefits for eye care/dental/etc if you meet the minimum hours to qualify for them. -Unionized (can be good or bad depending on the situation).

Cons

-Workload expectations differed between people at the same position - no incentive to work harder, because they will just pile more work at you, while others do the bare minimum at the same position. -People would always take the easy way out and pile things where they don't belong, creating a nightmare for backroom inventory. -Hours being cut at the end of the week to meet sales targets/ratios - short staff on... weekends to work. -Rarely any consequences to not showing up for work.

Advice to Management

-Expect the same level of workload from people. -Staff the stores according to when it's busy, instead of just scheduling people while "you're there" to make it easier on you. -Hold people accountable for their actions - actually do the paperwork to write them up (allowing people to skip work without any consequences, punishes the workers who actually show up for their shifts).

Safeway Canada2017-11-21

"Deli"

in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Safeway Canada for more than 10 years

Pros

Unionized so regular increases in pay.

Cons

Unfair distribution of shifts based on favoratism when part time.

Advice to Management

Find a better training methos. 15 minutes to half an hour a week is not adequate.

Safeway Canada2017-09-16

"Salesperson"

in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Safeway Canada

Pros

Unionized Job security Customer interaction

Cons

Culture is poor. No incentive to work hard Lazy employees are rewarded

Advice to Management

--trust your employees --change attitude

Safeway Canada2016-10-28
  8. "Worst experience of my life; don't work here!"

Deli Clerk in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Safeway Canada for more than a year

Pros

-Coworkers are generally pretty nice and helpful. They are what makes the job bearable. -Most customers are kind people and the really friendly ones can make your day. It's nice to have people genuinely smile at you. -It's unionized. -Always hiring, even in the bad economy. They will literally take anyone. If you're in dire straits, then you can work for minimum wage and not freeze to death while you... wait for even McDonalds or Walmart to give you a call.

Cons

Where to begin... long rant ahead. -Training was awful. They sent me to a store 20km away from the store I was to be employed at, which was ridiculous. The trainer was a nasty sexiest woman who took pleasure in knocking people down and then kicking them while they were down there. She only critiqued women who were training (particularly overweight women) and either ignored questions or got angry when you did... ask. She wanted people to jump in with only a minute or two maximum of instruction, but if people made mistakes, she chewed them out. All-in-all, it was a miserable experience to be involved in. There were times I felt like throwing my uniform in the trash and quitting in a fantastical manner and this was only the first week. It got worse from here. --You get treated much the same in your store (although your supervisor is unlikely to be as bad as the cruel egomaniacs that they have who do the training), only you're expected to do much more without ever asking for guidance. -They expect you to know everything very early on (think within ten minutes of your first training day) and to not make any mistakes or inconvenience people by asking for assistance, particularly one-on-one assistance. -They tell you to ask questions when you need help, but often times they ignore you. -You work on your own very early on which is incredibly stressful -The pay is terrible, there are no benefits, and the hours are really long. -It hurts to be on your feet all day. -Company rules and policies about things like earrings and other piercings, tattoos, hair colour, scruff and beards, social media, etc. are ridiculous and outdated. Having to believe in the brand without ever critically discussing it is incredibly wrong. No wonder safeway is losing tons of customers to Walmart. -The store and breakroom are outdated; the lockers are all busted (and thus there are no safe places to store valuables), there are no windows, the chairs are uncomfortable, small and crowded fridge, etc. -Management uses secret shoppers which is a really nasty thing to do, particularly to new employees who are just learning. I've seen people sobbing in the washroom from this treatment. It sucks to tell them about this practice that the company denies but clearly does. Most of these people quit within a month which results in extremely high rates of turnover and resulted in even more stress. -Mean customers who act like you exist to wait on them hand, foot, and finger. Thankfully this is rare; you might get one person like this out of fifty during an eight hour shift. -The store is dirty; greasy floors in the deli area (so bad that I almost slipped even with brand new non-skid shoes with grip tape on them) with tons of garbage on them and on the counters. Handwashing and proper glove procedure is rarely enforced and when you inadvertently make a hygiene mistake (which could have been prevented with proper reinforcement early on) that someone notices, they will be harsh in their treatment of you, be it a know-it-all customer or lazy supervisors who pick that one moment to humiliate you in front of others. -They throw out a ton of food and keep the ovens on 24/7 which is terrible for the environment. No matter what I said, they were never willing to look at alternatives. -Things were very disorganized. The clock in machine rejected people half the time, the schedule varied like crazy, there were always either too many or too few people working. There were never enough medium and large sized gloves. Breaks tended to be at random times and varied from shift to shift. Always tons of turnover which makes keeping up hard. Can't see the labels on the products which means that people who don't or can't memorize what products look like constantly have to ask customers for help which can be very annoying for them. -This is petty, but the uniform is ugly and uncomfortable. I got a rash from where the seam rubbed my shoulder.

