Safeway Deli Clerk Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 14, 2020

2.6
Safeway CEO  Bob Miller
Bob Miller
  1. "Organized and Professional"

Former Employee - Deli Clerk

I worked at Safeway part-time for more than a year

Pros

They worked well with my college course schedule and were professional employers.

Cons

Working in the deli when you don't eat any of the items you're serving was challenging, but nothing wrong with the company.

Safeway2019-08-16
  2. "Deli Clerk is challenging and hard work but it is rewarding to those who can handle the load. GREAT team environment."

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Safeway part-time for less than a year

Pros

Team work, fair and friendly managers. Managers work with us and work hard too! Excellent benefits: 401k on day one. superb health care for both part time employees after one year and all full time employees. Union pension after 5 consecutive years too. Pay is guaranteed under union contract so if you prove your prior experience applies to your new position you will be paid accordingly. This can be very significant. For those who thrive in challenging, labor- intensive, customer service environments, this is rewarding and time flies.

Cons

Deli Clerk is a very high labor job. You must be able to perform the required duties in your allotted time. On busy days this can be very challenging. This includes lifting, cooking, assembling, slicing, preparing, hours standing on feet, and lots of deep cleaning. It is not for the faint-hearted but for the right person very rewarding nonetheless.

Advice to Management

Always meet, greet, say goodbye to get to know your employees. Sometimes (only sometimes) management seems a little aloof. Smiles go a long way to make our team stronger, happier, and more efficient.

Safeway2020-01-14
  3. "Loved my job providing superbed service, management was lacking."

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Clearlake Highlands, CA

I worked at Safeway full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Loved the customers and enjoyed providing superbed service. Was happy to work. Would love to work for them again.......,....

Cons

The customer service was lacking and management did not care.

Advice to Management

Listen to employee's

Safeway2020-01-04
  4. "Great starter job"

Former Employee - Deli Clerk

I worked at Safeway part-time

Pros

You gain experience in many different areas, including cistomer service.

Cons

Sometimes its not how long you have worked there but who you know for advancement.

Safeway2019-12-28
  5. "Don't do it...."

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Safeway part-time for less than a year

Pros

close to home, they have the brand and quantity of popcycles I like

Cons

many, many problems - not enough staff who care about the business; not enough staff because the pay is $2 to $3 less per hour compared to other similar businesses

Advice to Management

raise the hourly wage to be competitive with surrounding similar businesses and keep employees so the store is adequately staffed and decent service is provided

Safeway2020-01-01
  6. "Hard but Fair"

Current Employee - Deli Clerk

I have been working at Safeway full-time

Pros

I had a bad day, talked to the manager about it and got time off to deal with it. Coworkers are also wonderful.

Cons

Not enough People working the deli/juggling too many different tasks at once Impatient customers make food safety difficult to adhere to Frequent breakdowns in equipment or equipment in need of proper care and maintenance that seems to take weeks to address

Advice to Management

Hire more people in the deli to spread out the workload and minimize the risk of burnout and lapses in food safety handling, increase pay & decrease hours.

Safeway2019-11-14
  7. "It was alright"

Current Employee - Safeway Deli Clerk

I have been working at Safeway part-time

Pros

You meet nice people that work there

Cons

You do a lot of tasks

Safeway2019-11-05
  8. "Employees are scapegoat"

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Safeway part-time for more than a year

Pros

Ease of entry/easily apply Semi-flexible hours

Cons

- Overloaded with tasks - Poor break policy. Leaves employees exhausted/fatigued. Affects customer service and work efficiency. - Managers publicly belittle and berate employees - Underpaid with a low glass ceiling - Little to no benefits for part time or fulltime - Taking verbal abuse from customers and managers alike - Understaffed while being critized for not completing all tasks without going overtime. Get ridiculed for going overtime to complete tasks. Darned if you, do darned if you don't. - Poor training (sink or swim method), this affects customer satisfaction while green horns are learning.

Advice to Management

Work on a business structure that incentivizes employees to stay and grow in the company. My experience there was scapegoating and intentional sabotage practices. I.e. the business model is to focus on recruitment and overwork green horns to the breaking point of employee termination or quitting. This model works because the people are dispensible, job is low skilled, and the model is a low-costed investment. Don't need to give raises or benefits if they quit or get let go. So might as well overwork them and blame them when they don't meet the growing demands. Morale is low when this happens and employees turn on each other; increasing the already toxic environment. Staff more people even if that affects profit. This will improve customer satisfaction and will ease the task loads so standards can be met. Increase wages. This will improve employee confidence in the company and will retain experienced employees.

Safeway2019-11-21
  9. "Good for Part Time"

I have been working at Safeway part-time

Pros

Flexible hours, you get what you put in.

Cons

Union fees, monotonous work and hard to be recognized

Safeway2019-10-11
  10. "Understaffed"

Current Employee - Deli Clerk

I have been working at Safeway part-time for more than a year

Pros

The people tend to be nice Flexibility in the schedule

Cons

Constantly understaffed High stress environment Constantly on feet Frequent heavy lifting

Advice to Management

Hire enough people to actually staff your departments. It is difficult to operate without enough bodies, especially when someone has to call out suddenly or goes on vacation.

Safeway2019-10-18