Advice to Management

-Actually have proper training. Let people make mistakes and learn. People were terrified of making mistakes and being publically humiliated as the trainer was cruel, particularly towards the heavier women in the group. Don't train four or five people at the sametime and expect them to pick something up from a minute of verbal and visual instruction and be able to jump in without feeling afraid or requiring help.... People will need lots of help early on as deli has a lot of things to do and become comfortable with. Realistically, people are going to be nervous as heck their first month or two (and they'll be even worse during training) and need firm orders and directives until they can jump in unprompted with confidence and without needing any help. It takes time to get into a groove; to figure out the general placement of objects, learn about food prep and temperatures, and feel comfortable around food and customers. Hands-on, distraction-free training (customer service training should be the last thing to do as it's the thing that comes most naturally and thus needs the least attention) with one other person would be the best way to train people in deli (and probably bakery as well but I've never worked there to know for sure). -Related to the above, don't have a trainer who can be so mean that they make people cry from constant criticism (and don't fire them for crying and being stressed out! Sometimes people get overwhelmed and cry; comfort them, let them feel what they feel, and then encourage them to move on from whatever thing overwhelmed them and help them create strategies to avoid the event from happening in the future). My trainer made three of the four women in our group cry from her cruel and overly harsh criticism and favouritism of the only male trainee. Something is rotten in safeway and it isn't the nasty deli foods. The young man training with us was a far better trainer that the actual trainer and he only had six months of experience at a small diner. -Don't use secret shoppers, particularly on new employees who are prone to making mistakes and getting flustered when confronted. This really doesn't prove anything about the skills of the employees. -Actually recognize that people have different sized hands and make sure to have different sized gloves that are actually easy to slip on. From the first moment of training, actually enforce proper hygiene procedures. It was so easy for all of us new employees (three years or less) to fall into bad habits like rubbing your chin or eyes with your wrist, picking up stuff from the floor, etc. -Recognize that the environment is damaged by your food practices. I'm disgusted with myself that I was compliant in this. Make changes that help the earth!! -Abide by workers rights; we all have a right to work in a clean and safe store with a working time clock and a place to put our lunch and valuables. We have a right to be trained until we feel comfortable, particularly for employees who are new Canadians or for employees who present mental health concerns. We have a right to be treated with kindness, patience, and respect and to not be afraid of asking questions or for help. We have a right to refuse work that makes us feel unsafe, even if this is frustrating for the experienced deli members. -Go back in time thirty years and think about everything that has gone wrong since. Business is dying here for a reason. Walmart and Superstore and Costco all do the things safeway doesn't; have affordable prices with decent quality products. -Fire the sexist sack of garbage employee who trained people. She's trained for nearly a decade and turnover in the city has increased exponentially according to long-term employees at my old store.

Safeway Canada2016-08-31

"The Good and the Bad"

Barista in Richmond, BC

I have been working at Safeway Canada

Pros

Easy to make friends Unionized MOST management are very helpful Raise schedule is not even worthwhile for new hires

Cons

The majority of coworkers were way older The union doesn't care about part-timers it's hard to get enough hours or move from part to full time Some managers are very old school/ sometimes ageist and racist

Advice to Management

There isn't much you can do besides be more considerate of those with less English ability or those who are younger than you. There are some managers that treat us like we are idiots.

Safeway Canada2016-04-16
  10. "Unpleasant"

I worked at Safeway Canada part-time

Pros

Being unionized meant that the pay was pretty good and increases dramatically after you've been there for a few years

Cons

Management was pretty horrible at my location. Not a nice work environment Poor communication between staff and management

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff and address their needs. Think of them as people who have lives rather than numbers or expenses. .

Safeway Canada2015-12-09